Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 04:41 PM

220 posts, read 523,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogspott View Post
CT is far from HELL. If you want HELL, visit Long Beach, Orlando, Ohio or upstate NY. I think CT is an amazing place to call home, we just gotta get those taxes down!
Wait a minute...I grew up in upstate NY and it is FAR from hell! I've seen parts of New Haven that are much worse. Upstate NY is actually quite pleasant.

Mrs. Carly - I think you should strongly consider moving to another part of New Haven if you are able to get out of your lease. It might be worth it for your sanity. I'd be bummed too if I were living in the part of town where you are. It won't help with the car part stealing since that could happen anywhere and it was at your job, but the streets are cleaner and the neighborhood is nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM

9,300 posts, read 16,602,771 times
Quote:
CT is far from HELL. If you want HELL, visit Long Beach, Orlando, Ohio or upstate NY. I think CT is an amazing place to call home, we just gotta get those taxes down!

We almost moved to IOWA and good think we didn't. We visited Des Moines and you can't compare it to CT one bit, the natural beauty. I think that CT is prettier then MASS or RI too. There is something about the milder weather than MASS and the lush trees that is not too common in RI. I don't think Norwalk is as attractive but it is still very nice.
I have to disagree with you regarding upstate NY. The adirondack area is a beautiful place with friendly people and Saratoga Springs. It's country, mountains, lakes and a great walkable downtown in Saratoga.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM

21,582 posts, read 31,016,073 times
Quote:
We almost moved to IOWA and good think we didn't. We visited Des Moines and you can't compare it to CT one bit, the natural beauty. I think that CT is prettier then MASS or RI too. There is something about the milder weather than MASS and the lush trees that is not too common in RI. I don't think Norwalk is as attractive but it is still very nice.
Do you mean Idaho?

Old 05-11-2010, 05:31 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,946,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
It doesn't make me feel better. I've had this tundra since 2004 and it has never been touched. Never broken into, NOTHING. I've driven it in New Orleans, it has been to San Antonio, and not once has anything happened to my truck.

I leave it in broad daylight in the parking lot where I work.....only after living here for a MONTH and this happens? Wow, I can only imagine what will happen in the next year! Also, factor in that I just started this job and my husband hasn't found a job yet...well do the math. Awful timing.
I'm not sure where you work but the chances of it happening in another part of the country are actually higher. We are actually behind the crime trends. LOL

Our nation is heading down fast, things like having your cat hacked will be common place...hang on.

Do yourself a favor and don't go to the dealership because they will set you back to the tune of about $1K all said and done. Find a mom and pop muffler shop and have them put an aftermarket converter in. You'll save big bucks in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Do you mean Idaho?
Des Moines is in Iowa.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Des Moines is in Iowa.
Doh! My bad...I guess I need to brush up on my Geography.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 PM

83,349 posts, read 74,753,948 times
Gees another "bad area' thread. LOL Mine isn't about the actual area...it's about my needs of less people, more snow, less stress, and more affordable prices. CT isn't actually "hell"...

Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 PM

207 posts, read 451,193 times
Quote:
Well...normally I don't mind Connecticut, but today I think it is HELL!

I had a pipe hacksawed off of the bottom of my truck and stolen...It won't run over 20 mph and it is really loud now. This happened in the parking lot of my WORK!!!!!!!

I called to report it and was told that this happens very often and those pipes are very expensive. Great..and welcome to Connecticut.

Geez...is there anything people WON'T steal???

One of the few things I liked about living here was my job. Now I am afraid to leave my truck in the parking lot. I can't afford to keep replacing stuff.
That happens all the time in Tampa bay, it's an epidemic. Its better than your A/C compressor or your copper gas lines under your house which is very common there (and several people have been killed by the gas).

Old 05-11-2010, 06:28 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,946,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
That happens all the time in Tampa bay, it's an epidemic. Its better than your A/C compressor or your copper gas lines under your house which is very common there (and several people have been killed by the gas).
LOL I've seen that on some homes down South...snip snip - "Honey, it's kind of warm in here"...AC unit GONE. LOL

Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 PM

108 posts, read 269,757 times
[quote=JViello;14135025]I'm not sure where you work but the chances of it happening in another part of the country are actually higher. We are actually behind the crime trends. LOL

Our nation is heading down fast, things like having your cat hacked will be common place...hang on.

Do yourself a favor and don't go to the dealership because they will set you back to the tune of about $1K all said and done. Find a mom and pop muffler shop and have them put an aftermarket converter in. You'll save big bucks in the long run.

New Haven isn't behind in the crime trends. I did a little research before I left Austin...Austin actually has less crimes committed than New Haven...New Haven has what...150,000 people whereas Austin has 1,000,000.

NH had a job for me though, Austin didn't.

I'm just in a bad mood about my vehicle. Most of the time I don't mind Connecticut. Do I want to live here for 20 years...no, but I (or rather my bank account) can handle it for a couple of years.

Inetlom--I wish I could get out of my lease, but unfortunately cannot. My landlord lives on the second floor and he thinks this neighborhood and New Haven is "wonderful". I'm getting used to it. All this time I've been so worried about my truck at home, but I guess I have to worry about it in other areas too! It just makes me so angry that people steal things that DO NOT belong to them. I work very hard for my money (as many people do) and it really ticks me off that someone can just come along and take something that I paid for with MY money!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
New Haven isn't behind in the crime trends. I did a little research before I left Austin...Austin actually has less crimes committed than New Haven...New Haven has what...150,000 people whereas Austin has 1,000,000.
Look at the square mileage of each city, then get back to us.

And while you're getting back to us, please don't rant about how much you hate New Haven. We here in Connecticut know where our flaws are - we don't need to be lectured about them by someone who has only lived here for a few months (IF said stories are true).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut