U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 12:27 PM

112 posts, read 207,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
WOW I'm very surprised that my thread is still going! It's nice to read everyone's posts
Mrs. Carly: I'm very sorry for what happened to you and I would be frustrated too.

Madleb: I would advise you to visit CT before you decide to move up here. If you are a nature lover, all about peace an quiet,do not care about indoors/social activities much , I think you'll be ok here.

I've decided to go back to FL.I'm going to convince my husband to do so. The job market here is TERRIBLE. Getting paid minimum wage has definetly taken a toll on me and lowered my sef esteem..I feel worthless in a way. Did I also mention that I'm working mostly nights and week ends? which are the times I should be spending with my husband.My manager told me that I'm one of the few " that can handle it when it gets very busy" WTH! .I've been to so many interviews with no luck ! not only to mention all the resumes, cover letters I've sent and the follow up calls I've made. I know the economy is down everywhere but I think it's easier for a college student to find a decent paying job in FL.
Honestly, I have to agree with you (as you can see from my former posts LOL). I am younger, single and I can't do it in this state. I'm so sorry that you feel worthless. You should never be in a situation where you feel that way. I feel for you I really do. And I feel for others who don't understand the harsh reality of CT that many many people face here. It's not as easy as many on this board make it sound. Your right about the degree thing, basically in CT having your BS or BA is like having a HS diploma or GED. I wish you the best of luck! I'd be right behind you if my family and friends weren't all in this state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually for $1,100 you will get a pretty nice apartment and it won't even be in Meriden. 2 bedroom, 2 bath in a luxury complex would be around this price. And I am talking a place that offers a pool, tennis and a clubhouse. Jay
Where? Do you have specifics??

Old 05-14-2010, 12:36 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,287,008 times
Tryingtomakeit,

I can't talk too long because I have work, but I don't believe a single soul on this board said "life here is easy" in fact the exact opposite. JayCT and JV consistently say that living here is indeed hard work, but it's doable and may not be easier elsewhere. I'm in your spot really, but I found a few jobs (thank goodness) that allow me a little free time and decent, but not ample, money. I wish the best for you, and if you have a good job opportunity elsewhere maybe that might be your best choice but the truth is that the age of a house once you're out of college with a half acre at least are long gone with the credit market.

~Cheers

Old 05-14-2010, 02:36 PM

24,597 posts, read 40,168,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
Where? Do you have specifics??
Check out any of the luxury complexes in Middletown's West Lake Drive area. You can get a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo rental for under $1,100. Recently Carriage Crossing had a couple of listings on craigslist.com. Jay

Old 05-14-2010, 03:06 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,205,880 times
Quote:
Actually for $1,100 you will get a pretty nice apartment and it won't even be in Meriden. 2 bedroom, 2 bath in a luxury complex would be around this price. And I am talking a place that offers a pool, tennis and a clubhouse. Jay
I agree! I had a nice place in Meriden though...garage and all. I rented in a townhouse complex.

I was going high end, heck if you want to talk 1 bedrooms, you can get a really nice unit here in Manchester for about $850.00 with all the things you mentioned.

Quote:
My issues is not to whine and complain about my own situation. It is to point out how expensive things are in CT. As for triple..okay, well you got me there. My electric bill has tripled in 10yrs (from around $25.00 to over $65.00 and that is not including the summer months and use of A/C). However housing prices and cable prices have doubled so I take back my earlier statement. You also state CT has a low cost for groceries??
If it's not about your situation, why do you keep on talking about it? Do you think people walk around CT saying "gee, I wonder if it's expensive here?" It's ALL OVER THE BOARD. You don't have to start every 3rd thread about it. Please.

Housing has not doubled. It hasn't. If you are talking about that one condo example you keep harping on...let it be known that the condo market from 92-03 was very undervalued.

I purchased in 2002 a house that needed a lot of work for 180K. I put about 40K into it at LEAST not including the sweat equity which is a huge piece of it.

Right now after all that? It's worth about 279K. Wooo a whole $50K increase in almost 10 years.

I hope someone like Rich Lee will chime in with realtor stats.

Electricity here is expensive. No one has said otherwise. But if you think saving $30.00 a month on your electric bill is the silver bullet, again you are in for a big surprise.

Quote:
This is what I found:
"USDA data shows that as of June 2008, the average food package cost in Connecticut was the highest in the nation at $53.35 per participant"
Ahhh I see now. You think by reading things like that you can "nail it down". LOL It doesn't work that way. Sorry. How about you ask the people who have actually lived it? I'm one, Bighouse is another and there are several on the board. You can't just go with statistics alone...see my next comment for example.

Quote:
The cost of rentals has gone from having to earn $14.74/hour for a two bedroom in 1998 to having to earn $21.60/hour in 2009. While not exacly double...it is close. Also, rents are among the highest in the nation in CT:
http://www.nlihc.org/oor/oor2009/housingwagemap.pdf (broken link)
Oh really? So the entire state is the same? So an apartment in Greenwich or Stamford is the same as Meriden? Wow...who knew!

How big of a place? How nice of an area? What amenities? WHAT SECTION OF THE STATE.

Those figures are worthless because our state has such wide swings in such a small place.

Quote:
Your wife could do it...but how long ago was that? $35k got you a LOT more 10yrs ago than it does now.
Really, it's none of your business but we've been married 3 years this June. We didn't shack up prior. I purchased my house without her. Yes...I did what you are saying can't be done.

Quote:
Maybe your wife's college was paid for, maybe she didn't have to take out loans or use credit cards to survive while working full time and going to school full time (with no family monetary support). Everyone's situation is different.
Nope, new car, student loan, everything paid for by herself. CC debt too.

Nice 1 bedroom apt in Wallingford.

Sorry, but I think you are now looking for excuses for yourself. No offense.

So keep on believing what you do, move out, go into shock, take a pay cut and then come on back 10 years later like a lot of people do. The grass isn't always greener. Trust me, I almost went back to NC recently but when that tiny weight on the scales tipping towards NC fell off, it pushed it back to being in CT.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Check out any of the luxury complexes in Middletown's West Lake Drive area. You can get a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo rental for under $1,100. Recently Carriage Crossing had a couple of listings on craigslist.com. Jay
The Mansions in Vernon, and several new or near new "luxury" places in Manchester and also the Mills in Manchester too.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:21 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,184,499 times
Ok...so joining the party late....
to make it work anywhere in this economy...ok boring word I know....but to make it work here or anywhere...

1) don't buy what you can't pay for by the end of your billing cycle...don't give 'em a dime in interest.

2)if you have to finance...finance long for low *required* min payments...but pay up fast on the principal. again.. don't give 'em a dime extra of your money toward interest, but if you get in a jam your monthly is low.

3) you heard the old addage measure twice to cut once...true for getting by too...measure how bad you NEED an item twice, thrice, four times before you buy it... that is true for anything... that extra eat out meal, that extra coffee, those cigs, that cocktail on the weekend.. all your $ could be flying out the door and not on your real LIVING expenses. Boring and not fun, but find your fun in other ways that don't cost $

4) do you just hate CT ~ cause it isn't XYZ somewhere else.. you hate the scenery... the weather... whatever... then Okey dokey... you hate CT ...some folks do... can't please all people all the time...

5) criminals are everywhere and have been since Cain and Able... your car gets jacked, the neighbors forget and leave their car outside and the GPS is gone, checks stolen from mail... identity theft...nationwide

Old 05-15-2010, 10:18 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,911,760 times
I just had a long conversation with a young Polish stairmaker who came here 10 years ago and just became a naturalized citizen. He came here 10 years ago with a $450 ticket he borrowed from his grandfather and never looked back. He told me he learned English at New Britian night classes and studied the Constitution to gain his citizenship. He said that our Constitution is beautiful because it's written for the people and it inspires people like him to try their best and if they fail keep trying.

He has made a good life for himself and his family and says that young people should see the alternatives and they would have much greater appreciation for all the opportunities they have here in the US and in Ct.

He is afraid of the changes happening now because it isn't what he sees in the Constitution that he loves so much.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I just had a long conversation with a young Polish stairmaker who came here 10 years ago and just became a naturalized citizen. He came here 10 years ago with a $450 ticket he borrowed from his grandfather and never looked back. He told me he learned English at New Britian night classes and studied the Constitution to gain his citizenship. He said that our Constitution is beautiful because it's written for the people and it inspires people like him to try their best and if they fail keep trying.

He has made a good life for himself and his family and says that young people should see the alternatives and they would have much greater appreciation for all the opportunities they have here in the US and in Ct.

He is afraid of the changes happening now because it isn't what he sees in the Constitution that he loves so much.
Great story...one that can be told literally millions of times.

The nice folks destroying our country would tell you that he doesn't recognize what's happening in the constitution is because it's "outdated" and supposed to be a "living document". B.S.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The Mansions in Vernon, and several new or near new "luxury" places in Manchester and also the Mills in Manchester too.
Ummmm not being rude here just letting the truth be known...those places you mentioned...ONE is around $1100.

The Mansions in Vernon...2bd starts at $1245/mth and goes up from there.
The Mills??? Clocktower and Velvet start at $950 w/o heat and h/w and go up from there. Lofts at the Mills state "$1050-1390" for a 2bd. Ribbon Mills start at $1190 ( and I wouldn't exactly call any of the mills "luxury".)

The newer places in Manchester?

The pavillions...2bd starts at "$1069-$1139".
Waterford Commons...2bds start at $1230
The Vintage at the Grove...2bds start at $1535

So no excuses made for me here just the plain hard facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or