U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM

8 posts, read 12,531 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I just came under contract for my first house. It was built in 1938 and had the same owners since it was built. This is where I come to a problem. There is a boiler in the basement, It was a duel fuel (Coal and Oil, as there are compartments to feed coal into it). I know this cannot be a very efficient way to heat my new house and wondering if it would be worth it to convert to Natural Gas which runs up the street. It also has a limited amount of asbestos that covers a pipe exiting the boiler. Under no circumstances do I want to keep this there, would it be unreasonable to have the seller remove it? And finally the roof is approximately 25 years old. Should i request money for that too? I am just attempting to gage what I should be looking for/asking when I go to the inspection on Monday 4/26. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 12:31 PM

90 posts, read 254,464 times
Aquswm,

I think coal/oil is a great source of heat because the coal burns for a long time and cleaner than a wood stove. I know people who live in colder climates than CT who use coal/oil. I am not an expert this is just my uneducated opinion LOL. There are better sources of information in the board here.

The roof: are there problems with it? Missing shingles? 25 years is about max for the roof, maybe the seller can meet you halfway (they prob cost around 10k).

I would mostly be concerned about asbestos.

Sorry I can't give you expert opinions, I'm just going by what my experience has been as a homeowner and former landlord!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:28 PM

2,256 posts, read 3,390,823 times
Good luck having them get rid of the abestos. It's very expensive and the chances of it becoming airborn are greater when having it removed than just leaving it and having it encapsulated. You should be more concerned about lead probally, especially with the tougher regs. concerning renos. Is this a "for sale by owner"? You may really want to think about having a real estate agent to represent you and help you with these questions.

Last edited by LRPct; 04-23-2010 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Lead is a big one too, good point you brought up. But with asbestos aren't there certain regulations that come with removal? I don't know too much about this, I would be pretty interested to find out too since were looking at moving to the Stamford area and all we can afford are very old houses like the OPs.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 PM

Also OP, if the house is not updated and you plan on renovating then make sure the current location of the asbestos is the only place it exists. I hope some realtors can comment here, great topic because the recession and tax credit has fired up sales of older cheaper houses!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:30 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Keep the oil, just get a new high efficiency unit. It's NOT cheap to get gas run from the street to your house.

Leave the asbestos. Unless it's disturbed it's not going to hurt anything...besides the "danger" is WAY overblown. You have to be exposed to loose fibers for years for damage. (Meaning installing and removing the stuff.) You'll cause more headaches removing it then leaving it.

The roof is definetly a bargaining tool. If they won't concede 100% get them to at least split the cost.

Good luck.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Jviello, re: gas, what is so expensive about hooking it up to youre residence??

Old 04-23-2010, 03:52 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogspott View Post
Jviello, re: gas, what is so expensive about hooking it up to youre residence??
Digging up the road and having to break into the main, digging a trench 5 feet deep to your house, running the line through your foundation and then patching properly, then all the plumbing etc that takes place.

I've seen anywhere from $7K to $15K depending on where it is. A high efficiency oil unit will be just as cheap to operate as gas so you'll get no return on investment really so it becomes a hard cost upfront.

Believe me, I'm ALL FOR using natural gas since we are the Saudi of NG...but dollarwise, that's about how it shakes out.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:58 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,339,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Believe me, I'm ALL FOR using natural gas since we are the Saudi of NG...but dollarwise, that's about how it shakes out.
Tangential question: when I first moved to New England, I was surprised that so few houses are heated with natural gas.

Fuel oil is used elsewhere in the US, but not to the degree it is used here. Natural gas is (most years, depending on relative prices) a much more economical source of heat.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Jviello, holy moly! I thought it would be much simpler then that. Shows how much I know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or