U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:57 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,805,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Four months is a very short time to get used to a new state. It took me two years to get used to CT and I just moved from NY. Give it some time.
Add to that the four months in question: January, February, March, and April...not exactly the easiest months to be neighborly or social. When I wrote my car club's newsletter, a member from Alabama "quit" the club. When I asked him why, he said that he was looking for a club that was active year-round and not 8 months out of the year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,120,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
I have ZERO social life as it's very hard to find people my age around here! Even though I'm young agewise, I'm very mature and find that girls my age still live with their parents and talk only about clubbing and boyfriends. Where are all the young couples who want to travel, double date, discussing the future?

I feel guilty when I talk about how depressed I am as things are going well for him, but then again it's not that I liked my Florida job so I can't complain much. I just miss a good paying job and my social life, when I'm not working, studying , looking up for jobs or doing house duties, I'm home in front of the TV doing nothing! So please where can I find 20 something engaged or married couples.
22 is very young to be married in CT. The high cost of living has young people saving and marrying later. Many are in fast career drive at that age.

Here are a couple of ideas to meet people:

Have your husband invite some coworkers and their spouses/dates over for dinner or go out to dinner with them.

See if any coworkers are going out for "Friday Happy Hour" and join your hubby there.

Join a gym (I recommend one that has female only sections) and take some classes. As you take the same class, you will slowly get to know the other regulars there.

Enroll in a class...any type of class...scholastic or hobby or both.

Volunteer

Join a church or synagogue

Jobs are hard to come by but I would look at bigger companies where there are a high number of young employees for you to befriend.

Enjoy the one on one "newlywed" time with your hubby...that should be treasured!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Add to that the four months in question: January, February, March, and April...not exactly the easiest months to be neighborly or social. When I wrote my car club's newsletter, a member from Alabama "quit" the club. When I asked him why, he said that he was looking for a club that was active year-round and not 8 months out of the year!
What is a car club???

Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 PM

184 posts, read 373,141 times
People in the NE, get schooled to death. They have to have all these degrees. College is easy. you go there, memorize crap and then get your DEGREE. Nevermind real life experience, which counts for more and you learn from.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot66 View Post
People in the NE, get schooled to death. They have to have all these degrees. College is easy. you go there, memorize crap and then get your DEGREE. Nevermind real life experience, which counts for more and you learn from.
And this is helpful to the OP how?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:33 PM

184 posts, read 373,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
And this is helpful to the OP how?
I'm saying this as conversation, not to help the OP.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 PM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
What is a car club???
It is a group of people who get together to socialize with others who own the same type of cars. There are all types of car clubs including Corvette Clubs, Mustang Clubs, Classic Car Clubs, etc... Jay

Old 04-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is a group of people who get together to socialize with others who own the same type of cars. There are all types of car clubs including Corvette Clubs, Mustang Clubs, Classic Car Clubs, etc... Jay
Don't laugh...in my case, it was for automobiles marketed under the Imperial division of Chrysler Corporation (as in Plymouth, Dodge, De Soto, Chrysler, and Imperial). My two are Le Barons ('62 and '64). Whatever you do, don't call them Chrysler Imperials! My '62 Imperial Le Baron 4-door Southamption was originally sold in Connecticut and re-sold a year later by Bridgeport Lincoln-Mercury (in September, 1962, as a year-old car). The second owner, who lives in Wallingford, and I have been in contact.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 04-23-2010 at 10:01 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 PM

56 posts, read 118,733 times
Renovating- I have noticed that people here in CT do get married at a later age, that's why I feel the only similarity that I share with the girls at my work is the age but we definetly have different interests as they are more into clubbing and staying up late. I might be only 22 but I can't stay awake past 1 o'clock. A lot of you suggested volunteering and joining a church group. I am definetly looking into that as I have a church 5 mnts away from my house. I admit that all of you gave me good options and it's time for me to take my butt of the couch and do something!

Ambarstone: I agree 4 months is not enough time for me to start judging so I'm going to stop complaining now. Thank you for the job link but Fairfield county is far away from me. I have found some really good ads on Craiglists and Career builder, so finger crossed!

JayCt: thank you for Clearing that up. I was going to ask the same question.

Richlee: Can I get more information about the car club thing? Is it only for luxurous car? I think this is something my husband could be interested in. He LOVES his jeep wrangler. He has that weird habit of waving to everyone with a jeep wrangler! LOL

Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
Renovating-Richlee: Can I get more information about the car club thing? Is it only for luxurious car? I think this is something my husband could be interested in. He LOVES his JEEP® Wrangler. He has that weird habit of waving to everyone with a JEEP® Wrangler! LOL
What you and he will probably want to do is 1) get a copy of Hemming's Motor News, 2) google JEEP® owners' club and/or jamboree, 3) attend some of the larger shows in the area. One of the bigger ones is coming up: Rhinebeck (as in New York)! Rhinebeck Car Show 2010 Connecticut's best show (IMO) isn't until September in Southbury. I know what you mean about JEEPs®. My brother-in-law and sister go on JEEP® Jamborees and rave about the camaraderie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or