U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 AM

15 posts, read 186,412 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Currently we reside in Windsor but unfortunately the home we rent is going to be sold so we need to move (and unfortunately continue renting). Due to work and transportation reasons we need to stay within about 20 minutes of Hartford (worst case 30). We were wondering what communities within that radius others would recommend.

We are looking for a 3BR single family home in a neighbor and kid friendly community. We have an active eight year old and do not want to live on any major through-ways (ie: someplace where it's relatively safe to cross streets without fear of getting ran over). We're also avoiding apartments, condos, townhouses, and duplexes. I have this thing about overhearing neighbors through the walls/floors or them mine. We don't mind rules established by landlords, its the nature of the beast. But we have a problem with HOAs telling us what can and can't happen in our own front yard.

We also like to decorate our yard for Halloween and Christmas. We'd like to know that whatever we have out in the front yard is fairly safe from theft.

Our biggest problem though is given those restrictions its been tough because we have a hard cutoff max of 1600/mo.

The areas we've been looking in include: Windsor (obviously since we don't want to have to change school districts before the school year is done), East Windsor, South Windsor, Enfield, Windsor Locks, Manchester, and West Hartford. We've also been looking in Glastonbury and Avon for haha's - might get lucky but typically higher rent.

Are there any other CT areas in the radius I mentioned that we might be over looking and would fit that criteria?

Thanks,
-TM
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,264,474 times
You don't have to change school districts before the end of the year, no matter what. First of all, you can probably request that you be allowed to stay (paying your rent, of course) until the end of the school year. Since your landlord would have to evict you to get you out, which is expensive and takes a few months, they will probably agree. Even if you do have to move before the end of the year, I'm sure he can finish out the school year where he is - you'll just have to drive him. You will have a tough time finding a single home on a quiet street in West Hartford for 1600, but it's certainly worth a try. Check Craigslist. What about Newington? It's got good schools, a little cheaper than W. Hartford, nice town. You might also look at Wethersfield and Rocky Hill.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 PM

2,766 posts, read 8,843,682 times
You could try Suffield as well, though rentals aren't very readily available.

I would try, East Granby, Suffield, Enfield, Windsor, South Windsor, West Hartford, Farmington, Glastonbury, Wethersfield....

The list goes on, but I wouldn't narrow it down to one town, I would just look for rentals in ALL areas and end up living wherever you can find a 3 bd for your 1600 budget as it will likely be a smaller or older home with that budget. Good Luck

Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 PM

15 posts, read 186,412 times
@parentologist: technically we have till 6/1 to move and school ends around the middle of June. Our daughter is special education so there's a lot of transitional PPTs and stuff that we need to do. And it's yet one more reason for staying within the 20 minute perimeter of Hartford. My wife and I both work in the downtown area but in complete opposite shifts. We have one vehicle (she doesn't drive) so there's double drives into Hartford in the evening. This obviously cuts into (but not limit) our ability to transit back to Windsor in a timely manner for my daughter's school. And it would only be for the remaining portion of the year. I'd rather not take her out though until the year is finished because of the special ed needs. As for staying longer, it's complicated. Deadline is not technically lease related because we rent from the inlaws and there's no formal lease. However they're selling the house and will start renovations in June so they can get the house on the market. She won't kick us out, but they can get complicated - you know, the whole family & business dilemma.

@KH02: Unfortunately, not only for reasons stated above, but moving further from Hartford is NOT an option as I would have to change jobs. I used to drive from Windsor to Westport daily for a year - NEVER again. Besides, I get paid pretty well with great benefits in a subset of a field that's NOT in high demand in an inhospitable economic climate. So gotta stay close to the office.

-TM

Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 PM

24,587 posts, read 40,150,372 times
I agree that since you are already settled into the community you should first check Windsor. That would probably be the best choice. I also agree that you should check out Wethersfield and Newington as well. These are both great reasonably affordable towns near Hartford. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or