U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
 
Location: CT
207 posts, read 383,434 times
Reputation: 105

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
…they lived for 200 years in New Orleans, Savannah, Miami, Key West…etc without AC and they survived. Think about those who live Indonesia, Vietnam, the Caribbean, and Burma…etc – how can they take a hot season twice as long as the East Coast with no AC year after year. Humans originate in the tropics not the polar climates.

Just open all the windows…and deal with it. Why fight it?

I disagree. We have developed technology to make us more comfortable like running water, electricity, automobiles, etc. Also people migrated to colder climates where they "evolved" to adapt to the colder weather higher altitudes and latitudes.

Just close the windows, turn on the A/C. Why fight it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2010, 08:15 PM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
I disagree.
Me too. If you look at population trends prior to "technology", the colder climates thrived while the hotter climates struggled. And I reject the premise that the "colder climates" were settled first, because some of the oldest settlements in the US are in the Southern climates. (Charleston, St Augstine etc.) After AC was "invented", you see a spike in the hotter climate population, IMO because it was cheap to live there because prior too, no one wanted to deal with the heat.

That's where Maine and other parts North became "vacation land" in the Summer months. Well, that and we've become a society of pencil pushers and keyboard jockeys in air conditioned environs. Most who still "work" for a living, HATE the gross hot weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 PM
 
Location: CT
207 posts, read 383,434 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Me too. If you look at population trends prior to "technology", the colder climates thrived while the hotter climates struggled. And I reject the premise that the "colder climates" were settled first, because some of the oldest settlements in the US are in the Southern climates. (Charleston, St Augstine etc.) After AC was "invented", you see a spike in the hotter climate population, IMO because it was cheap to live there because prior too, no one wanted to deal with the heat.

That's where Maine and other parts North became "vacation land" in the Summer months. Well, that and we've become a society of pencil pushers and keyboard jockeys in air conditioned environs. Anyone who still "works" for a living, HATES the gross hot weather.
don't forget St.Augustine it was founded in the 1560's I think. the oldest city in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 PM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
don't forget St.Augustine it was founded in the 1560's I think. the oldest city in the US
LOL...that's my point! I think the people who went South first were like...uh, you might want to consider the colder parts. Keep in mind these were mostly Europeans who enjoy barely humid and hot California style weather.

Talk about a shock to the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Central Virginia
834 posts, read 1,943,791 times
Reputation: 636
And as someone married to a techie who loves his electronics, I'm constantly reminded that humidity and heat is very bad for computers and tv's. It really does cut their lifespan if they sit in humidity all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: CT
207 posts, read 383,434 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL...that's my point! I think the people who went South first were like...uh, you might want to consider the colder parts. Keep in mind these were mostly Europeans who enjoy barely humid and hot California style weather.

Talk about a shock to the system.
Imagine the shock the Irish slaves had when they were brought to the Americas....straight from a bog in Ireland to the sugar cane fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
And as someone married to a techie who loves his electronics, I'm constantly reminded that humidity and heat is very bad for computers and tv's. It really does cut their lifespan if they sit in humidity all the time.
Whatever...by the time their lifespan is cut in half they are 200% outdated anyway. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
Imagine the shock the Irish slaves had when they were brought to the Americas....straight from a bog in Ireland to the sugar cane fields.
There were white slaves? GASP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 10:50 PM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 8,291,041 times
Reputation: 2049
Humans originate from warm/humid climates…not polar areas. The hot-wet climates of earth are the cradle of life of all types. The tropical zone (from 0 N/S to around 25 N/S) has 70% of the world’s population. The subtropics/warm temp climates (26 N/S to 45 N/S) have another 25% or so. The higher-cold latitudes much above 45 N/S are sparsely populated. Just look at a map and you’ll see this. Why, because humans need a long growing season…warm and wet weather for crop production…and need to be warm to survive long term.

Look at just the USA and the current demographics: The fastest growing areas of the USA are the subtropical South, the southwest, and the mild West Coast. The coldest region of the USA, the upper Midwest…is losing population faster than any other region of the USA. They are closing schools and post offices in “northern” North Dakota…and they will sell you a vacate commercial building for $1 if you bring a business up there. There seems not many takers however. Why…because who wants to fight winds chills of 70 below zero – lol.

I agree extreme heat is unpleasant (and even dangerous) but that’s like when it’s 110 F or so. I’m outside doing digging this time of year often, and LOVE the hot/humid weather. A sunny 85 F day with some humidity is fine by me…I’ll gladly take it over a bitter 20 F gray winter day anytime. From May through October is the time when Connecticut comes alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
 
Location: CT
207 posts, read 383,434 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Humans originate from warm/humid climates…not polar areas. The hot-wet climates of earth are the cradle of life of all types. The tropical zone (from 0 N/S to around 25 N/S) has 70% of the world’s population. The subtropics/warm temp climates (26 N/S to 45 N/S) have another 25% or so. The higher-cold latitudes much above 45 N/S are sparsely populated. Just look at a map and you’ll see this. Why, because humans need a long growing season…warm and wet weather for crop production…and need to be warm to survive long term.

Look at just the USA and the current demographics: The fastest growing areas of the USA are the subtropical South, the southwest, and the mild West Coast. The coldest region of the USA, the upper Midwest…is losing population faster than any other region of the USA. They are closing schools and post offices in “northern” North Dakota…and they will sell you a vacate commercial building for $1 if you bring a business up there. There seems not many takers however. Why…because who wants to fight winds chills of 70 below zero – lol.

I agree extreme heat is unpleasant (and even dangerous) but that’s like when it’s 110 F or so. I’m outside doing digging this time of year often, and LOVE the hot/humid weather. A sunny 85 F day with some humidity is fine by me…I’ll gladly take it over a bitter 20 F gray winter day anytime. From May through October is the time when Connecticut comes alive.
there is a lot going on here...the people that came from the fertile crescent were not farmers. they were and many still are hunter/gatherers. so that has nothing to do with a specific crop season. they changed their diets to fit the particular season. In fact most types of farming started in colder climates because people had to grow food and store it for the winter. This ability of critical thinking is what led us to the advanced civilization that we have today and has enabled us to stay plenty warm for the "long term".

The population boom in the south has nothing to do with the cold and everything to do with immigration.

Heat and cold is all relative to what you're used to and your bodies ability to adapt to the temps.

I can work in 115* heat and have BUT I chose to move to a colder climate and if it is not cold enough for me then it's "meat locker" time with the A/C. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 06:58 AM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,125,358 times
Reputation: 9305
Well there is no need for ac's on a day like today...70's and clear, sunny, no humidity day. Open the windows day!

Forecast is for low 40's tonight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top