Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 04:42 PM
sun sun started this thread

683 posts, read 2,125,183 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to learn if widescreen TV's do a decent job of receiving analog air signals for those shows that are not broadcast or received using a digital signal or in the newer format.
Also, are there any air signal reception differences between the TV's that have the 730 or 1090 resolutions, or for LCD vs. slim HD TV's? Does TV size affect air signal reception quality much?
I'm trying to learn more about the signal reception problems & options for receiving air signals for stations using the new types of TV's, as I'm replacing an older set.
I currently use a small amplified TV antenna.
Any experience people have about non-digital air signal reception for different TV types is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:14 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,411 times
Newer TV's that have built in HD tuners actually pick of over the air signals better than traditional tubes. As long as the LCD TV you are buying has a built in HD tuner, a simple antenna will do just fine, it doesn't evan have to be amplified in most cases.

720 or 1080 sets won't make a difference on the over the air reception. Having a 1080 tv right now will only make a difference when watching HD or Blu-ray movies. Right now the best picture through HD on cable or Sat is 720p or 1080i, dont worry about 1080 for another 5 years.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:37 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
As a brpoadcaster, I can tell you that HD signals from TV station that have near the same paramters as the analog facilities will have a better signal

For instance, Channel 43 in Bridgeport.. it's analog signal barely gets to Middletown but when they go Digital, it will encompass all of Metro Hartford.

If you have any questions about broadcasting in Connecticut, feel free to PM me

Last edited by Jammie; 07-14-2007 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: addy removed by request

Old 02-07-2010, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,817 times
Default I can't seem to get any signals

I have a brand new television and nice little antenna but I can't seem to get any signals other than 3 ION channels (which come in great by the way) but I would love to be able to get the local stations. I live in Coventry, CT and think I should be able to get the Hartford stations. Any suggestions? Is there something I don't know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Newer TV's that have built in HD tuners actually pick of over the air signals better than traditional tubes. As long as the LCD TV you are buying has a built in HD tuner, a simple antenna will do just fine, it doesn't evan have to be amplified in most cases.

720 or 1080 sets won't make a difference on the over the air reception. Having a 1080 tv right now will only make a difference when watching HD or Blu-ray movies. Right now the best picture through HD on cable or Sat is 720p or 1080i, dont worry about 1080 for another 5 years.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,817 times
Default Watching TV in Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerUser000 View Post
As a brpoadcaster, I can tell you that HD signals from TV station that have near the same paramters as the analog facilities will have a better signal

For instance, Channel 43 in Bridgeport.. it's analog signal barely gets to Middletown but when they go Digital, it will encompass all of Metro Hartford.

If you have any questions about broadcasting in Connecticut, feel free to PM me

Is there a trick to getting the signals? I have a new television but can't seem to get any signals (other than 3 ION channels which come in great).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut