U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:56 PM

8 posts, read 12,549 times

Advertisements

Jennymarie,

I did know about all of these things, but it was at the advice of my Realtor that I avoid asking for replacement/removal/improvements in the contract due to the competitive market ( i had 2 competing bids). At this point the major thing is the roof. It does not appear to be 25/yrs old but the addendum does say it is. Also in terms of the led paint, I do not have any children and the windows have all been replaced within the last 5 years so I am not worried about the lead dust forming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 02:26 PM

164 posts, read 282,615 times
It may be that they *have* to do something about the asbestos in order for the sale to go through (either from a legal perspective or because your bank may not approve the loan otherwise), but as previously mentioned, that something may be simply encapsulating it, which should be fine.

If you're concerned about the roof because of its age but your inspector has not found obvious signs of leaking, I don't see how you're in any position to ask for a new roof or money at this point. And if there's no sign of leaking, I as a seller wouldn't be willing to do anything. A "25-year rated" roof could last longer than that, or it can last less than that. It's not an exact science. If there are signs of water leakage which were found during the inspection and their disclosure indicates that they've had no water leakage, then you're in a position to ask for something.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Thank You to everyone! you have been very helpful, my inspection is tomorrow 4/26 so I will have to keep my fingers crossed that there is nothing really wrong!

Thanks again!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,817,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
If you're concerned about the roof because of its age but your inspector has not found obvious signs of leaking, I don't see how you're in any position to ask for a new roof or money at this point.
You're exactly right. The seller will most likely respond with "the listed price and accepted offer were for the property in its current condition."

Old 04-25-2010, 10:25 PM

so basically my real estate agent, who said I should ask after the contact is signed, got me in a bad spot?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquswm View Post
so basically my real estate agent, who said I should ask after the contact is signed, got me in a bad spot?
Sounds like it to me. I missed that the roof, though old is still in good working order so I take back what I said and agree with the two posts above.

If it's not bad, it's not bad. Old is old but not broken. If it was in disrepair, that's another story.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 AM

2,081 posts, read 4,129,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquswm View Post
How so? I must be missing something here?

You have to sign a contract to have a home inspection...and the home inspection should tell you whether or not the roof is in good condition and its' life expectancy.

If the roof needs immediate repair, then you negotiate with the seller.

Your home inspection will tell you the condition of the house.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:13 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
How so? I must be missing something here?

You have to sign a contract to have a home inspection...and the home inspection should tell you whether or not the roof is in good condition and its' life expectancy.

If the roof needs immediate repair, then you negotiate with the seller.

Your home inspection will tell you the condition of the house.
Ciff notes:

Roof is fine, just old.

He's asking for a new roof.

He's in a competitive bidding situation with 2 others.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 AM

262 posts, read 519,697 times
aquswm,
I am going to guess that your are looking at homes in the entry level price range. From my casual observations that sector seems to be doing very well in CT. If so then you probably won't get many seller concessions unless it is something major and it's is broken. For example let's take the roof. If it is old but still works you won't get anything. If, however, your inspector finds evidence of a leak then you can and should ask for repair money. Since it is probably entry level and it sounds like there is a good amount of competition, don't bother with small stuff like a leaky kitchen pipe.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 PM

OK, So I had my inspection and a few things came up. 1) the boiler was unable to provide hot water to the showers after approx 1/min of use. 2) The roof needs to be replaced but is not currently leaking so the inspector said just keep and eye on it. 3) the two full baths need their toilets to be removed and replaced.

Overall nothing I wasn't expecting except for the boiler not being able to provide the hot water. In anyone's professions opinion is it now within my right to request a new one? I was thinking since the inspection did say there are a bunch of minor problems (roof, some minor electrical, support for pipes in the basement, leaking toilets, sagging plaster) it would not be out of the question to have the seller replace the boiler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or