Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 07:06 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'm telling you, it's the heat. I went off on someone today, and then realized, I was dehydrated, sick of being soaked in sweat, salt incrusted FROM my own sweat, and just damned miserable.
Thanks for bringing the Florida weather up with you. LOL

…and that’s what I was trying to get across to you a month ago before or debate went sour:

Anywhere on the East Coast from the Tri-State area south to Florida…will have periods of heat/humidity from late May through September. The difference is not so much the intensity of that heat/humidity/THI combo…but the duration of it. In winter, there is a huge temperature gradient in the eastern USA from Maine right to Key West, FL. In summer…that gradient is much weaker (but still present).
Here are the highs/lows since June 1st at NWS Bradley…and NWS Charlotte:

NWS Charlotte, NC http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=gsp

June 1 -85/70 F
June 2 -88/67 F
June 3 – 84/69 F
June 4 -86/71 F

NWS Hartford, CT : http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=box

June 1 -83/63 F
June 2 -85/60 F
June 3 – 82/66 F
June 4 -86/64 F

Daily highs at NWS Bradley (in extreme northern Connecticut)…have only been on average 2 F cooler. The mean (average of high/low) monthly temp so far at NWS Bradley 73.6 F ...and 77.5 F at NWS Charlotte. The difference between the two NWS stations is 3.9 F. Next week both stations will see a bit of a less humid flow (temporaly) and slightly cooler (low 80’s Charlotte…upper 70’s Connecticut) temps. This was the point I was trying to make a month ago (before summer started). If you live anywhere on the East Coast below Boston...expect heat/humidity. The big diffecence north to south is duration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
…and that’s what I was trying to get across to you a month ago before or debate went sour:
I knew you would write this. Really. I was waiting for it.

And what I'm trying to get across to YOU is that this is NOT NORMAL.

The average high for June 5th is 75 degrees...not 87. AND it's not going to stay like this for months on end...in fact tomorrow through Tues will be back in the 70's.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:

The average high for June 5th is 75 degrees...not 87. AND it's not going to stay like this for months on end...in fact tomorrow through Tues will be back in the 70's.
I want normal June weather for as long as it lasts. I got back from a 6-mile run a little while ago, and man, it crushed me. The heat really got to me in the middle, but I'm a stubborn dude and don't like to give in, so I toughed it out. But it's so much harder to run when it's hot and humid.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:27 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Quote:

Thank goodness. It was soupy and warm at 9 am this morning. I said to myself, "What if we had this kind of heat everyday?". Give me the 70s any day. Keep the high 80s and above down south.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:

No doubt mean temps across the whole East Coast (including North Carolina) are running above normal (they have been since mid April). The average high at NWS Bradley on June 4th is 77 F (not 75 F)…the average high at NWS Charlotte is 84 F(NOAA Now Data Normals). The normal difference between BDL (in northern CT) and Charlotte is 7 F. Remember, I never said summers where as hot/humid in the Tri-State area as Charlotte, NC…only that there are several times each summer when the temp/humidity conditions differ little along the East Coast south of Boston. Yes, normally it is hotter in Charlotte, NC than in Hartford or NYC. However. That is the typical pattern for heat/high humidity in the Tri-State area…surges and retreats.

Yes, your right...early next week will see temps in the upper 70’s in the Tri-State area and lower humidity somewhat…but a quick look at the GFS ensembles for late next week shows it won’t last –lol. By late next week (or next weekend)…another one of those hot/humid surges may be sending temps into the upper 80’s/lower 90’s across the Ohio Valley and Tri-State area along with a steamy southerly flow.

For those like you who hate heat and humidity…it looks like it’s going to be a long summer.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,477 times
Oh no, you are haven't senn the real hell
----------------------------------
http://carnewsportal.info

Old 06-05-2010, 03:53 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I am convinced that this heat will end as soon as we get our AC replaced and then we will experience the coldest summer on record with the high temperatures in the 60's. It does not matter because I am planning on turning on the new AC as soon as it is installed and not turning it off until November. Jay

Old 06-05-2010, 04:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am convinced that this heat will end as soon as we get our AC replaced and then we will experience the coldest summer on record with the high temperatures in the 60's. It does not matter because I am planning on turning on the new AC as soon as it is installed and not turning it off until November. Jay
Haha, isn't that always the way.

I don't have my air conditioning on yet. I'm trying to resist the modern way of living in which the inside climate is always controlled, with either heat or air conditioning. I try to have some period in which I'm using neither, and I try not to put the air conditioning on until late June, and have it off by early September. It's also very expensive to run, and because of the age and configuration of my house, extremely inefficient.

I can handle a couple of hot days, and if the temperatures return to normal for this time of year, I'll be perfectly comfortable without the air conditioning. But if it continues to be this hot, I'll have to break down and put the air conditioning on.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
That’s always the way it goes –lol. Last year I bought two new AC units, put them in early,…and we had one of the coolest summers in 75 years.

The long term climate of any area seems to average out in the end I think. We go through a few years of cold winters, hot summers, cool summers, warm winters, rainy years, dry years…etc. Look at hurricanes…from 1938 to 1960 - 4 hurricanes hit Connecticut/Long Island (average is once in 20 years)…yet now a hurricane hasn’t hit in 19 years. Look at the winters on the East Coast in the 1960’s and 1970’s (remember the blizzard of 78?)…people were convinced that the next ice age was coming. Then in the 1980’s and 1990’s winters in the eastern USA turned mild with little snow. It all averages out in the end it seems. I think the recent cooler than normal summers (2009, 2007, 2004, 2003) have to be balanced out now by some hotter than normal summers. It’s worth noting that since the warm season started … every month has been above normal (April, May, and the first 5 days of June) at most NWS stations in the Tri-State/Middle Atlantic region.

As an old professor used to say” there is no such thing as normal weather in most of the middle latitudes…just the average of the extremes – lol.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Remember, I never said summers where as hot/humid in the Tri-State area as Charlotte, NC…only that there are several times each summer when the temp/humidity conditions differ little along the East Coast south of Boston. Yes, normally it is hotter in Charlotte, NC than in Hartford or NYC. However. That is the typical pattern for heat/high humidity in the Tri-State area…surges and retreats.
That I agree with. We do have those "hot spots". But trust me, looking at the data may not seem like much of a difference but living in it, it's much hotter much longer with less breaks in the weather in a place like Charlotte.

Let me give you and example of what I mean using the data you provided above.

On June 2nd at 9:30am in Charlotte it was 80 degree already. In Manchester it was 65!

It did not reach 80 degrees in Manchester until 1pm, peaked at 84 around 3pm and was back below 80 after 5pm. So a 4 hour period above 80.

In Charlotte, it was over 80 degrees from 9:30am to 6:00pm an 8.5 hour period. In fact, it never even went below 70 degrees up till midnight where in Manchester it was in the 60's before 10am and after 8pm.

So yes, peak highs may have only been 2 degrees apart, but the duration and amount of heat was significant in comparison.

Quote:
LOL Jay, go purchase a small window unit to at least get the humidity down! It's worth $200.00 for your sanity. You can always sell it second hand and recoupe at least half your costs once the CA gets fixed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut