Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 PM

56 posts, read 134,842 times

Advertisements

Could someone please tell me what "OP" means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 12:29 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
Could someone please tell me what "OP" means?
Original Poster.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:36 PM

138 posts, read 420,838 times
"Plus it all depends on where a person goes within a state. I'm sure if a person moved from College Hill or Seminole Heights in Tampa to Newtown or Litchfield Connecticut, they would think they were in Heaven."

Good point! Don't forget Suitcase City up near USF.
And it's very true about a native Floridian moving to another southern state. How I look at it is why move to a state right above mine that is just as hot but lacks beaches? Alabama, no thanks. Georgia - Atlanta is fun to visit as is Savannah, but that's about it. South Carolina is just a state you pass through to get to North Carolina so Floridians can get a dose of snow. And Tennessee - I'm not even gonna touch that one, y'all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
lol, this is sooo true. There is no sweat like Florida sweat. You sweat in places you didn't know you had pores.

I'm glad that you have been able to find some good in Connecticut. I think every state has something to offer.
You are definitely a Floridian and you sound like you truly belong in Florida. It's good to hear you will be moving back. Why live someplace that you don't love?
I hope my comments to the original poster didn't sound rude. I know of 5 people who moved from Florida and didn't move back....my parents, my brother, my husband and me. Anyone else who did move, especially a Florida native, ended up moving back. There are many people who can leave a state and move to another and land on their feet. Florida people just don't work that way. From what I hear, California and Arizona natives are like that too. It's like they are solar powered. They can't function without the sun and heat, lol.
When we were planning on moving, I can't tell you how many times my husband and I heard, "Oh you'll be back." I knew they were basing that on seeing people move and actually come back. It's funny because the rest of the south is kind of interchangeable. I've had family move from Georgia to Tennessee, from South Carolina to Georgia, from North Carolina to Virginia and they were just fine. No real adjustments.

Florida is so unique that most Florida people aren't even happy in other southern states. My brother in law moved from FL to Alabama and came back one year later. He said Alabama was too cold and weird for him. Another friend of ours moved from Florida to Charlotte, NC and came back a year later. A co-worker of mine had moved to Atlanta a few years before and came back to Tampa. So it's not just the northeast that's the issue. I think it would be just as hard had you, or this original poster moved to another southern state.
Plus it all depends on where a person goes within a state. I'm sure if a person moved from College Hill or Seminole Heights in Tampa to Newtown or Litchfield Connecticut, they would think they were in Heaven.

I recently looked a homes online and I can see why Florida is in what they are calling a "free falling" state regarding home prices. My parents' house was bought in 1993 for 129k, sold for 160k in 2001, by 2004 it sold again for 350k, now it's listed as a short sale for 149k. So real estate in Florida has become realistic again. Unlike here where 300k will buy you a nice fixer upper circa 1970.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,428 times
Quote:
Don't forget Suitcase City up near USF.
ahh yes suitcase city. I hear its lovely this time of year.
I went to FSU and but transferred and graduated from USF back in the 90's. That was when you could actually go to University mall without worrying about getting shot. If I still lived in FL now, I think I would have just avoided USF all together.

Quote:
Alabama, no thanks. Georgia - Atlanta is fun to visit as is Savannah, but that's about it. South Carolina is just a state you pass through to get to North Carolina so Floridians can get a dose of snow. And Tennessee - I'm not even gonna touch that one, y'all.
See? I'm tellin' ya. Florida people should never leave unless it's going on vacation. As soon as they cross the Florida state line they flail about like Michael Flatley Lord of the Dance people. Only worse.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:42 PM

207 posts, read 452,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
See? I'm tellin' ya. Florida people should never leave unless it's going on vacation. As soon as they cross the Florida state line they flail about like Michael Flatley Lord of the Dance people. Only worse.
You should think about what your saying because you sound like a bigot. the majority of people who live in Florida moved there from somewhere else. Rarely do you meet a native Floridian. So you have met a handful of people who didn't like it here and moved back. How many times do you need to post the same thing? We get it you don't like anyone born in Florida. Why don't you start your own thread bashing all 18+ million people that live there. If you want to bash Florida fine, I hated it there, but quit making generalities about "Florida people". There is this new revolutionary idea about judging people by the content of their character, each person individually. How are you going to be judged. Are you coming off as someone who is tolerant of other people or a xenophobe.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 PM

56 posts, read 134,842 times
I agree with FBam , MOST of Florida residents is made up of people coming from other countries or other states. The small percentage of "true" Floridian natives can be found in the Northern parts (Panama city, Fort Pierce ect..) which are the quieter areas of Florida; On the other hand, I also agree with Shoeboard ,coming from such a big city state as Florida to an Urban state as Connecticut can be a difficult adjustement, but it all depends on the person. Every states has their pros and cons. Some few examples:
Pros:
Warm weather all year long, access to the beach at anytime, variety of food, restaurants, clubs, malls, park attractions ( Disney world,Universal studio, Bush gardens ect..), exposure to other cultures.
Cons:
Florida has very high crime rate, spanish as a second language ( which can minimize your employement luck), prone for hurricanes, VERY crowded. Bad drivers!

I haven't lived in CT for that long but based on my observations and experiences..
Pros: Beauty of the 4 seasons (minus the winter! hehe), a lot of nice towns , conservative ( you don't see people walking around in bras and panties), being able to do both indoor and outdoor activities

Cons: EXPENSIVE (oh yeah VERY EXPENSIVE!!!!!) , tight job market ,not much to do meaning lack of variety of shopping centers, restaurants ect..

So it all depends on the person and what you value most

Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
I agree with FBam , MOST of Florida residents is made up of people coming from other countries or other states. The small percentage of "true" Floridian natives can be found in the Northern parts (Panama city, Fort Pierce ect..) which are the quieter areas of Florida; On the other hand, I also agree with Shoeboard ,coming from such a big city state as Florida to an Urban state as Connecticut can be a difficult adjustement, but it all depends on the person. Every states has their pros and cons. Some few examples:
Pros:
Warm weather all year long, access to the beach at anytime, variety of food, restaurants, clubs, malls, park attractions ( Disney world,Universal studio, Bush gardens ect..), exposure to other cultures.
Cons:
Florida has very high crime rate, spanish as a second language ( which can minimize your employement luck), prone for hurricanes, VERY crowded. Bad drivers!

I haven't lived in CT for that long but based on my observations and experiences..
Pros: Beauty of the 4 seasons (minus the winter! hehe), a lot of nice towns , conservative ( you don't see people walking around in bras and panties), being able to do both indoor and outdoor activities

Cons: EXPENSIVE (oh yeah VERY EXPENSIVE!!!!!) , tight job market ,not much to do meaning lack of variety of shopping centers, restaurants ect..

So it all depends on the person and what you value most
Has anyone ever sat in a July Florida sun? It feels like the sun is about 100 miles away and all its rays are pointed at you. I lived in Florida for 6 weeks. Went out one night , got halfway to the bars and was SOAKED with sweat. Went home changed, got about halfway, soaked again. Called it a night, called my old boss in CT, luckily got my job back and got the HELL(no pun intended) out of there the next week. So calling warm weather a pro is truly in the eye of the beholder...

Old 04-28-2010, 07:36 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Just to be fair to perspectives…there seems to be a lot of “heat haters or heat sensitive” people on the CT forums (and other forums as well). To be fair…it works both ways:

There are plenty of people in the Tri-State area who love hot summer weather with temps in the 80’s and 90’s, sunshine…hate snow/cold and could care less about change of seasons. I think the climate of our region is nice from April through mid November…after that I’d rather be in Florida that’s for sure. I find little that is “invigorating” about a 30 F, windy, overcast day in February in CT. It amazes me even more… that there are Americans who live in colder, snowier, and cloudier climates than the Tri-State area like the Great Lakes, Upper Midwest…etc and take it year after year. There are plenty of people who find a humid 85 - 90 F day a lot more comfortable than an overcast, gloomy, blustery, 30 F day. People go to the Caribbean from all over the world just to find such weather. Many times I stayed with family in Florida the whole summer (June- Sept)…and found I enjoyed it far more than the Dec – March period in CT.

For me personally…the only thing that makes winters in the Tri-State area tolrable...is that Florida is so close. This is why people move from places like Russia, Canada, Europe, and the Northern USA to Florida...they want heat and not cold. Heat/cold tolerances and enjoyment differ greatly from person to person.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM

108 posts, read 270,646 times
Yep, there are quite a few "heat haters" on the forum. Even in my office people will complain "it is so hot in here" and I'm adding layers! I don't mind the heat...as long as I have AC. Without AC, I feel lucky that it will be spent in CT, otherwise I doubt I would make it. I visited here during the month of February (right after that crazy weather week) and found that although it was cold here...it was a different kind of cold than in the south, it didn't feel AS cold even though it was snowing. Hard to explain....maybe the pretty snow made it more bearable ;-)

Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 AM

834 posts, read 2,278,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
You should think about what your saying because you sound like a bigot. the majority of people who live in Florida moved there from somewhere else. Rarely do you meet a native Floridian. So you have met a handful of people who didn't like it here and moved back. How many times do you need to post the same thing? We get it you don't like anyone born in Florida. Why don't you start your own thread bashing all 18+ million people that live there. If you want to bash Florida fine, I hated it there, but quit making generalities about "Florida people". There is this new revolutionary idea about judging people by the content of their character, each person individually. How are you going to be judged. Are you coming off as someone who is tolerant of other people or a xenophobe.
thanks for the laugh. I didn't realize that Floridian was a race. I think of it as more of a tribe.

I lived in Florida for 15 years and my husband was born and raised there. We share the same observations.

There are two kinds of people. Those like me who simply lived in Florida. And then there are "Florida people" These people are made up of natives and transplants. One doesn't have to have been born in Florida to be a Florida person. They simply have to shut down when its below 75. Those are the only qualifications.
I am referring to the type of person that cannot function without hot weather and sun. They freak out if it's cloudy. They walk around bundled up in sweaters when its below 75 praying for the cold to end. They would rather deal with a hurricane than 50 degree or worse...flurries! These are called Florida people. They are a special breed all their own. Don't hate them. Don't fear them. Don't even pity them. They are a happy people as long as they can sun themselves like lizards on a rock. Moving them to Connecticut would be like moving a gecko to New Hampshire. It just doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut