U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 05:13 PM

6 posts, read 18,268 times

Advertisements

Could anyone explain why Fairfield home prices are so much higher than Stratford home prices - particularly within the center of town (near train station)? There are only two (will be three) extra stops on MetroNorth between Fairfield and Stratford. I know there are a lot more shops and restaurants, etc. in Fairfield, but is that the only reason to justify the $ difference? What am I missing?

thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 PM

519 posts, read 397,942 times
Location, location, location... closer to NYC means less commute time which means more money.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,246,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingquestions View Post
Could anyone explain why Fairfield home prices are so much higher than Stratford home prices - particularly within the center of town (near train station)? There are only two (will be three) extra stops on MetroNorth between Fairfield and Stratford. I know there are a lot more shops and restaurants, etc. in Fairfield, but is that the only reason to justify the $ difference? What am I missing?

thanks!
Fairfield is closer to NY, their schools are rated more highly, their population is younger and less diverse, their housing stock is in better overall condition,.....etc.,........etc.

Best way i can sum it up: Fairfield wishes it was Westport, and tries hard to copy them(hold your fire Fairfield residents. this has always been the case). Stratford wishes not to become like Bridgeport, and tries valiantly to prevent it from happening.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:04 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,807,607 times
That's one of the unique features of this state. Town real estate values operate in a vacuum. Stratford has always had a manufacturing component to it, and, as a result, has attracted blue-collar workers. These perceptions often stick around even after the town starts to reinvent itself. Oxford is dealing with this now. Many still think of it as a rural, farm town.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 PM

24,577 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Best way i can sum it up: Fairfield wishes it was Westport, and tries hard to copy them(hold your fire Fairfield residents. this has always been the case). Stratford wishes not to become like Bridgeport, and tries valiantly to prevent it from happening.
Sorry to disagree with you but Fairfield was an upscale suburb of Bridgeport long before Westport was considered to be so desirable. Fairfield had fine homes and country estates for Bridgeport's wealthy families. Westport was an artist colony originally because it was so inexpensive yet charming. Fairfield's Southport Village was built on shipping and prosperous onion farming back in the 1800's. The Old Post Road area was built when Fairfield was the County Seat back in the early 1800's (it was burned by the British during the Revolution). Greenfield Hill was originally home to gentleman farmers like the Warners and Campbells who made sure the area was not destroyed by insisting on 2 acre minimum zoning. That said once Westport took off Fairfield followed so your statement is not entirely untrue.

To answer the OP's original question, it has to do with how each town developed. Stratford is a mostly blue collar community that was built on manufacturing. Fairfield's long history that dates back to early colonial times and maintained its original values during the industrial revolution when business bypassed the town for Bridgeport. The original families in town prided themselves on education so the town had a strong education system and cultural amenities long before it was popular. After World War 2, Fairfield attracted Bridgeport's middle class and wealthier people because of the schools and the general quality of the community. On top of that it is just that much closer to New York which makes it that much more desirable. Jay

Old 04-23-2010, 12:54 PM

490 posts, read 1,559,391 times
A few years back, when I was looking to buy on the New Haven train line, I noticed I was going to get more for my money in Stratford. However, I didn't want to do two more train stops, so I draw the line in Fairfield. At the same time, Fairfield was the only town I could "afford" and that had a reputation for excellent schools.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:30 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,246,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry to disagree with you but Fairfield was an upscale suburb of Bridgeport long before Westport was considered to be so desirable. Fairfield had fine homes and country estates for Bridgeport's wealthy families. Westport was an artist colony originally because it was so inexpensive yet charming. Fairfield's Southport Village was built on shipping and prosperous onion farming back in the 1800's. The Old Post Road area was built when Fairfield was the County Seat back in the early 1800's (it was burned by the British during the Revolution). Greenfield Hill was originally home to gentleman farmers like the Warners and Campbells who made sure the area was not destroyed by insisting on 2 acre minimum zoning. That said once Westport took off Fairfield followed so your statement is not entirely untrue.
LOL. Thanks for the correction. I tend to overlook the relevancy of what things were like 50/100/200 years ago. I'll have to make sure that i preface things with the notation that i'm referring to within my lifetime whenever i state that something has "always" been that way.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:28 PM

15,742 posts, read 21,996,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Fairfield wishes it was Westport, and tries hard to copy them.
Having lived in Fairfield for the first part of my life (and still have lots of friends there), I can agree 100% with this. Fairfielders often have an inferiority complex and try very hard to associate with Westport, Darien, New Canaan and Greenwich.

I find this to be true right up to Waterbury and New Haven. Southburians try to latch onto the Danbury area and ignore the Waterbury area. Oxfordites are obsessed with Monroe and Trumbull, and ignore the Valley. Try to tell someone from Shelton they're part of the Valley. You'd better duck or run.

This is one of the reasons why CT folks bug me a little.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 5,096 times
so true and people in towns like oxford and newtown also can't admit they are far from everything while they suck up a 2 hour commute to stamford in order to have a giant house.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,883,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Having lived in Fairfield for the first part of my life (and still have lots of friends there), I can agree 100% with this. Fairfielders often have an inferiority complex and try very hard to associate with Westport, Darien, New Canaan and Greenwich.

I find this to be true right up to Waterbury and New Haven. Southburians try to latch onto the Danbury area and ignore the Waterbury area. Oxfordites are obsessed with Monroe and Trumbull, and ignore the Valley. Try to tell someone from Shelton they're part of the Valley. You'd better duck or run.

This is one of the reasons why CT folks bug me a little.
Try to tell some people in Huntington, that they live in Shelton. Have people in Rowayton accepted they are in Norwalk yet either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or