U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:30 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,251,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, I did. It was over a year old, still had a couple months left on the warrantee. I got it at CarMax. The asking price was $16,995. I traded in my Ford Explorer, and only had to pay $8,000 to take it off the lot.

So yeah. I paid cash, for a used Jaguar. And so can you, if you're willing to "settle" for an X-Type, and trade in the car you own now.
The X-Type is descended from the Ford Mondeo platform. The Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique, along with the X-Type, were the vehicles off that platform sold in the United States.

I'm thinking Cadillac Cimarron right now. How 'bout you JV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,203,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The X-Type is descended from the Ford Mondeo platform. The Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique, along with the X-Type, were the vehicles off that platform sold in the United States.

I'm thinking Cadillac Cimarron right now. How 'bout you JV?
LOL Crap, I thought it was the Taurus.

I made the same mistake with the Cimarron. I confused an upscale POS for a downscale POS. LOL

Old 05-14-2010, 06:42 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,646,355 times
Not really. The car I bought had very low mileage. I actually went to Car Max trying to find a Toyota Rav for under $20k. I was all set for one of those, had my criteria figured out. Before a trade-in, it had to be under $20k. It had to be new -enough- that there was still time and mileage left on the original warrantee. But the dealers didn't have anything that new, except for actually brand new ones, and the base models they had available started at $23k. I don't buy new cars - can't stand the whole concept of the immediate depreciation the second you take it off the lot. I like my cars already depreciated, thankyouverymuch.

The Jag was a fluke. X-Types were never all that popular - true Jag freaks considered it much too like the Fords that purchased the company, they and the really hideous station wagon they came out with, were the "red-headed stepchildren" of the Jaguar family. But, when I was a little girl, my grandfather gave me a James Bond toy car one year for a present. You'd hold it on the ground and pull back, and it'd propel itself forward when you let go. If you pushed on the antenna, it'd change its license plate. The doors opened and closed. It was MG "Racing Stripe Green." It was a Jaguar XK of one sort or another. All growing up, I thought, some day I'll be rich, and I'll own a Jaguar. My dad and I shared the same love of them.

No, it isn't an XK. It's the step-child of the "real" Jaguars. But it's still a Jaguar. It still has that kitty on the front. It still has a real burlwood dash, and heated leather seats, and automatic everything, and a built-in cell phone system with speakers (I don't have that hooked up but it's cool to think it came with it as a standard feature), and it's in MY racing-stripe green, and the metal step-plates explosed when you open the door have Jaguar etched into them, and it has enough trunk space I could put a week's worth of groceries and room left over to stuff you in there too.

Oh yeah - edited to add - it might've been inspired by a Ford platform, but the engine is still made in England, at the Jaguar plant. And now Ford doesn't even own Jaguar anymore, it's owned by Tata. And they STILL make their engines in England.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
it has enough trunk space I could put a week's worth of groceries and room left over to stuff you in there too.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 PM

15,742 posts, read 22,004,068 times
Quote:
it has enough trunk space I could put a week's worth of groceries and room left over to stuff you in there too.
Tell me how you really feel...!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah - edited to add - it might've been inspired by a Ford platform, but the engine is still made in England, at the Jaguar plant.

"AJ25 The AJ25 is a 2.5 L (2495 cc/152 in) version built in Ford's Cleveland, OH #2 factory. It is stroked to 79.5 mm (3.1 in). It delivers 192 hp (143 kW; 195 PS) at 6800 rpm with 178 lbft (241 Nm) of torque at 3000 rpm from 10.3:1 compression.
This engine is used in the following vehicles:
  • –present Jaguar X-Type 2.5, 194 hp (145 kW; 197 PS) and 180 lbft
  • (240 Nm)"

FAIL................

Old 05-14-2010, 07:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,646,355 times
Interesting. The engine block itself has the engine ID number plate on it, and it refers to England as its country of origin. Also, the wiki article that gave your info as a link, says this on the very top paragraph (From Wikipedia: Jaguar X-Type):

Quote:
The X-Type is a compact executive car which was produced between 2001 and 2009 by Jaguar. It was the smallest of the range of Jaguar saloons, and included the only estate model in the Jaguar range. It was produced at the Halewood assembly facility near Liverpool,[1] a Jaguar Land Rover plant which also produces the Land Rover Freelander.
Your wiki info doesn't cite any references at all. But then, neither did you. Please cite the source when you quote someone else. It's only polite.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Interesting. The engine block itself has the engine ID number plate on it, and it refers to England as its country of origin. Also, the wiki article that gave your info as a link, says this on the very top paragraph (From Wikipedia: Jaguar X-Type)

"V6 ENGINE
The Jaguar AJ-V6 engine is a specialized version of Ford's Duratec 25/30 V6.": Jaguar-Engine.com - Specializing in the 4.0L Reman

And all Duratec 25/30's and AJ's were made in...............Cleveland, Ohio:Ford Mondeo V6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-15-2010, 04:32 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,910,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I moved from Austin, Texas to Connecticut last year and my expenses are about the same. I actually rent a nice condo in Vernon than I had in Texas for a little less money. I own my own consulting business, so I could live anywhere, and I choose to come back to where I grew up because of many social and cultural advantages of the area. I couldn't be happier since moving to Connecticut.

I make a good income for a single person and am a college graduate. However, Connecticut has a higher percentage of people with higher education than any other state and graduates a higher percentage of high school seniors. It seems this drives up the quality and salary for jobs here.

But lets face it, the only real difference in COL here is real estate and taxes. Taxes aren't dramatically different than they are in NY, NJ and Mass. If you need to live in a mansion for $225K, the south is for you. However, there are plenty of affordable towns in Connecticut with decent to good schools where you can raise a family.

Additionally, real estate is based on supply and demand. If you think housing is too expensive and it doesn't go down, well, the market doesn't agree with you. If housing does go down it's a sign that the market thinks housing is overpriced. However, it's never going to be Alabama here... Thank god.
Agreed. Connecticut has a lot to offer and, being comprised of so many different communities, there are numerous options to find a place that fits your budget. Vernon, Bristol, Manchester, Newington, Windsor, Enfield, etc., are just a few communities in the Hartford area where a single person can find an affordable rent while living in a safe environment.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:37 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,203,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Oh, I've only got 27 in the bedroom...You win there. But I've got the subie which evens things out!
Yea but I'm good looking...you can't buy that.

J/K! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or