U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 06:18 AM

21 posts, read 51,681 times

Advertisements

Chilopod:
I'm glad you are still looking and haven't bought anything in Westlake. A discussion on "how many" robberies, break-ins, etc., is certainly a place to stay away from.

Anyway, here are some other suggestions. Have you tried Weslyan Hills? It's on the other side of town adjacent to Wesley School. (no connection to the University) Many, many nice codos and small homes to choose from. It's got walking and bike paths, very pretty and safe. There is a pool club very close by you can join if that is important to you.

Theresa
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
The discussion on West Lake is only being brought up by one or two (basically you and another poster) who are not regulars on this forum. Many others here who are regulars (including me) and who know the area first hand disagree with its portrayal as an area to avoid.

West Lake is an area of small modest homes and apartment and condo complexes that is along I-91 which makes it very convenient to most of Connecticut's major employment centers. For someone looking for an affordable convenient place to live, it is great.

Whether it is safe enough to live there is really subjective. Is there suburban crime there? Yes, but it is no more than other similar places. There are burgularies and minor crimes in even the most upscale and desirable of towns. Sorry but that is part of life in urban America.

As for your recommendation to check Wesleyan Hills, you have made it before and again I will note that Wesleyan Hills is not that convenient. It is located south of downtown, generally requires going through downtown (including those pesky lights on route 9) to get anywhere and would be an additional 10 to 15 minutes of commuting time. To me, it is not worth the added time it would take to commute to major employment centers like Hartford and New Haven. Then again it is up to the person to decide. Jay

Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,743,535 times
I agree-Wesleyan Hills, while nice enough, is not really convieniently located, especially if your commute is north. I would not choose Wesleyan Hills over Westlake, based only on perceived crime fears. I lived in Westlake for a dozen years, in total, so I know the area QUITE well. And I looked at, but ultimately did not choose, homes in Wesleyan Hills (we're no longer in Westlake, but still in Westfield). I didn't want their HOA and it was just not convienent for my particular commute.

BTW, there is petty crime there also, and concerns with speeding on a few streets. Just so you know!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,035 times
Just my two cents here...I moved from Shelton into Windshire Terrace in December 2004 upon graduation from college and lived there through October/November 2005. Even though WT is renters, the area is shared with Forest Glenn. It was a nice community and never had any problems with cars. I lived in Building 5 all the way in the back.

In 2005 I started looking for condos in the area of West Lake and actually settled in Cromwell Hills, Phase 3. That was also a great area to own in. The units are 30+ years old but with a modest budget I was able to sell (+$150K, 2 bedroom non-end unit) in June 2009 for more than I paid for and bought a bigger home in Cromwell. Overall my experience in Cromwell Hills was pleasant, great neighbors, nice amenities and safe.

Just remember, there are always break ins where there are large concentrations of cars. From a burglars perspective, there are many more opportunities to take stuff in these parking lots. The only time I ever heard of someone's stuff getting stolen in Windshire Terrace or Cromwell Hills was when they left something out i.e. gps, purse/wallet, ipod. Other times they didn't even lock their car doors. I've lived in the Middletown/Cromwell area now for 5 years and have never had a problem. I just keep all my stuff out of sight or bring it inside with me. A little common sense goes a long way.

This is really a great area to live in - young or old.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:21 PM

21 posts, read 51,681 times
I understand I'm not a regular poster on here Jay, and also that that we disagree about West Lake. I think it's important for potential residents to get different viewpoints. I've lived in Middletown or had a business in Middletown my entire life and fee qualified to give an opinion.

I don't live in Wesleyan Hills anymore, but I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great place to bring up my son, just so much better than West Lake. Worth the extra commute easily. I'm not saying you or I are right or wrong, but rather I'd like to give people a variety of options before they make their final choice. I'm sure we can both agree on that point.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 PM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Your opinion is welcome but you must understand, many people that read these posts are not familar with the area and are looking for information on and objective opinions of different locations. They want advice and are trusting what is being said is accurate. To characterize the West Lake area as bad is not accurate at all. It is a very nice section of Middletown with a lot of nice mid to luxury apartment and condo complexes and is very convenient to most major employment centers. It is not scary or unsafe by most comparisons. There are no gangs hanging out or drugs being pushed on the street corners. Not even close. It is a great place for someone to live who wants a convenient location or to someone new to the area looking for their first place to live. Jay

Old 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM

841 posts, read 1,651,485 times
I've just come over from another forum offering a sweepstakes to new members here so I'm going to chime in on this older (but still current) thread and some of the other westlake threads.

I don't think I would consider rent/owning on washington street. With the Carabetta's properties in that area coupled with the fact that it is 4 lanes and a significant detour to Rt 9 when I91 backs up I can't see it being safer/better than Westlake. In fact I don't find Westlake, where I've lived for 5 years and my wife has owned for almost 10, unsafe at all.

Yes it is true there are lots of complexes of all styles and shapes, yes it is a busy area as about 1/3 of the population of Middletown lives in this area (check out the city meetings if you have time) so there will be a concentration of petty issues and yes there is one complex at the Smith Street end of the street (backs forest glen but I have a colleague with a unit there and no problems) that could use a little cleaning up but none of the complexes are "lost causes" and none are state owned to my knowledge.

If you're concerned about how a population that size functions there area is quiet by 10pm so don't worry too much about traffic at bed time, the state police barracks are around the corner "Country Club road/Smith Street and there is a sizeable city fire station less than 2 minutes away. Any of the fires that make the news are typically a black spot on the side of the building, Trolley crossing lost a building to fire but it was still structurally sound and rebuilt within a year.

Compared to other places I've lived and people's homes I've visited I would live here without a hestiation. I do recommend driving through any area you move to though and as far as theft if you don't have a garage be careful in any neighborhood what you leave in an unattended vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut