U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 PM
 
Location: CT
207 posts, read 383,536 times
Reputation: 105

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They had a negative growth rate because the oldest baby boomers' parents all died. And they were ALL in Florida. Every. Last. One.

More people dying in Florida, because there are more old people in Florida. In the immortal words of Kelly Bundy: "It isn't rocket surgery, ya know."
Funny but not true. read the link I posted. Immigration and economy the two biggest factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,394 posts, read 3,339,924 times
Reputation: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I’m outside doing digging this time of year often, and LOVE the hot/humid weather. A sunny 85 F day with some humidity is fine by me.
Okay, that's you. That's one data point.

I love heat, but only when humidity is 25% or less, thank you. I hate dampness at all temperatures. Now we have two data points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 AM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 8,293,132 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
good you see my point. while one population is shrinking due to birth rates the other is growing due to immigration. You do see the correlation between the two, right. Of course people are going to move where they are more comfortable. You don't have to tell me about that I just moved here from FL a couple of months ago. I know all about retirees . Also immigrants from "Latin America" move to Nevada and the warmer states because that is where they are comfortable oh and it's walking distance.... FL actually had a negative growth rate for the first time since 1946. and it doesn't have anything to with the weather being too cold this past winter.
Florida loses population for the first time since World War II - St. Petersburg Times

People do vacation in cold climates. Ski resorts are doing pretty well.
I got your joke. I thought the ice resort thing was pretty funny too. Oh and the Norse are still in Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, etc. and Minnesota
Well, I stay away from the “immigration issue” with a ten foot pole…as I know emotions are running high because of the AZ debate. However..your premise that warm climate regions of the USA are not growing rapidly (and have been for 30 years)…while the coldest areas of the USA are declining in population…and more importantly, that large numbers of people from cold areas of the USA have moved to warm areas and the weather was a big factor…is simply absurd:

California, coastal Washington state, Florida, Texas, southern Nevada, metro Atlanta, coastal South Carolina, North Carolina, Texas, New Mexico, southern Utah…etc…have seen a steady population growth as jobs, economic opputtinties…and people move. Americans have been steadily moving to the Sunbelt…and many of these people are retires, young families, professionals…etc NOT immigrants. You can check several sites (like the US Census Bearu) and see that “net out migration” numbers in colder areas like the Upper Midwest, Great Lakes, and places like Northern NY (Syracuse, Buffalo…etc). It’s a demographic fact. Yes, Florida and some of the other sunbelt states have seen a slow down in population growth since 2008/2009…however I think the worst economic conditions in 70 years and a loss of $46 billion in the stock market might have played a role in that – lol. Even this “cool winter” in Florida still had vacationers coming south in droves. I was in Ft. Lauderdale in December (the temp was in the 80’s) and we counted plates from 19 different states around the condo. I wonder what a count of plates in central Fargo in December would yield.

If your really interested (I'll see if I can find it today)...there is an article in this (or last) months National Geographic…about how the growing season on the southern tip of Greenland has gotten slightly longer…and the locals are overjoyed with the benefits. The article goes on to say that it was during the last slight warm up the Vikings flourished…then when it turned colder…they suddenly perished.

As far as vacations, yes people do go to cold climates for vacations…but the overwhelming majority flees cold/snowy/overcast areas in favor warm/sunny ones. Must be something in human DNA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 AM
 
5,065 posts, read 13,290,845 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I just checked the 120 hr GFS maps …and that old East Coast monsoon will be strengthening once again by late week - lol. By late week/into the weekend…high temps will be back in the 85 to 90 F range with a humid sultry southerly flow. In fact, we could be looking at the hottest weather so far this summer (well spring) in the Atlantic states. I would not be surprised to see cities like Hartford, NYC, New Haven, Trenton…etc crack 95 F…if the flow edges west a little. So we should enjoy the brief respite of 70’s and lower humidity…by late week it will feel like Jamaica out there again -lol.
Well, I'm not going to get into the immigration debate, but I will say it has been cold here the past few days. I am looking forward to the upcoming weekend weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 AM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,126,186 times
Reputation: 9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Well, I'm not going to get into the immigration debate, but I will say it has been cold here the past few days. I am looking forward to the upcoming weekend weather.
We slept with open windows last night and it was very cold this am!

My kids were buried under their comforters when I woke them up for school!

I heard some parts of NW CT dipped into the high 30's last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 AM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 8,293,132 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
We slept with open windows last night and it was very cold this am!

My kids were buried under their comforters when I woke them up for school!

I heard some parts of NW CT dipped into the high 30's last night.
It went down into upper 40's...in mosr parts of Connecticut (I don't know about the 30's, lol)...but enjoy the fleeting cool...by late week/and into weekend/nest week...temps in the lower 90's and a sultury southerly flow will be back. The GFS looks mean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
 
Location: CT
207 posts, read 383,536 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Well, I stay away from the “immigration issue” with a ten foot pole…as I know emotions are running high because of the AZ debate. However..your premise that warm climate regions of the USA are not growing rapidly (and have been for 30 years)…while the coldest areas of the USA are declining in population…and more importantly, that large numbers of people from cold areas of the USA have moved to warm areas and the weather was a big factor…is simply absurd:

California, coastal Washington state, Florida, Texas, southern Nevada, metro Atlanta, coastal South Carolina, North Carolina, Texas, New Mexico, southern Utah…etc…have seen a steady population growth as jobs, economic opputtinties…and people move. Americans have been steadily moving to the Sunbelt…and many of these people are retires, young families, professionals…etc NOT immigrants. You can check several sites (like the US Census Bearu) and see that “net out migration” numbers in colder areas like the Upper Midwest, Great Lakes, and places like Northern NY (Syracuse, Buffalo…etc). It’s a demographic fact. Yes, Florida and some of the other sunbelt states have seen a slow down in population growth since 2008/2009…however I think the worst economic conditions in 70 years and a loss of $46 billion in the stock market might have played a role in that – lol. Even this “cool winter” in Florida still had vacationers coming south in droves. I was in Ft. Lauderdale in December (the temp was in the 80’s) and we counted plates from 19 different states around the condo. I wonder what a count of plates in central Fargo in December would yield.

If your really interested (I'll see if I can find it today)...there is an article in this (or last) months National Geographic…about how the growing season on the southern tip of Greenland has gotten slightly longer…and the locals are overjoyed with the benefits. The article goes on to say that it was during the last slight warm up the Vikings flourished…then when it turned colder…they suddenly perished.

As far as vacations, yes people do go to cold climates for vacations…but the overwhelming majority flees cold/snowy/overcast areas in favor warm/sunny ones. Must be something in human DNA.
Okay now your twisting words if you look back a couple of pages I said there is a population boom in the south, we agree on that but not the reason. I am done with this "debate" because your not even reading what I posted. we even agree on the economy as the likely reason for the decline (you say "slow down" but in fact it was a loss) in population in FL. where do you think people from these warm states vacation. You are just trying to to be a contrarian while using the same facts I linked too and cherry pick the rest. By you not even looking at immigration you are missing a big piece of the puzzle it's not all of it but the big piece. And I am not trying to spark another debate there I never said legal or illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 8,293,132 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
Okay now your twisting words if you look back a couple of pages I said there is a population boom in the south, we agree on that but not the reason. I am done with this "debate" because your not even reading what I posted. we even agree on the economy as the likely reason for the decline (you say "slow down" but in fact it was a loss) in population in FL. where do you think people from these warm states vacation. You are just trying to to be a contrarian while using the same facts I linked too and cherry pick the rest. By you not even looking at immigration you are missing a big piece of the puzzle it's not all of it but the big piece. And I am not trying to spark another debate there I never said legal or illegal.

I did read what you wrote…maybe I’m not getting what your trying to say…

Your post above (11:02 AM) said “so basically yes you are mostly right about the population growth in those states but the reason is wrong”…(I said many people are moving to the sunbelt for better weather).

So if you are saying that the population growth in the mild climate areas of the USA …are at least “in part” due to a better climate (i.e people move from MI to AZ or FL because the weather is warmer)…then we are in full agreement…

If you think that the current economic crash has something to do with the odd demographics that has taken place in the last 48 months or so…then we are also in full agreement…

However, lets face it...what this debate is really about is the age old battle of climate preference: Since you came on here you have been staunchly defending cold climates and putting down warm climates. I admit freely...I think winter sucks. CT weather is great from April to even late November...but the those four months after I would rather be in Miami for. Your preference must be for cooler/cold climates…and that’s fine, everyone has likes/dislikes. The humid tropical summers of the Tri-State area has its share of haters (wait till this weekend – lol). However, your preference…if you look at demographics in the USA (and globally) are in the minority: Humans move and to…and flourish in…warm/low latitude climates…not cold polar areas. Lets look at it this way: If you got off a plane in Belem in the Amazon Valley, and had only the clothes on your back and knife…you might live if you could learn to hunt and forage. On the other hand…if you got off a plane in central Greenland (with a knife and the clothes on your back)…you would never last! Humans are inhabitants of lowland warm climates…that’s why world demographics look the way they do.

As far as the immigration debate…I was not trying to pin a perspective (for/against… legal/illegal) on you. I simply will not be drawn into another debate about this topic. Especially since all Americans (including you) are immigrants…that is unless you’re an American Indian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,625 posts, read 40,208,466 times
Reputation: 6984
This thread is turning into a debate. Please return to the topic of the OP. Thank you, JayCT, Moderator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 07:48 AM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 18,214,600 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Yes…this is perfect weather…sunny and the upper 70’s. This is when most people don’t need to run anything but the lights and can save money on cooling and heating. However…I just checked the 120 hr GFS maps …and that old East Coast monsoon will be strengthening once again by late week - lol. By late week/into the weekend…high temps will be back in the 85 to 90 F range with a humid sultry southerly flow. In fact, we could be looking at the hottest weather so far this summer (well spring) in the Atlantic states. I would not be surprised to see cities like Hartford, NYC, New Haven, Trenton…etc crack 95 F…if the flow edges west a little. So we should enjoy the brief respite of 70’s and lower humidity…by late week it will feel like Jamaica out there again -lol.

Welcome to summer…
Boy am I glad you were dead wrong. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top