Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,941,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Well there is no need for ac's on a day like today...70's and clear, sunny, no humidity day. Open the windows day!

Forecast is for low 40's tonight...
Ahhhhh yessssss...

CT is on that "line" between the cold North and hot South, so the weather ocillates back and forth.

Nothing beats a cold front coming down from the North in the evening...it's like God flipped on the AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:23 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,325,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
there is a lot going on here...the people that came from the fertile crescent were not farmers. they were and many still are hunter/gatherers. so that has nothing to do with a specific crop season. they changed their diets to fit the particular season. In fact most types of farming started in colder climates because people had to grow food and store it for the winter. This ability of critical thinking is what led us to the advanced civilization that we have today and has enabled us to stay plenty warm for the "long term".

The population boom in the south has nothing to do with the cold and everything to do with immigration.

Heat and cold is all relative to what you're used to and your bodies ability to adapt to the temps.

I can work in 115* heat and have BUT I chose to move to a colder climate and if it is not cold enough for me then it's "meat locker" time with the A/C. LOL
Not real sure where you are getting that info from…but it is not really accurate.

The mild climate regions of the USA are growing as more people move to the sunbelt (they have been since the 1970’s) to take advantage of warmer weather and the economic opportunities that brings. By far the fastest growing areas of the USA are in the warmer/mild climates (FL, NV, AZ, CA, NC, …etc)…while places in the Upper Midwest, Great Lakes, and even parts of the upper Northeast (MA, Northern NY) are losing population at a record pace. Just check the US Census Bureau web site. I have family in two Sunbelt areas (Florida and Arizona)…and their street is filled with transplants from the northern USA…yet how many from AZ or FL are relocating to Minn or North Dakota by comparison? We’re lucky in the Tri-State area winters are generally not too bad…but many folks even here…head to warm climates for the winter months just to get away from cold/snow.

As far as early humans…most of the earliest civilizations were in the lower latitudes. The “fertile crescent” is now what is Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestinian Territories, parts of Turkey…etc – all low latitude warm climates. Globally, whether in monsoon East Asia/Southeast Asia, Central America, South America…etc humans grew and flourished in warm climates...not cold ones. Why…because eventually all human civilizations have depended on agriculture for subsistence…and nothing grows in the cold high latitudes.

As a comic once said…there are no resorts in the Arctic – lol.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 AM

Yes…this is perfect weather…sunny and the upper 70’s. This is when most people don’t need to run anything but the lights and can save money on cooling and heating. However…I just checked the 120 hr GFS maps …and that old East Coast monsoon will be strengthening once again by late week - lol. By late week/into the weekend…high temps will be back in the 85 to 90 F range with a humid sultry southerly flow. In fact, we could be looking at the hottest weather so far this summer (well spring) in the Atlantic states. I would not be surprised to see cities like Hartford, NYC, New Haven, Trenton…etc crack 95 F…if the flow edges west a little. So we should enjoy the brief respite of 70’s and lower humidity…by late week it will feel like Jamaica out there again -lol.

Welcome to summer…

Old 06-07-2010, 11:02 AM

207 posts, read 451,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Not real sure where you are getting that info from…but it is not really accurate.

The mild climate regions of the USA are growing as more people move to the sunbelt (they have been since the 1970’s) to take advantage of warmer weather and the economic opportunities that brings. By far the fastest growing areas of the USA are in the warmer/mild climates (FL, NV, AZ, CA, NC, …etc)…while places in the Upper Midwest, Great Lakes, and even parts of the upper Northeast (MA, Northern NY) are losing population at a record pace. Just check the US Census Bureau web site. I have family in two Sunbelt areas (Florida and Arizona)…and their street is filled with transplants from the northern USA…yet how many from AZ or FL are relocating to Minn or North Dakota by comparison? We’re lucky in the Tri-State area winters are generally not too bad…but many folks even here…head to warm climates for the winter months just to get away from cold/snow.

As far as early humans…most of the earliest civilizations were in the lower latitudes. The “fertile crescent” is now what is Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestinian Territories, parts of Turkey…etc – all low latitude warm climates. Globally, whether in monsoon East Asia/Southeast Asia, Central America, South America…etc humans grew and flourished in warm climates...not cold ones. Why…because eventually all human civilizations have depended on agriculture for subsistence…and nothing grows in the cold high latitudes.

As a comic once said…there are no resorts in the Arctic – lol.
as far as the US population trends go it is absolutely about immigration.
"Non-Hispanic Whites, the slowest growing group, are likely to contribute less and less to the total population growth in this country. Although non-Hispanic Whites make up almost 75 percent of the total population, they would contribute only 35 percent of the total population growth between 1990 and 2000. This percentage of growth would decrease to 23 percent between 2000 and 2010, and 14 percent from 2010 to 2030. The non-Hispanic White population would contribute nothing to population growth after 2030 because it would be declining in size."

"According to the middle series, the Hispanic-origin population would be the largest growing group. By 2000, the Hispanic-origin population may increase to 31 million, double its 1990 size by 2015, and quadruple its 1990 size by the middle of the next century. In fact, the Hispanic-origin population would contribute 32 percent of the Nation's population growth from 1990 to 2000, 39 percent from 2000 to 2010, 45 percent from 2010 to 2030, and 60 percent from 2030 to 2050."
Population Profile of the United States (http://www.census.gov/population/www/pop-profile/natproj.html - broken link)

so basically yes you are mostly right about the population growth in those states but the reason is wrong. you are on city data just look at the race percentages of the areas you mentioned and consider the facts I just gave you and you will have the info you need.

Perhaps I didn't make my point well enough, I was in a hurry... my point was that even in the fertile crescent people didn't start farming until about 10k years ago and even that was very small scale. just a small portion of the time man has been here. by hunter/gatherers I am lumping herders in there too because they still do hunt and gather food they don't really farm. much of the middle east and turkey get very cold in the winter there isn't a year round growing season. The people that were in the colder climates had to take advantage of the shorter growing seasons and produce on a larger scale to last through the cold period. The techniques they developed helped to get us to the point where we are today. humans did grow and believe it or not flourished in Europe. BTW the Norse grew wheat, barley, and various berries and vegetables in Iceland. pretty cold there even during the MWP.

here is a resort for you. ICEHOTEL #21 › World's largest hotel made of ice and snow

Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Also I found this pretty interesting it is the theoretical center of the US based on population
Attached Thumbnails
Living in "hell" of what's called Connecticut-center.gif  

Old 06-07-2010, 11:11 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,376,262 times
You need to get down to the shoreline. I would recommend the Mystic area. Buy a small boat 20 to 26 ft and join a Marina anywhere between Stonington and Old Saybrook. There are many Marinas up the CT river in Chester, Essex, etc. You could also try the American Wharf Marine in Norwich Ct easily accesible by taking Rt east from Hartford.. Boating along the CT shoreline is some of the most beautiul boating along the East coast. Sailing or Power boating, it's a great warm weather pasttime. Your summer friends will then become your winter freinds. . Your weekends between May and October will be thrilling out on the Sound and you will meet tons of people. Just because you're young doesn't mean you have to have all of your friends be of your age.

Best of luck..

Old 06-07-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
as far as the US population trends go it is absolutely about immigration.
"Non-Hispanic Whites, the slowest growing group, are likely to contribute less and less to the total population growth in this country. Although non-Hispanic Whites make up almost 75 percent of the total population, they would contribute only 35 percent of the total population growth between 1990 and 2000. This percentage of growth would decrease to 23 percent between 2000 and 2010, and 14 percent from 2010 to 2030. The non-Hispanic White population would contribute nothing to population growth after 2030 because it would be declining in size."

"According to the middle series, the Hispanic-origin population would be the largest growing group. By 2000, the Hispanic-origin population may increase to 31 million, double its 1990 size by 2015, and quadruple its 1990 size by the middle of the next century. In fact, the Hispanic-origin population would contribute 32 percent of the Nation's population growth from 1990 to 2000, 39 percent from 2000 to 2010, 45 percent from 2010 to 2030, and 60 percent from 2030 to 2050."
Population Profile of the United States (http://www.census.gov/population/www/pop-profile/natproj.html - broken link)

so basically yes you are mostly right about the population growth in those states but the reason is wrong. you are on city data just look at the race percentages of the areas you mentioned and consider the facts I just gave you and you will have the info you need.

Perhaps I didn't make my point well enough, I was in a hurry... my point was that even in the fertile crescent people didn't start farming until about 10k years ago and even that was very small scale. just a small portion of the time man has been here. by hunter/gatherers I am lumping herders in there too because they still do hunt and gather food they don't really farm. much of the middle east and turkey get very cold in the winter there isn't a year round growing season. The people that were in the colder climates had to take advantage of the shorter growing seasons and produce on a larger scale to last through the cold period. The techniques they developed helped to get us to the point where we are today. humans did grow and believe it or not flourished in Europe. BTW the Norse grew wheat, barley, and various berries and vegetables in Iceland. pretty cold there even during the MWP.

here is a resort for you. ICEHOTEL #21 › World's largest hotel made of ice and snow
The reason non-Hispanic whites contribute less and less to the population has to do with their low birth rates. When the first wave of immigrants came to the USA (German, Irish, Italian, Russian…etc) 100 - 150 years ago, their segments grew faster than the local population as well. This is nothing new. Immigrants go where there are jobs and opportunities…and that’s the Sunbelt and the mild coastal regions of the USA. They don’t go to North Dakota because there are no jobs there and it’s 70 below in winter. Also, look at all the retirees who move to the Sunbelt. Land is a 1/4 as cheap in Bismark or Fargo as Tuscon or Myrtle Beach. Why don’t they buy that condo in Fargo...because most humans prefer warm sunny weather.

I see the arctic resort…cute…but I hope you get the joke: 99.9% of Americans vacation in warm climates…not polar ones. As far as the Norse…where are they now?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The reason non-Hispanic whites contribute less and less to the population has to do with their low birth rates. When the first wave of immigrants came to the USA (German, Irish, Italian, Russian…etc) 100 - 150 years ago, their segments grew faster than the local population as well. This is nothing new. Immigrants go where there are jobs and opportunities…and that’s the Sunbelt and the mild coastal regions of the USA. They don’t go to North Dakota because there are no jobs there and it’s 70 below in winter. Also, look at all the retirees who move to the Sunbelt. Land is a 1/4 as cheap in Bismark or Fargo as Tuscon or Myrtle Beach. Why don’t they buy that condo in Fargo...because most humans prefer warm sunny weather.

I see the arctic resort…cute…but I hope you get the joke: 99.9% of Americans vacation in warm climates…not polar ones. As far as the Norse…where are they now?
good you see my point. while one population is shrinking due to birth rates the other is growing due to immigration. You do see the correlation between the two, right. Of course people are going to move where they are more comfortable. You don't have to tell me about that I just moved here from FL a couple of months ago. I know all about retirees . Also immigrants from "Latin America" move to Nevada and the warmer states because that is where they are comfortable oh and it's walking distance.... FL actually had a negative growth rate for the first time since 1946. and it doesn't have anything to with the weather being too cold this past winter.
Florida loses population for the first time since World War II - St. Petersburg Times

People do vacation in cold climates. Ski resorts are doing pretty well.
I got your joke. I thought the ice resort thing was pretty funny too. Oh and the Norse are still in Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, etc. and Minnesota

Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,666,139 times
They had a negative growth rate because the oldest baby boomers' parents all died. And they were ALL in Florida. Every. Last. One.

More people dying in Florida, because there are more old people in Florida. In the immortal words of Kelly Bundy: "It isn't rocket surgery, ya know."

Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,941,046 times
Quote:

Okay, lets just get this out of the way quickly.

1. This convo started I think regarding the USA.

2. In that context, the most populated areas were indeed "cold" climates.

3. The top reasons the "hot" climates are "growing" now are - in no particular order. Cheap, AC is available, the grass is greener from where your "parents" live. I don't know many people moving to NC from New England for the culture, food or landscape...some for weather, but they soon complain about the "heat and humidity".

On the flipside - People do not live comfortably in 90* weather or 20* weather. The world, as created before the fall was a nice 72-74*. It was a place called paradise/Eden. Science backs this up if you have the stomach for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/01/sc...01climate.html

One example from the "extreme right wing" paper called the NY Times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut