U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:11 PM

418 posts, read 1,234,917 times

Advertisements

The neighborhood you are moving to is convenient and family-oriented, but unfortunately a bit far from the retail/restaurant area of West Hartford Center, which the town is known for. Bishops Corner is a retail area that is closer and has a Whole Foods and a Waldbaum's supermarket. Bishops Corner also has doctors (at Hartford Medical Group), dentists (at West Hartford Family Dentistry) and a good, independent auto mechanic (at Lyons Gulf). You are also close to new retail in Bloomfield (Home Depot, and others) that I am less familiar with.
Winding Trails is a camp in Farmington that runs summer programs and picks up kids via bus in West Hartford. When I used to work in the Bishops Corner area, I would see summer buses taking kids to another camp too, but I don't remember what it was. As for parks, you will be close to the extensive trails at West Hartford Reservoir (to the west) and Talcott Mountain, which has a lovely hike up to Heublein Tower, where you'll see views of Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 6,373 times
Shoey924,
We are also looking to rent in WH, how did you find the place, through agent or website? Thanks.
WM

Old 04-25-2010, 04:10 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoey924 View Post
Thanks! Yes, we just signed the lease (hooray) for a house on tumblebrook lane. I don't know if that is the center or not, but it's between N Main st and 185.
Just want to second that the neighborhood is nice, but a couple miles outside of the "Center". It's a 5 minute trip down N Main through at most.

Also second the yearly budget deal on oil. You'll pay like $100.00 per month or whatever it averages out for instead of paying for bulk delivery all at once.

Good luck and welcome to Metro Hartford!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:31 PM

3,362 posts, read 3,286,325 times
Congratulations. Nice area of town. I don't think there is preK at Aiken. You could check with the JCC and see if they have a spot for nursery school. There are many preschools in town, but since it's near the end of the school year, unless you need child care, might not be worth it. Aiken goes up through 5th grade, KP starts in 6th. There is after care at Aiken, but there might not be room in the program. KP has no aftercare, but has lots of clubs and activities going on. I think there is also aftercare at the JCC.

For the best deal on daycamp, check out the town's Leisure Services website, or pick up a brochure at the library. There are many good summer programs in town held at the pools and parks, and they're half the price of private daycamp. If you can afford it, there are good daycamps that provide door to door service.

You can send me a private message for further info.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 AM

57 posts, read 86,082 times
Thanks for all the input! We have gotten fairly familiar with the basics, such as the Waldbaums (thanks DandJ) :-) and the Lowes! They know our names by now, Im sure!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:28 AM

16,239 posts, read 25,501,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoey924 View Post
Thanks for all the input! We have gotten fairly familiar with the basics, such as the Waldbaums (thanks DandJ) :-) and the Lowes! They know our names by now, Im sure!
Glad to hear that you're settling in well!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Default great pediatric dentist is Jeff Wrubel in Bishops Corner

Your kids will LOVE going to the dentist. Mine adore him, and the practice. Everyone I've sent there has had a wonderful experience.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:51 AM

11 posts, read 21,270 times
Hey shoey. just curious, how did you locate your home. I am still looking to rent in West Hartford and have been pretty unsuccessful in finding what I want. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:56 PM

try looking on craigslist and on realtor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or