U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,716,614 times

Advertisements

I'll tell you what: if you have air conditioning, or a pool, or both, then you'll be FINE coming up in the summer. As much as I gripe about being stuck in Connecticut (until my spouse retires, since he pays the bills), there are some things about Connecticut that are awesome, that I'll miss when we move south:

1. Real actual grass. Rye, even.
2. Real actual dirt. Soil. Not imported from anywhere. The kind you can stick your fingers in and find an earthworm when you take your fingers out. There's nothing quite like the smell of cool moist soil.
3. Birds of all sorts. I think every bird that migrates, takes a flight break in Connecticut on their way to and from their starting spots. From hawks to titmouses and eagles to blue jays, and everything inbetween. And vultures, to pick up after the mess that the other birds leave behind.
4. AUTUMN. Nothing says heart-breakingly beautiful, or will bring more joyful tears to your eyes, or convince you that there's "something up there" in heaven, than Autumn in Connecticut.
except maybe...
5. SPRING.
6. Yale University. Yeah we got that.
7. Willoughby's Coffee Roasters. Right in the heart of Yale. Even better.
8. Mamoun's Falafel Palace - you can get it in New York too but why pay extra? They even have free parking in the back. Again - in the Yale area.
9. A decisive lack of 2-inch cockroaches. Take that, Ft. Lauderdale!
10. Hills, that pretend to be mountains. With fresh-water streams.
11. Dairy farms, apple orchards, suburbs, and 7-11 all in the same 2-mile radius.
12. Almost everything growable, will grow in Connecticut.
13. If you're into winter, we got it. Not nearly as bad as Minnesota, and you'll rarely see a moose (except maybe in the zoo). But we have bears that ski down the fake mountain in Meriden and camp out in back yards of North Haven! I KID YOU NOT. Real actual bears!
14. Awesome shopping malls. I think you can get to a shopping mall within 30 minutes of any point in the state. In some areas, you're within 45 minutes of 4 of them (each in a different direction).
15. New York City, and Boston. We're sandwiched between the two. One hour from NYC, 2 hours from Beantown (2.5 if you drive like a normal person, I've made it in 1.50).
16. One main airport, a couple of regional airports, and just around an hour from Newark and LaGuardia, if you're needing a NY flight. If you're in the northeast of Connecticut, Rhode Island and Boston airports are well within an hour's distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:42 PM

362 posts, read 679,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
PS: I live in Enfield
OMG you mentioned Enfield. that place is so backwards, I've seen 14 year old girls with 80s mullets, LOL....I'd say try and move back to FL. my brother's been living there without a job, but loves it. I guess not having a job and living out there with your severence pay is a good thing. I can't even say what it is that I hate about CT because there are just too many for words. I've been here since 13, and I can't wait to move the hell out. Everybody grows up to get married, nobody dates. every woman I've dated since 18 want to get married and have a damn baby, of which I don't care for since I'm from Boston, and I know what it's like to move from a big city to a small one such as the one I live in CT. I live in Hartford, and it's got alot of restaurants and the clubs are OK, but nothing like in FL. I've been out there on vacation, but damn even being in Dallas, Texas was a great experience. I know it could be my being away from home and the grass is always greener on the other side, but CT doesn't really do much to keep it's graduating young professionals. soon as I graduate from school, I'm out of here. I might not go all the way down south, but I will be somewhere away from CT

Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM

90 posts, read 254,657 times
CT is far from HELL. If you want HELL, visit Long Beach, Orlando, Ohio or upstate NY. I think CT is an amazing place to call home, we just gotta get those taxes down!

We almost moved to IOWA and good think we didn't. We visited Des Moines and you can't compare it to CT one bit, the natural beauty. I think that CT is prettier then MASS or RI too. There is something about the milder weather than MASS and the lush trees that is not too common in RI. I don't think Norwalk is as attractive but it is still very nice.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM

262 posts, read 519,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
I might not go all the way down south, but I will be somewhere away from CT
And then you'll probably be back. Typical cycle: College kid says "I'm moving from away from here and never coming back". They move to a city. They live there for a few years and then they meet someone. They get married. Somewhere in their late 20's to early 30's they get a little nostalgic and decide they want a little patch of yard and a picket fence for themselves. You know, someplace with a little more peace and quiet on the weekends. Someplace maybe where they could raise a family. They move to the suburbs. Have kids. Those kids become teens who say "I'm moving away from here and never coming back!".

Old 05-11-2010, 04:41 PM

108 posts, read 234,555 times
Well...normally I don't mind Connecticut, but today I think it is HELL!

I had a pipe hacksawed off of the bottom of my truck and stolen...It won't run over 20 mph and it is really loud now. This happened in the parking lot of my WORK!!!!!!!

I called to report it and was told that this happens very often and those pipes are very expensive. Great..and welcome to Connecticut.

Geez...is there anything people WON'T steal???

One of the few things I liked about living here was my job. Now I am afraid to leave my truck in the parking lot. I can't afford to keep replacing stuff.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 PM

90 posts, read 254,657 times
If ur job was one of the few things you liked here and now you don't like it because someone stole your pipe, then leave, but I'm sure in ure old state things were stolen as much as they are in CT.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:02 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,277,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
Well...normally I don't mind Connecticut, but today I think it is HELL!

I had a pipe hacksawed off of the bottom of my truck and stolen...It won't run over 20 mph and it is really loud now. This happened in the parking lot of my WORK!!!!!!!

I called to report it and was told that this happens very often and those pipes are very expensive. Great..and welcome to Connecticut.

Geez...is there anything people WON'T steal???

One of the few things I liked about living here was my job. Now I am afraid to leave my truck in the parking lot. I can't afford to keep replacing stuff.
Ugh. They stole your catalytic converter. They steal them and sell them to scrap metal dealers. Toyota trucks are a prime target due to the ease of removing their converters.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Ugh. They stole your catalytic converter. They steal them and sell them to scrap metal dealers. Toyota trucks are a prime target due to the ease of removing their converters.
and thats what I have...I'm so furious!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,277,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
and thats what I have...I'm so furious!!!!!!
If it's any consolation, that theft happens nationwide. It could have just as easily happened in places like San Antonio or New Orleans.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If it's any consolation, that theft happens nationwide. It could have just as easily happened in places like San Antonio or New Orleans.
It doesn't make me feel better. I've had this tundra since 2004 and it has never been touched. Never broken into, NOTHING. I've driven it in New Orleans, it has been to San Antonio, and not once has anything happened to my truck.

I leave it in broad daylight in the parking lot where I work.....only after living here for a MONTH and this happens? Wow, I can only imagine what will happen in the next year! Also, factor in that I just started this job and my husband hasn't found a job yet...well do the math. Awful timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or