U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 01:46 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,412,254 times

Advertisements

Looks like Bridgeport is an up and coming town. Did you check those places to live out?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,274,256 times
Well, the Ct. Post is located in the city of Bridgeport, so it doesn't surprise me that they see the glass as half full rather than half empty. Downtown Bridgeport has had some new businesses move in, but I still don't care to go there after dark, after having recently been there and witnessed firsthand it's "up and coming" progress. Even the article pointed out that the progress has been slow:

Despite his success providing affordable, attractive housing units downtown, Anderson has found it difficult to fill retail spaces in the three buildings. "The retail market has been very tough," he said, "but everyone else has been going toward lots of vacancies and we've been slowly getting people in."
So far, the Main Street Pharmacy, a Citibank branch, clothing store GumDrop Swap and eateries Amici Miei and Fraiche Burger are the only retail tenants in Anderson's three buildings. A photography studio, an ice cream shop and a cupcake store are scheduled to open soon.

Downtown Bridgeport under construction - Connecticut Post

Those new stores have no appeal to me at all. But good for them, any progress at all there is better than none.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,121,569 times
Bridgeport has always tried to be up and coming and NEVER succeeded...wishful thinking. How about cleaning up the crime to start with...

This is an excerpt from that article as well:

"The rocky economic climate has slowed that progress significantly over the last two years. Funding sources are scarce, leaving developers to scramble to get projects -- some announced with fanfare years ago -- off the boards and into the ground. Compounding the problem is the reluctance by commercial and retail enterprises to invest in a new venture."

I wonder if someone is a Bridgeport developer on here trying to sugar coat Bridgeport?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 AM

24,587 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Well, the Ct. Post is located in the city of Bridgeport, so it doesn't surprise me that they see the glass as half full rather than half empty. Downtown Bridgeport has had some new businesses move in, but I still don't care to go there after dark, after having recently been there and witnessed firsthand it's "up and coming" progress. Even the article pointed out that the progress has been slow:

Despite his success providing affordable, attractive housing units downtown, Anderson has found it difficult to fill retail spaces in the three buildings. "The retail market has been very tough," he said, "but everyone else has been going toward lots of vacancies and we've been slowly getting people in."
So far, the Main Street Pharmacy, a Citibank branch, clothing store GumDrop Swap and eateries Amici Miei and Fraiche Burger are the only retail tenants in Anderson's three buildings. A photography studio, an ice cream shop and a cupcake store are scheduled to open soon.

Downtown Bridgeport under construction - Connecticut Post

Those new stores have no appeal to me at all. But good for them, any progress at all there is better than none.
Actually, in the economic climate we have had for the last two years this is very good. Money for any kind of retail venture is hard to come by and those that had previous funding were either cut or canceled. don't get me wrong, Bridgeport has a long way to go, but it is heading in the right direction. Jay

Old 04-27-2010, 04:07 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,286,464 times
It's a shame both the Kuchma and the Jayson Building got delayed (I'm not even too sure if that project is still on). The redone mall looks absolutely fantastic though, I really hope that they fill those spots with unique retail and more investors start to take the idea of Bridgeport seriously.

I know that this is an aside, Personally I would love to see a rezoning of the Peninsula between the Pequonnock and Yellow Rivers (below Barnum Ave.) that would expand the city centre eastward in the future. Any thoughts?

~Cheers

Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 AM

24,587 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Expanding the city center between the Pequonock River and Yellow Mill Channel is the goal of the Steel Point project. It seemed to be moving forward when the economy tanked but I understand it is back. I am not sure whether it will get built as planned but something will get built there. Jay

Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Maybe they'll bring back Father Panik Village. I always thought that name was appropiate.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 AM

2,081 posts, read 4,121,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Looks like Bridgeport is an up and coming town. Did you check those places to live out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Maybe they'll bring back Father Panik Village. I always thought that name was appropiate.
Well is it up and coming or should they bring back Father Panik Village?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Well is it up and coming or should they bring back Father Panik Village?
I say an upscale FPV overlooking the Yellow Mill River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or