U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:48 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,285,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Lots of Californians tend to group the "East Coast" as all the same. This is far from the truth, as NC and VA are *much* different than NYC and New England.

Sorry you hate VA - I wouldn't like it either.
Lived in Mass for two years and NY for another, then MD and now I'm in VA. I LOVE the culture and the history and the area of all 4 states--it's the weather that I can't deal with. If you could transport the winters of California to the east coast, I'd be a happy girl here

Sorry to burst into a CT thread--I saw it on the "recent posts" page and thought I'd add my two cents. I don't know anything about the specific weather of CT compared to the other 4 states, but I know that it is a very real issue for me, and something that should be considered.

I'm glad I tried something new--I probably always would have wondered "what if" if I hadn't, so there's something to be said for trying new things! I also know that the grass is always greener, and you rarely appreciate what you have while you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 AM

15,741 posts, read 21,991,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGgal View Post
Not to mention some space between houses would be nice. Any suggestions of which is better- Farmington, Avon, Simsbury, Southington & surrounding?
You mentioned "great restaurants in a walkable downtown area", so I suggest you take a look at West Hartford.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Lived in Mass for two years and NY for another, then MD and now I'm in VA. I LOVE the culture and the history and the area of all 4 states--it's the weather that I can't deal with. If you could transport the winters of California to the east coast, I'd be a happy girl here

Sorry to burst into a CT thread--I saw it on the "recent posts" page and thought I'd add my two cents. I don't know anything about the specific weather of CT compared to the other 4 states, but I know that it is a very real issue for me, and something that should be considered.

I'm glad I tried something new--I probably always would have wondered "what if" if I hadn't, so there's something to be said for trying new things! I also know that the grass is always greener, and you rarely appreciate what you have while you have it.
Weather in CT will be similar to southeast NY and RI. Fairly mild compared to inland New England, upstate NY and the upper Midwest, but a shock to the system of southern Californians or Floridians.

Good luck with your move back west. You can't really beat southern California weather.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 8,533 times
I've had a chance to visit most of these places but he hasn't yet. I liked West Hartford but it was a little too populated and the houses seemed too close together. Other than that, I really liked it. Simsbury was really beautiful but a little too far from my parents in Milford. Does anyone have anything to say about Farmington or Southington? They both seemed nice but I only drove through the town centers.
Thanks!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 AM

17 posts, read 10,018 times
The state has actually weathered the recession better then the sunbelt. There have been encouraging job gains over the last few months- the toxic real estate assets elsewhere are not as large as a problem here.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGgal View Post
I've had a chance to visit most of these places but he hasn't yet. I liked West Hartford but it was a little too populated and the houses seemed too close together. Other than that, I really liked it. Simsbury was really beautiful but a little too far from my parents in Milford. Does anyone have anything to say about Farmington or Southington? They both seemed nice but I only drove through the town centers.
Thanks!
Farmington is very nice, and the closest to Plainville. It's a bit more rural than West Hartford. I don't know much about Southington - just driven through it. It seems more suburban with homes on smaller lots, though I could be wrong.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:08 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,840,570 times
Southington is a great town, tons of family activites, the homes are all on decent size lots and have a great community feel. The only homes on small lots are those off the main roads such as Queen st and Main street. The neighborhoods aren't like that at all. The schools are good and it's only a 10 minute commute to Plainville.
Lower taxes then Farmington too, and less traffic if you ask me.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 AM

I also would like to suggest Cheshire for the OP. Beautiful town, great schools, and right in between Plainville and Milford.

Also I don't think Southington has a town center (that I know of).

Old 04-30-2010, 09:28 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,840,570 times
Plantsville which is a section of Southington has a town center and Southington itself has a center and green across from the Town Hall. I think that would be classified as there center. Where the library is and all the concerts are held.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Plantsville which is a section of Southington has a town center and Southington itself has a center and green across from the Town Hall. I think that would be classified as there center. Where the library is and all the concerts are held.
I stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut