U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 AM
 
Location: CT
207 posts, read 383,372 times
Reputation: 105

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
So yes, peak highs may have only been 2 degrees apart, but the duration and amount of heat was significant in comparison.
forecast for today: Manchester 85*H/56*L....St.Pete FL 89*H/82*L. @8:45am it is 84* there and 74* here. We considered ourselves lucky if it dropped below 80* at night.

I love it here
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2010, 07:25 AM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 8,289,323 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
That I agree with. We do have those "hot spots". But trust me, looking at the data may not seem like much of a difference but living in it, it's much hotter much longer with less breaks in the weather in a place like Charlotte.

Let me give you and example of what I mean using the data you provided above.

On June 2nd at 9:30am in Charlotte it was 80 degree already. In Manchester it was 65!

It did not reach 80 degrees in Manchester until 1pm, peaked at 84 around 3pm and was back below 80 after 5pm. So a 4 hour period above 80.

In Charlotte, it was over 80 degrees from 9:30am to 6:00pm an 8.5 hour period. In fact, it never even went below 70 degrees up till midnight where in Manchester it was in the 60's before 10am and after 8pm.

So yes, peak highs may have only been 2 degrees apart, but the duration and amount of heat was significant in comparison.

That’s makes sense: Charlotte is at lower latitude, it normally gets hotter faster (annually, and daily)…stays hotter longer…and has more bouts of high heat/humidity. I would agree with that. Remember, I never was trying to say that Charlotte and a station in the tri-State area had equal temps...only that the duration (annually, seasonal, daily…etc) of heat/humidity was the signifcant difference…not the intensity (how hot it gets). Wow, for once we might be in agreement.

However, remember it’s not uncommon for areas in the Tri-State region to have high lows during summer as well. Yesterday was a good example (Sat June 5th): At NWS Bridgeport the 24- hour low was 70 F (the high was 85 F) and at Central Park the low was 70 F (the high was 88 F). Keep in mind…not only is the NWS station at Bradley in a rural area…but it is in extreme northern Connecticut (a few miles from the MA line). Interior southern Connecticut is the hottest region of the state. I would guess that southern interior Connecticut gets a bit warmer early in the day…and stays warmer longer than locations up in northern Connecticut like Manchester or BDL.

If you consider anything from 80 F or over “hot”…keep in mind that while a place like Charlotte will have more days of 80 F (or over)…the normal summer highs across most of the Tri-State region will be 80 F for higher for around 80 -90 days from June to early September. This in a normal year (again, what is normal but an averaging of the extremes). So far this year NWS Bradley has had 23 days with a high temp of 80 F or higher ( the highest 99 F so far)…and summer is still almost three weeks away –lol. So for those who hate heat…I guess they are off to a very bad start.

I guess for winter fans it was a short winter…and it’s going to be a long summer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 07:55 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,669,759 times
Reputation: 20198
The problem with a small window unit, is you have very specific, exclusive options.

1. You can only put it in one room at a time. So, you can hole yourself up in that room when you're home, stay there, enjoy your cool air but never see the rest of the house..
2. You can put it in one room, which won't cool of any of the rest of the house, but keep the door open anyway and spend around 4x the electricity to suck out 1/8 of the moisture (since you're leaving all the windows open in the rest of the house)
3. You can put it in one room, close all the windows in the rest of the house, leave the door to that room open, and cool off that room at around 40% efficiency, while the rest of the house is even worse than ever since that small AC unit *cannot* cool off the rest of the house and the rest of the house now has zero circulation since you just closed all the windows.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Quiet Corner Connecticut
1,335 posts, read 2,835,275 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Keep in mind…not only is the NWS station at Bradley in a rural area…but it is in extreme northern Connecticut (a few miles from the MA line). Interior southern Connecticut is the hottest region of the state. I would guess that southern interior Connecticut gets a bit warmer early in the day…and stays warmer longer than locations up in northern Connecticut like Manchester or BDL.
There's other NWS reporting stations you know. Aside from Bradley and Sikorsky. This includes Danbury, Meriden, Willimantic, Oxford ("Waterbury"), Groton, New Haven, and Brainard-Hartford.

Generally the warmest spots in the state (especially in the summer) tend to be on the I-91 corridor, especially from a few miles inland north. Or that'd be what I'd think anyway. More populated plus at lower elevations.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 18,209,444 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Keep in mind…not only is the NWS station at Bradley in a rural area…but it is in extreme northern Connecticut (a few miles from the MA line)
Yea, I realize that, but I didn't use BDL. (Which I would imagine has a lot of reflective heat as well being open and paved.)

The site I use for historical weather data gives you the choice of what station you want to see for the data. The info above came from a station on Kathleen Way in Manchester...near the mall and BJ's.

The humidity today was obnoxious...at least it wasn't hot and sunny to boot though. Ugh...Mon Tues look spectacular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The problem with a small window unit, is you have very specific, exclusive options.

1. You can only put it in one room at a time. So, you can hole yourself up in that room when you're home, stay there, enjoy your cool air but never see the rest of the house..
2. You can put it in one room, which won't cool of any of the rest of the house, but keep the door open anyway and spend around 4x the electricity to suck out 1/8 of the moisture (since you're leaving all the windows open in the rest of the house)
3. You can put it in one room, close all the windows in the rest of the house, leave the door to that room open, and cool off that room at around 40% efficiency, while the rest of the house is even worse than ever since that small AC unit *cannot* cool off the rest of the house and the rest of the house now has zero circulation since you just closed all the windows.
LOL How did you come to the conclusions you did? Taking electricity and moisture readings around the house? How will opening a door use "4x the electricity"? The unit runs the same pace all the time...it doesn't know you opened the door. lol

I disagree with your post across the board, sorry. I have two 9600 BTU window units at opposite ends of the house. (1600sf) They keep the house nice and cool. At night, shut the bedroom door and make ice cubes without having to cool the entire house down.

In fact, just running one unit on and off through the day knocks about 20% humidity out of the house and makes it very comfortable. 75 and dry is just fine.

So one decent window unit can do a lot to make a home more comfortable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,227 posts, read 25,453,163 times
Reputation: 25181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I have two 9600 BTU window units at opposite ends of the house. (1600sf) They keep the house nice and cool. At night, shut the bedroom door and make ice cubes without having to cool the entire house down.

In fact, just running one unit on and off through the day knocks about 20% humidity out of the house and makes it very comfortable. 75 and dry is just fine.

So one decent window unit can do a lot to make a home more comfortable.
This is for a ranch style house, right?

I live in a split level (totally open concept with cathedral ceiling in the living room/dining room/kitchen level), with three levels above the basement.

Hot air rises. Every room on the uppermost level needs its own AC. The living room level (the middle level) has a massive wall unit that cools that level (think meat locker) and the cold air floats down to the lower level, but it does nothing for the upper level.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,124,715 times
Reputation: 9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hot air rises. Every room on the uppermost level needs its own AC. The living room level (the middle level) has a massive wall unit that cools that level (think meat locker) and the cold air floats down to the lower level, but it does nothing for the upper level.
Why not put a wall unit in the master bedroom to cool it and the master bath? Isn't it just the two of you?

I would buy one of those portable ac's for when company comes for the guest bedroom.

We have zoned ac for our colonial and I am so thrify with it that most days the upper level of bedrooms is off. We aren't up there enough during the day to justify running it all day when we are mostly on the main level.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 03:07 PM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 18,209,444 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
This is for a ranch style house, right?

I live in a split level (totally open concept with cathedral ceiling in the living room/dining room/kitchen level), with three levels above the basement.

Hot air rises. Every room on the uppermost level needs its own AC. The living room level (the middle level) has a massive wall unit that cools that level (think meat locker) and the cold air floats down to the lower level, but it does nothing for the upper level.
No doubt...but that's with any ac system. Cold air sinks, it's physics.

So in your case, you'll need a couple units...however if you do put one decent unit in the "upstairs" the cold air will sink to the lower levels and lower humidity.

I do have a "ranch" but not a typical one. Half the house is two stories with a ground level walk out basement, so the cold air sinks downstairs for me too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,227 posts, read 25,453,163 times
Reputation: 25181
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Why not put a wall unit in the master bedroom to cool it and the master bath? Isn't it just the two of you?

I would buy one of those portable ac's for when company comes for the guest bedroom.

We have zoned ac for our colonial and I am so thrify with it that most days the upper level of bedrooms is off. We aren't up there enough during the day to justify running it all day when we are mostly on the main level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
No doubt...but that's with any ac system. Cold air sinks, it's physics.

So in your case, you'll need a couple units...however if you do put one decent unit in the "upstairs" the cold air will sink to the lower levels and lower humidity.

I do have a "ranch" but not a typical one. Half the house is two stories with a ground level walk out basement, so the cold air sinks downstairs for me too.
We have an AC on the upper level in our bedroom as well as in another bedroom that's my office.

On the living room level, there's the monster unit in the wall.

On the lowest level, just above the basement level, there's one in the guestroom. That's only run when we have company and when it's hot -- with its door closed, it doesn't stay cool with only the living room cold air sinking. It's only run a handful of times per year.

All in all, it's no big deal. We have four air conditioners, only three of which have to be "installed" and "de-installed" per season.

But when all is said and done, I'd sell a member of my family to have central air again, like I used to. I love it like a meat locker. But I'm too frugal to run them to be like a meat locker.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 04:50 PM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 8,289,323 times
Reputation: 2049
…they lived for 200 years in New Orleans, Savannah, Miami, Key West…etc without AC and they survived. Think about those who live Indonesia, Vietnam, the Caribbean, and Burma…etc – how can they take a hot season twice as long as the East Coast with no AC year after year. Humans originate in the tropics not the polar climates.

Just open all the windows…and deal with it. Why fight it?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top