U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,811,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpi-vic View Post
We moved to CT and everyone told us "You don't need air conditioning, it's only hot a few days in the summer". Yeah, right. The first summer proved that wrong!
You should have asked me! I run mine at least four months per year - more than I use heat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:25 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,677,768 times
The humidity is the #1 reason why I hate living in Connecticut. Whether you need AC or not depends on the type of house and its size. If you have a big colonial with high ceilings, lots of windows, lots of shade trees in the yard, you could probably do just fine with ceiling fans and a single (or two) window unit. Our house is a ranch, and even the hardwood floors sweat on the worst days. Our windows are off-size tilt-outs so window units aren't an option. However, we have a portable room AC (big thing on wheels with a vinyl accordion tube sticking out of it) that I use in the office where the computer is for a few days out of the year. Instead of turning it to AC, I turn it to dehumidify. The sucker sucks up moisture like an alcoholic and spits it out the window. So even though it might be 90 degrees in the house, my room is 90 and only 5% humidity. It'd amazing. I'm a desert girl so this is perfection.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,339,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The humidity is the #1 reason why I hate living in Connecticut.
Yes. If you look at temperature statistics alone, all of CT appears very moderate. But the dew point or the THI tells a more complete story. That's one of the reasons I mentioned it can be effective to have a slightly undersized window unit; it will lower the humidity more.

Our raised ranch is set into a hillside, and the lower level needs a dehumidifier running all summer, but only on really hot days is the air conditioner necessary.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:53 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Quote:
The humidity is the #1 reason why I hate living in Connecticut.
Wow...hate is a pretty strong word.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:14 PM

834 posts, read 1,943,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
You should have asked me! I run mine at least four months per year - more than I use heat!

Rich, if I remember correctly, you are as bad as my husband and me with the heat. Like right now, the a/c is on.
Humidity is so relative. To me, it feels dry here compared to the south, except for a few really humid days. My aunt from Arizona was here last year and said she felt like she couldn't breathe from the humidity.

but as far as window units, doesn't everyone find it a pain taking them out every year and then putting them back in? Should we just leave them in the windows even in the winter? My husband hated dragging them up from the basement and putting them in. So if we didn't have central air, we'd need something we leave in the windows all year long.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Wow...hate is a pretty strong word.
I've lived in Connecticut for 42 out of my 49 years. The other 7 were spent in Boston, and my parents are both from Connecticut, and THEIR parents are from Connecticut.

I'd say I'm qualified to hate on my state.

If I could convince my husband, we'd retire to New Mexico. Unfortunately he thinks spending the bulk of your life cooped up in air conditioning because it's too humid to breathe, is a good idea. Florida is his first choice. We're compromising on South Carolina, inland somewhere away from the ocean but near some kind of freshwater entity. I have seven more years to convince him that moving from humidity to humidity is a stupid idea.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:54 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Quote:
I've lived in Connecticut for 42 out of my 49 years. The other 7 were spent in Boston, and my parents are both from Connecticut, and THEIR parents are from Connecticut.

I'd say I'm qualified to hate on my state.
I didn't know "hate" had qualifications. LOL

You can hate whatever you like. Knock yourself out.

To *me* just seems like if you HATE (Synonyms: repulsion, execration, horror) something, you'd think by now you might do something about it instead of complaining that "oh my gawd - Merv, turn on tha air conditionin for gawds sake...it's that freakin huemiddatea."

I guess I was just confused about why you were here...at first I thought maybe a transplant. But knowing you've spent 40+ years here...

Hey whateva...enjoy what you want, hate what you want.

Best,

Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 PM

Born and raised - didn't have a choice the first 18 years. College and a few years staying in Bostin later, I moved to Florida. Clearly the wrong choice for someone who can't stand humidity. I had to go somewhere, so I came home to live with the parents while I earned coin to go somewhere else. While I was doing that, I met the man I ended up marrying. He pays the bills. Therefore, I stay in Connecticut. I can't stand winters or summers here, but I love my husband more than I love the idea of moving without him.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:22 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,811,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Rich, if I remember correctly, you are as bad as my husband and me with the heat. Like right now, the a/c is on.
Humidity is so relative. To me, it feels dry here compared to the south, except for a few really humid days. My aunt from Arizona was here last year and said she felt like she couldn't breathe from the humidity.
I received my electric bill today: $396.22. It's starting early!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 AM

65,070 posts, read 47,417,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I received my electric bill today: $396.22. It's starting early!
People gotta start realizing frugal is the new in and shutting lights off on wife is the new trend. It keeps money in your pocket!

My electric bill averages $110/mth all year round unless the basement electric heat is on then it jumps to $210/mth. 2400 sq ft home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut