U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 AM

27 posts, read 45,953 times

Advertisements

J&A'sMom - I sent you a DM. Txs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 AM

24,577 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&A'sMOM View Post
The commute can be really hard day to day. DH has done it for over 2 years and we've lived in Fairfield for 4 years. We have researched West Chester Cty and have found some affordable solutions that will cut his 1hr 40 min commute (door to door) down to 1hr or less door to door. If you want some suggestions pm me and I'll be happy to let you know what I've found. Currently our children go to private schools.
J&A'sMOM - Why don't you post your suggestion here? There are many people that could benefit from what you have found. Many people here are looking to Connecticut for an afofrdable alternative to expensive Westchester. Jay

Old 05-03-2010, 06:57 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,121,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MA View Post
Hi folks,
to NYC - I don't think we want any longer than that. However, if there are other thoughts on location, I am more than willing to consider other options.
Westport! Great town...you won't be disappointed!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:58 AM

27 posts, read 45,953 times
Hi all,
A quick update - my husband just learned that if this position works out, the majority of his time will have to be spent in Jersey City with 1 to 2 days in Midtown. This could be a deal killer for us. I am guessing it would make no sense for us to live in CT if this is indeed the case. He is inquiring with his potential employer if there is flexibility with location - ie most time spent in midtown with 1 to 2 days in Jersey City. This process has been over two months long and it is interesting that this information is now coming to the forefront. Anyway, I know NOTHING about NJ. My assumption is Fairfield County to Jersey City makes no sense - am I right? Thanks for any input.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 AM

588 posts, read 1,627,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MA View Post
Hi all,
A quick update - my husband just learned that if this position works out, the majority of his time will have to be spent in Jersey City with 1 to 2 days in Midtown. This could be a deal killer for us. I am guessing it would make no sense for us to live in CT if this is indeed the case. He is inquiring with his potential employer if there is flexibility with location - ie most time spent in midtown with 1 to 2 days in Jersey City. This process has been over two months long and it is interesting that this information is now coming to the forefront. Anyway, I know NOTHING about NJ. My assumption is Fairfield County to Jersey City makes no sense - am I right? Thanks for any input.
Definitely not...he would get stuck in so many different pockets of traffic that unless he left for work by 6 am and then left work after 7pm, he would be miserable. And, the trains are no fun because of the number of transfers or the expense. You'd be better off looking in NJ. Check out NJ Transit for mass transit info - depending on where in Jersey City he is, he can take a train to Hoboken and transfer to the path or light rail, or the train to Secaucus and transfer from there. There are a bunch of great towns along the Midtown Direct line - Chatham, Summit, Maplewood, Millburn... the latter 2 have a tendency to much higher taxes since they are in Essex County. Hop over to the NJ forum - they would have more info for you.

This seems to be a pattern for a bunch of the mid- and top-tier financial firms... they are hooking people with an ad for midtown or Wall St., but then they throw Jersey City into the mix since the rents are much cheaper. Good luck with the negotiations!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 AM

201 posts, read 630,069 times
Toddb is right - NJ has many beautiful areas and has access to NYC. Not only trains but bus routes. Check out some houses on line and call a Realtor they will fill you in on the commutes. Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
I live in Old Greenwich -walking distance to metro north RR & train ride to Grand Central almost exactly an hour on the train. It would seem such a drag to try to commute from 'further up the line' as Stamford is a big train stop and to go past it ( to norwalk, westport, fairfield) you often have to change trains. The distance from Grand Central to job site is also very significant.the subway or bus takes some time. Another thought - the closer you are the cheaper the commute cost/ monthly train ticket. The Greenwich Schools are all excellent- the taxes are relatively low compared to surrounding towns is what I hear....on a house assessed a approx 950000. I am paying about 8.5k yr and the prices here have come down a bit. Cheaper houses are in the Byram neighborhoods generally.

Oops the New Jersey question-ugh- it is across the hudson river from here-and that is always a headache! Looks like maybe you will be moving to the NJ!... the two bridges- the George Washinbgton and the Tappanzee are sort of like the route to Cape Cod in the summer except almost all the time!

Old 08-02-2011, 12:36 PM

14 posts, read 22,148 times
We are 20 year long residents of Los Angeles. We have loved the city. My husband works in the commercial film business and can work in NYC so we are seriously looking to move to Westport, CT (I used to live there 20+ years ago). We would be moving with our two daughters, one entering middle school and one entering third grade. We are also a transracially adoptive family, hispanic, asian, caucasian, jewish. We feel like the Westport public schools would be a good option perhaps. We do appreciate project based learning and some of the more progressive educational models we have had here but are eager to lose tuition costs and put our soon to be teenage daughters in a smaller town setting. Has anyone made or considered this move? I would love your insights.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:30 PM

24,577 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastMom View Post
We are 20 year long residents of Los Angeles. We have loved the city. My husband works in the commercial film business and can work in NYC so we are seriously looking to move to Westport, CT (I used to live there 20+ years ago). We would be moving with our two daughters, one entering middle school and one entering third grade. We are also a transracially adoptive family, hispanic, asian, caucasian, jewish. We feel like the Westport public schools would be a good option perhaps. We do appreciate project based learning and some of the more progressive educational models we have had here but are eager to lose tuition costs and put our soon to be teenage daughters in a smaller town setting. Has anyone made or considered this move? I would love your insights.
You should probably start a new thread for this. Westport is a great town. It has excellent schools and a lot of great family activities. The comute into Manhattan is not fun but not horrible either. Many do it. good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or