U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,702 times

Advertisements

There is a strong possiblity my husband I will be relocating to New Haven due to my job situation. My husband teaches high school English (currently certified in Texas), is fluent in Spanish (though not certified to teach English Language Learners), and prefers teaching lower income/marginalized kids. As I hear of many teacher lay-offs in the North East, what is the reality of him being able to find a job?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 AM

220 posts, read 442,038 times
Probably difficult. There have been a lot of layoffs in neighboring districts. In addition, Connecticut does not have reciprocity in certification with other states, so he may need additional coursework or to complete some paperwork before becoming certified in Connecticut. You will want to check the State Dept. of Education's website for more information on this: SDE: Certification Information

There are usually at least one or two positions for ESL listed on local school HR pages, but your husband would almost certainly have to do another certification program for that as he is not currently certified. As for Spanish, it may help with some students, but my husband's third grade classroom has a mix of kids and cultures - local kids from New Haven and refugees from Iraq, in addition to others. You could also check into local charter schools - there are plenty in the district.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,822,935 times
Grim, I'm afraid. However the Spanish may be an advantage. 2,000 Teachers to be laid off state wide. (2,000 Connecticut Teachers Face Layoffs Before Next School Year - Courant.com)

Old 04-23-2010, 09:49 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,416,322 times
Not too good right now. Right now it's an employers market. Stay in Texas. The newspaper yesterday said it's going to get much worse next year!

Last edited by Rich Cabeza; 04-23-2010 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 AM

24,615 posts, read 40,196,269 times
If your husband is willing to work in an inner-city school it wil be easier. He also might want to consider working in a private or parochal school as well. While the jobs wil be limited there will be some. I think all the doom and gloom being painted is a bit much but it is not going to be easy. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Grim, I'm afraid. However the Spanish may be an advantage. 2,000 Teachers to be laid off state wide. (2,000 Connecticut Teachers Face Layoffs Before Next School Year - Courant.com)
Interesting article.
The Connecticut Association of Urban Superintendents...

"The reality is that many parents count on school as a place for their kids to be," said New London Superintendent Nicholas A. Fischer, a member of the association. "This is not school systems trying to wreak havoc. We, as a state, are trying to come to grips with what people want. You can't keep saying 'no new taxes' and expect the quality of services to improve."
Really? I think that is a big fat joke, and the brunt of layoffs is affecting the teachers who are not tenured (Nevermind that whole concept) and are not making that much. 50K?

This guy says "well you can't keep saying no new taxes". Hey Nick...yes you CAN. How about you take a lower salary and pull your fat jowels out of the feeding trough.
Fischer will be paid $145,500, in addition to a $5,000 tax-sheltered annuity and a $500 monthly car allowance.
Fischer starts New London job - Fall River, MA - The Herald News

$151,000 per year for a CIVIL SERVICE administration position funded by taxpayers? THAT is not reality. If ol Nick is concerned about teacher layoffs, I'd love to see some of these supers and admins and principles put their money where their mouth is and take some pay cuts. How about he donate 50K a year towards saving one teacher? How about we eliminate some of the administrative bloat and keep a few more teachers on board?

How this guy can look himself in the mirror in the morning knowing he's knocking down 151K NOT including the benefits all the while saying "poor teacher bob is getting laid off, we need higher taxes" is beyond me.

No instead they renegotiate janitorial contracts which are a penny to the dollars to make it seem like they are making efforts to cut costs.

It's not just here, it's all over the state. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,261,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
While the jobs wil be limited there will be some. I think all the doom and gloom being painted is a bit much but it is not going to be easy. Good luck, Jay
I don't share your optimism on this. Our major cities receive the bulk of their education funding from the state through ECS appropriations. In light of the deficits that the state is running, and the overall (lack of)results we've seen from the heavy state infusion of $$$$$ to the cities, i honestly feel that ECS funding to the cities will begin to markedly decrease soon.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I don't share your optimism on this. Our major cities receive the bulk of their education funding from the state through ECS appropriations. In light of the deficits that the state is running, and the overall (lack of)results we've seen from the heavy state infusion of $$$$$ to the cities, i honestly feel that ECS funding to the cities will begin to markedly decrease soon.
I agree and it just shows the government can't do everything. There is a local private K-12 school here in Manchester (Christian) that charges a modest fee. (Top is I think 3K per year vs over 10K per public student, but they also work on a sliding scale for others.) Their results blow the public schools away on every level you can measure and IMO those you can not.

Fifty bucks says the feds do an "education bailout" once the state funding goes away.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 AM

66 posts, read 71,812 times
screwing the next generation at every turn

Old 04-23-2010, 03:38 PM

24,615 posts, read 40,196,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I agree and it just shows the government can't do everything. There is a local private K-12 school here in Manchester (Christian) that charges a modest fee. (Top is I think 3K per year vs over 10K per public student, but they also work on a sliding scale for others.) Their results blow the public schools away on every level you can measure and IMO those you can not.

Fifty bucks says the feds do an "education bailout" once the state funding goes away.
You can't compare the results of a private school to public schools. Private schools get to pick and choose their students. People willing to pay the extra cost are those that will make sure their kids will learn. If you gave them all of the students including special needs and problem kids, they too would flounder and their costs would escalate. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut