U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 01:31 AM

67 posts, read 154,182 times

Advertisements

Someone of the MA forum just pointed me towards Somers schools. I'd already discovered Suffield. The Somers PSD website is NOT good...I haven't been able to find any course listings to help me compare breadth and depth. Somers' schools are definitely different with K-12 in one place along with the library and rec center. It looks modern and wired. But, it sounds like a good sized minority of parents aren't happy with excessive homework and focus on CAPT scores. Also, houses in that area cost more than Suffield. Is the airport proximity really that problematic?

So, I'm looking for opinions and comparisons. Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:43 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,840,570 times
Grew up in Suffield. GREAT town. Still a small town feel where everyone knows everyone. The school system is good with a brand new High School a few years back now. The airport never bothered anyone I know. You don't really hear the planes after awhile, and it was neat as a kid to see them going overhead. Only some areas of Suffield hear them real loud anyhow. Not to mention I never remember hearing them and waking at night, so no biggie there. Suffield is still somewhat of a ruralish farm town, but has many newer subdivisions in the last 10 years or so. Cloeset mall is Enfield right across the bridge, but if you can't find what you need there then Holyoke mall in Mass is the next closest really..

Somers schools also score well, though I'm not familiar with the weird looking building you are talking about. Somers is a bit more "out there" with no real highway access which is one of the downsides if you want a quicker commute. It would likely take you about 15 to 20 min to reach the highway. But it is a beautiful town, similar to Suffield in some ways.

If you have any other specific questions let me know, as I'm obviously very familiar with the area.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:27 PM

24,577 posts, read 40,140,661 times
You can compare the two school systems at the web sites below. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 04-25-2010, 03:49 PM

269 posts, read 773,035 times
Both schools systems are similar and very good. You won’t find any real complaints about either in my opinion just minor nit-picky things.

Somers has lower taxes due to the prisons, is very safe, and is a great town.

Suffield is closer to the highway and airport, is also safe and a great town. The airport noise can be a problem especially if you are on a call outside. However, it’s not something that would prevent me from living in Suffield (obviously since I live there).

Both places have the same general resources and you will likely go to Holyoke, Enfield, or Manchester for shopping. You will be happy with either choice in towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut