U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:54 AM

16,228 posts, read 25,443,476 times

Advertisements

I don't understand what all the nastiness is about here. Soulsurv asked a question because she AND her dog are planning a vacation in CT. Really, the question only required a "yes" or "no" answer but she got an earful of nastiness instead.

C'mon folks. Whether or not YOU agree with allowing dogs on beaches wasn't the question. The question was IF there are beaches here that DO allow dogs. Simple as that.

PS. Yes, I'm a dog owner. No, I wouldn't bring my dog to the beach, but only because he's not a "people person".

Old 05-16-2010, 11:12 AM

2,081 posts, read 4,123,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I can't TELL you the number of times my beach days were ruined (again and again) by whinning, shieking, sand-kicking kids and their clueless, child-centric parents.
Hey, well that would be me....a child-centric parent as my kids are the center of my world. We have spent many days and vacations on the beach and my kids do shriek with joy splashing and swimming in the water and waves. The beach is outdoor activity for all to enjoy...the beach (as well as a playground) is the place for kids to play, run around and shriek with joy if they want to. If you need peace and quiet, go to the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I don't understand what all the nastiness is about here.
I think the OP set the tone for this thread!

Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,818,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Hey, well that would be me....a child-centric parent as my kids are the center of my world. We have spent many days and vacations on the beach and my kids do shriek with joy splashing and swimming in the water and waves. The beach is outdoor activity for all to enjoy...the beach (as well as a playground) is the place for kids to play, run around and shriek with joy if they want to. If you need peace and quiet, go to the library.

I never understood parents who thought their kids desire to misbehave to the point at which they disturb others outweighs my desire for peace and quiet. My parents would have killed me...

Do you have the same attitude towards restaurants?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 AM

15,742 posts, read 22,008,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Apparently that poster has nastiness and a poor attitude in the majority of threads they post in. I seem to think they have a few other handles on this forum as well, so I wouldn't take their comments too seriously.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I think that the initial post was simply a question. After that, she was simply defending herself and her dog when talk got onto droppings that didn't get picked up. Maybe it was a bit snarky, but when you are given snarky, it's sometimes difficult not to get snarky in return. Just my opinion from reading it from the ground up...

Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,123,654 times
Quote:
I never understood parents who thought their kids desire to misbehave to the point at which they disturb others outweighs my desire for peace and quiet. My parents would have killed me...

Whoa? What are you talking about...misbehaving??? Are you saying kids playing and swimming in the water are misbehaving?

Are you saying kids should act the same at the beach as they do in a restaurant?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
and my kids do shriek with joy splashing and swimming in the water and waves. The beach is outdoor activity for all to enjoy...the beach (as well as a playground) is the place for kids to play, run around and shriek with joy if they want to. If you need peace and quiet, go to the library.
Your kids can swim all they want... It's the shrieking and running around that I think others can find disturbing. There are certainly areas of the beach where they can do this without disturbing anyone. Next to me, my beach chair, and my book is not one of them. Your kids are the center of your world... Not mine.

My point is that lots of parents allow to their kids to behave in ways that are disturbing to others... In public, my parents would always be mindful of how our (mine and my brothers) behaviors effected others.

Today, I think the attitude is frequently "TOO BAD!"

Kind of like my dog should be able to crap on your beach... TOO BAD!

Old 05-16-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Kind of like my dog should be able to crap on your beach... TOO BAD!
Again... that was not the OP's question.

The OP asked if there were any dog-friendly beaches in CT. She did not ask if there were any beaches in CT where dogs could crap without her having to clean it up.

I don't know what kind of neighborhoods you all live in where you see misbehaving dogs with owners that leave their dogs' crap all over, without having to pick it up.

I live in a four-street cul-de-sac where there are 34 dogs. Yup, I counted. This tiny little neighborhood has 34 dogs. I never see stray poop.

I know, I know... not all dog owners are so diligent. But how about benefit of the doubt? Just like not every kid is a screamer, not every dog owner is an "I don't care where my dog craps" person.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I don't know what kind of neighborhoods you all live in
Grew up in Westport, and still consider it my home town. They allow dogs on the beach from 10/1 - 3/31. The beach is residents only (no dogs) from 3/31 - 9/31. I have stepped in "it" more than once taking a walk on the beach in the winter and early spring. So obviously, neighborhood has little to do with it...

Old 05-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Grew up in Westport, and still consider it my home town. They allow dogs on the beach from 10/1 - 3/31. The beach is residents only (no dogs) from 3/31 - 9/31. I have stepped in "it" more than once taking a walk on the beach in the winter and early spring. So obviously, neighborhood has little to do with it...
I wasn't implying that money had anything to do with whether or not a person picks up after their dog -- it's common courtesy, of course, and I believe that *most* people (be they rich or poor) have it.

My point is and was strictly this: That the OP was asking if there are any dog-friendly beaches in CT. That's it, that's all. She wasn't asking if she *had* to pick up the dog's poop -- that part is implied and common knowledge (for most people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut