U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 AM

2,893 posts, read 2,982,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think we're talking about different points. I was responding to the first sentence of Portland's post: "CT has the highest rate of people in their 20s/30s leaving and never coming back in the u.s.!". Statistically, that's true. Reasons for it are debatable. The unemployment rate of the said demographic has little to do with the number per capita of the "brain drain".

I doubt WV and MS have young population exodus rates that are higher than CT, simply because they are among the poorest states. Kids leave CT because they have the means to. One point I see made often is that it's due to COL, when in reality, the kids I know who are leaving are going to equally as expensive places: NYC, Chicago, DC, California, etc. I think it's more that they're going where the money is and jobs are rather than going where it's more affordable.
Outside of seeking big city (or "it" cities) life -- the next biggest contributor to leaving is employment. We don't have a jobs crisis for twenty-somethings and generally pay a salary that can cover rent in most parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM

15,813 posts, read 22,118,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
http://pschousing.org/files/PSC_25-3...ange%20(2).pdf

It appears to have slightly improved during the last ten years. CT is now ranked seventh in terms of population decline for 25 to 34 year olds. I think demographics are a huge part of this dynamic--- even California and Virginia registered a decline despite huge population growth (California on a nominal basis and VA on a percentage basis). I do see a few states registered large percentage gains, but all three experienced large gains in population on a percentage basis off a small basis. Utah, Nevada and Idaho were very sparsely populated pre-housing boom.
I believe that. I was going to say in my last post that I think it's gotten better - but it has not been totally eliminated. Connecticut's economy, while not thriving, is definitely holding it's own. Finance in Fairfield County; Medical in New Haven; Insurance in Hartford. All are viewed favorably on a national and even an international level.

Kids in Connecticut have this mentality that it "sucks" here, and it's "boring" here. I definitely felt that way in high school, and I think those who leave are looking for a hip and exciting locale. I had that syndrome, and moved around a bit. So did DW when she was young. We both agree, though, that while it's pricey to live here, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I am noticing that my friends who left after college are slowly moving back as they build families to towns like Southbury, Brookfield and Fairfield - all communities that they would have considered at 19 to be hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or