Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:40 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times

Advertisements

According to breitbart.com, Bridgeport ranks as the 309th safest city out of 371 on their list. From an investment standpoint, be careful about buying in Bridgeport. If there is this much opinion being offered about not buying in Bridgeport, this same argument will surface when you go to sell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 04:01 PM

36 posts, read 179,988 times
I'd never move to Bridgeport, I live in CT. There are so many other places to move to in CT that are safer and have better schools.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:33 AM

135 posts, read 437,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datagirl View Post
Hello,

We are thinking of moving to Conn...Anyone know anything about Bridgeport area? Is it a high crime area? We are looking to move into a diverse neighborhood that is safe?
Hi,
Never consider Bridgeport!!!
It's not safe, there is a high crime level, drugs, and everything what a normal person would like to avoid. If you would like to live in diverse neighbourhood, think about Stamford. It's a nice city, diverse, clean, nice downtown, and what's the most important-it's safe. Plus it does have good schools.
If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to send me a message.
Magdalena1

Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 AM

135 posts, read 437,424 times
[quote=mason21;306014]
Quote:
Originally Posted by datagirl View Post
Hello,

We are thinking of moving to Conn...Anyone know anything about Bridgeport area? Is it a high crime area? We are looking to move into a diverse neighborhood that is safe?Also about the schools as well. I have kids and want to make sure that I am not making a mistake.
Hi,
Never consider Bridgeport!!!
It's not safe, there is a high crime level, drugs, and everything what a normal person would like to avoid. If you would like to live in diverse neighbourhood, think about Stamford. It's a nice city, diverse, clean, nice downtown, and what's the most important-it's safe. Plus it does have good schools.
If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to send me a message.
Magdalena1

Old 01-27-2007, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 26,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Re: Bridgeport. Taxes are insanely high. My sil's parents live in the North End and can't leave gas grill, etc. out in the summer--it'll get stolen. Schools are not highly rated. Crime,crime,crime. What does diversity mean to you? Move to the safest, best school area you can afford, and if it's all white so what? Then maybe you'll be the one to begin diversity in that area. Not trying to be rude.
I live in the North end of Bridgeport, and often leave my car doors open at nights, my kids leave their bikes and toys outside, and th elast time I checked, my grill was stil in my back yard.

Downsides of this city is poor schools, but there are tons of excellent private schools around...

and yes, we have the highest propery taxes in the nation.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 20,805 times
Default Long gone are the days of PT Barnum

Low diversity, almost non-existant white population, and those that are white tend to be of italian background. Much political corruption. The highest property taxes of ANY city in the United States. Auto insurance premiums are high as well. It seems as if half of the city could be on welfare. Litter, urban decay, drug trade, and crime are also major problems. If you are a good hearted visionary, this may be a place for you to help rebuild. Visit the 2nd floor of the PT Barnum museum located in the beautiful stone building near I95/downtown, and you shall see Bridgeport in it's past glory..

Old 01-30-2007, 08:49 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke995 View Post
and you shall see Bridgeport in it's past glory..
Sad, isn't it? And what kills me is Bridgeport has an beautiful coastline, an incredible asset, but who wants to go there?

Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Sad, isn't it? And what kills me is Bridgeport has an beautiful coastline, an incredible asset, but who wants to go there?
I agree. I am not that old, but I grew up in the area and as long as I can remember there has been talk of doing something with the waterfront to clean up the place and attract visitors. So far absolutely nothing has been done. It is sad, because it has such potential due to its location but nothing ever seems to change.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:37 AM

154 posts, read 801,895 times
I have been wondering what it will take to "revitalize the city" in the same sense of how New Haven has been reconstructed and still is in the process from many years previous where crime was rampant in the downtown area. Now much of the seedy areas are being pushed further outwards as the inner city is attracting new business and as downtown prices rise.

Bridgeport is in a very ideal location, on the shoreline next to a number of VERY wealthy cities, has access to both 15 and 95 as well as the Metro North, and already has being a big city going for it. I worked in the North End on the Stratford line and it was a pretty nice area.

Perhaps Bridgeport needs to look at New Haven as a role model. Start with the inner city and push the crime out of the center by bringing in business, lowering taxes or giving tax breaks for businesses, demolishing run down areas and rebuilding with luxury condos or converting the run down areas into a higher class of condo/home. When you see property values rise you just see less crime in general as those often committing the crimes are the poor.

Just imagine all the properties to scoop up fairly cheap if Bridgeport began a renewal. People would make a killing as property values rose. I'd love to buy some old warehouses and convert to condos, that's been one of those projects I've always wanted to do.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:41 PM

8 posts, read 59,323 times
i would definitely recommend Stamford or Stratford over Bridgeport. Stamford is a lot more expensive but is also a lot nicer. Stratford is next door to Bridgeport but is safer and not much more expensive. both cities are in the same general area, both are of similar density and both are diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut