Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 06:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,819 times

Advertisements

My wife and I, plus 8mos old, are debating looking in the Danbury area due to house prices. But so far we have been told to "stay away". That the School System is horrendous and it is generally an unsafe area. We are looking on the North-Western part of Danbury since I already do the 684 commute.
So my questions are:
Are there any good public schools in Danbury?
Are there parts of Danbury that are nice/safe?
What are the unsafe areas?

Any feedback, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SJ
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 06:25 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,429,511 times
SJ,

The north west of Danbury does have many fine homes. It is all almost 1-2 acre zoning in that area. Danbury does consistently ,as a whole, rank among the safest cities in the country of its size. In the area, you have the Richter Golf Course with acres of open space & a couple of town reserviors. Day to day shopping would be done mostly along Mill Plain Rd or North Street, which major consumer goods (electronics, cars, furniture schools) are found about 10 minutes away on Federal Rd. The area does feed to the 'King Street & Mill Ridge' elemantry schools. Most of the area zoned for Mill Ridge does sent students to Rogers Park Middle School and most of the King Street students go on to the Broadview Middle School. All of the schools in Danbury do have pretty much the same cirriclimum, but the demographics are different. You can read more about the schools on the districts website and on greatschools.com.

You might also want to consider the west side of New Fairfield. It is the next town up from Danbury and would have just as easy access onto I-684. Best of luck,

Jon

Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmp View Post
My wife and I, plus 8mos old, are debating looking in the Danbury area due to house prices. But so far we have been told to "stay away". That the School System is horrendous and it is generally an unsafe area.
Well, I love Danbury and I am VERY picky about places in CT to live. I can't imagine why anyone would tell you it is unsafe? It is very safe.

I know a few different families that have their kids in the public school and their children are all doing very well. I have good friends (both lawyers) with their 2 older children at Danbury High and they think it is a great school with a lot to offer. Their senior is going to Cornell next year.

Danbury is fabulous because it has so much....WCSU, Candlewood Lake, Danbury Fair Mall, tons of amenities for kids. There are so many different neighborhoods to choose from.

I think if you go drive around and spend the day there you won't have any doubts!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 AM

Default King St

Thanks for you comments.

Some of the homes were are looking at are King St. Schools.

We did look in New Fairfield, and the school district ranks well. But we felt it was too rural for our taste. I do like how West Danbury is right over the boarder and No 84 traffic to deal with is a major plus.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 AM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Danbury is a small city so it has a wide range of housing and economic conditions. The schools get a bad rap for the few problem areas there are. The high school is very big (one of the largest in the state). Overall the schools perform under the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. You can find more information on schools ther at the links below. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 04-26-2010, 01:44 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,065 times
Danbury for its size has the lowest crime rate in the US.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:10 AM

What about Kings elementary and kings middle school compared to Pembrook and Rogers. I hear that Broadview is much better place to send your middle schooler than Rogers.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,429,511 times
SJMP,

You are confusing some of the school information for Danbury. King Street & Pembroke are both elementary schools in Danbury. The King Street elementary area is the closest of the 2 to NY (in addition to Mill Ridge which is very close to exit 4) & is about 10 minutes west of the Pembroke elementary school.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the Pembroke students go on to the Broadview Middle School. Most of the King Street goes up to Broadview, although some of the district goes over to Rogers Park. I can not talk about more about schools. If you are concerned, you should give the superintendent of the school system & arrange a tour the schools.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks everyone we did purchase a home in Danbury. We are very excited to join the community

Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,081 times
Congrats! I live in Brewster but we love Danbury and spend a lot of time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut