U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 AM
 
8 posts, read 20,697 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Just a quick little comment. I am in a similar boat. I am 25, getting married in September and I am from NY. Granted, it is a lot closer than FL and if I get really home sick its only a short drive away, but I moved here for my fiance. It was the best career decision for him and I was able to find a job here with the company I worked for in NY. I have lived here about 2 months. CT is actually a lot different from where I am from..it must be the whole NY is not New England thing. I was pretty depressed at first, but it gets better...trust me.

Not sure if you are looking for a new job..not sure how much this position makes..but my office is in Windsor.

https://hostedjobs.openhire.com/epos...L&tosearch=yes
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 AM
 
418 posts, read 1,232,591 times
Reputation: 152
Don't give up, it's always hard getting settled in a new place. Believe me, I've moved a lot during my 20s and it can take as long a year to feel like you're not just visiting and going through the motions. I would recommend volunteering as a way to get to know people and figure out where you fit in. The Greater Hartford Jaycees is another good group for youngish people- slightly more mature than the average 22 year old, like you, who are interested in fun group activities and volunteer events. Subscribe to the local newspaper to find out what's going on, and start getting out there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 AM
 
2,766 posts, read 8,839,168 times
Reputation: 1566
Drive up to Springfield, that's where i always hung out when I lived in your area..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 AM
 
498 posts, read 373,005 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
I'm 22, married and recently moved from FL to CT because my husband is a true new englander at heart and wanted me to experience the change of scenery.So far, I have nothing good to say about CT ,just that it's very pretty with the 4 seasons. I'm very HOMESICK and I'm not sure it's a good move for me even though it's been only 4 months.
I have ZERO social life as it's very hard to find people my age around here! Even though I'm young agewise, I'm very mature and find that girls my age still live with their parents and talk only about clubbing and boyfriends. Where are all the young couples who want to travel, double date, discussing the future? Not also to mention that I'm now working part time as an hostess for $8.00 an hour compared to my full time $13 an hour as an administrative assistant in Florida . My jobs' experiences and education don't seem to help me at landing a good job here. I feel there's NOTHING there for me but EVERYTHING for my husband.
He's been taking care of all the bills since my paycheks are to lbe laughed at and he's been recently promoted and will be making a few dollars extra. I feel guilty when I talk about how depressed I am as things are going well for him, but then again it's not that I liked my Florida job so I can't complain much. I just miss a good paying job and my social life, when I'm not working, studying , looking up for jobs or doing house duties, I'm home in front of the TV doing nothing! So please where can I find 20 something engaged or married couples.

PS: I live in Enfield
Moving from Connecticut back home might be your best bet!!! I was born here and it sucks. I lived in Alabama for a while and long to get back!! It's like once your here you're stuck and it only get's depressing and boring and worse!!The people are snotty and very private so forget the couple thing!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 AM
 
498 posts, read 373,005 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
I'm 22, married and recently moved from FL to CT because my husband is a true new englander at heart and wanted me to experience the change of scenery.So far, I have nothing good to say about CT ,just that it's very pretty with the 4 seasons. I'm very HOMESICK and I'm not sure it's a good move for me even though it's been only 4 months.
I have ZERO social life as it's very hard to find people my age around here! Even though I'm young agewise, I'm very mature and find that girls my age still live with their parents and talk only about clubbing and boyfriends. Where are all the young couples who want to travel, double date, discussing the future? Not also to mention that I'm now working part time as an hostess for $8.00 an hour compared to my full time $13 an hour as an administrative assistant in Florida . My jobs' experiences and education don't seem to help me at landing a good job here. I feel there's NOTHING there for me but EVERYTHING for my husband.
He's been taking care of all the bills since my paycheks are to lbe laughed at and he's been recently promoted and will be making a few dollars extra. I feel guilty when I talk about how depressed I am as things are going well for him, but then again it's not that I liked my Florida job so I can't complain much. I just miss a good paying job and my social life, when I'm not working, studying , looking up for jobs or doing house duties, I'm home in front of the TV doing nothing! So please where can I find 20 something engaged or married couples.

PS: I live in Enfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You really need to get out and meet people. You are homesick and the only way to get rid of that feeling is to meet other people. You should look to join some type of activity that interests you. Maybe take a class at the local community college. Check if there is a newcomers club in town. The main thing is to stop complaining and get out and find people with similar interest. Jay
Jay stop!! You live in a mystical world! You're saying go join a group at a community college!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 AM
 
498 posts, read 373,005 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Enfield is not the most happenin' place in CT. Most of the nightlife/young crowd is in the New Haven area and south toward Stamford. Then again, it's much more expensive to live down there.

Where does your husband work? Can you move to an area that would suit you better? I've been to Enfield a few times and it seems drab and boring. I couldn't imagine living up there. Just my .02

CT is a very hard place to meet people if you're new, but you have to just get out there and strike up a few conversations. Lots of people will be out with their own circle and won't care to chat, but just move past them and brush 'em off.
Is going out the only thing to do in CT?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,568 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Reputation: 6942
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Jay stop!! You live in a mystical world! You're saying go join a group at a community college!
I do NOT live in a "mystical" world. I am merely giving the OP ways to meet people. Complaining about where you live does NOTHING but make things worse. Getting out and meeting people will help the OP feel like she belongs. Just because you do not like it here does not mean everyone agrees with you. Jay
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
 
498 posts, read 373,005 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Enfield is not the most happenin' place in CT. Most of the nightlife/young crowd is in the New Haven area and south toward Stamford. Then again, it's much more expensive to live down there.

Where does your husband work? Can you move to an area that would suit you better? I've been to Enfield a few times and it seems drab and boring. I couldn't imagine living up there. Just my .02

CT is a very hard place to meet people if you're new, but you have to just get out there and strike up a few conversations. Lots of people will be out with their own circle and won't care to chat, but just move past them and brush 'em off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
For one, maybe being 22 and married wasnt such a hot idea did u ever think of that? To me a 22 year that lives on her own is probably more stressed out than she should be anyway.

Also, ur no longer in the south, your in the Northeast where the wheels spin a little faster. College degrees are valued a bit more than all of the skills you may have acquired in your many years of working. Its not too late, get ur butt back in school or you'll make 8 pr/hr for years to come.
Great advice!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 09:34 AM
 
498 posts, read 373,005 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do NOT live in a "mystical" world. I am merely giving the OP ways to meet people. Complaining about where you live does NOTHING but make things worse. Getting out and meeting people will help the OP feel like she belongs. Just because you do not like it here does not mean everyone agrees with you. Jay
LOL!!! Your correct and i agree!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 AM
 
498 posts, read 373,005 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do NOT live in a "mystical" world. I am merely giving the OP ways to meet people. Complaining about where you live does NOTHING but make things worse. Getting out and meeting people will help the OP feel like she belongs. Just because you do not like it here does not mean everyone agrees with you. Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
Jack, that was a VERY rude comment.

You can't help when you meet the love of your life. It can be age 21, or age 40. Also, in my line of work I am trying to help people with education beyond their masters get a job. She just said she left an $13.00 an hour job in Florida where the living is MUCH cheaper than here! In Texas I left because I could not find a job...I have my masters, so it is NOT all about education.

It is just difficult,PERIOD, to meet new people and make lasting friendships. I lived in Austin for a couple of years before I met TRUE BLUE friends that were more than just bar hopping buddies. Even then it was through work and school.

I agree with Jay, meetup.com would be a great way to make friends. CT is so compact that you can drive 30 minutes to another town to see a friend whereas in Florida you would drive 30 minutes to see a friend in the same city. Although people seem to think New Haven is the happening place to be, many areas in NH are also very dangerous. To be honest, I would prefer to be in a nice, quiet, safe town and just drive a little ways to do "fun" stuff.
Good advice Mrs.Carly!!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top