U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM

2,102 posts, read 6,807,607 times

Advertisements

Southington was/is one of the fastest growing towns in the state based on new construction permits issued. Each of the four sections (Marion, Milldale, Plantsville, and Southington) has its on character. I've heard that the recent growth has led to a potential over-crowding of the high school. When I moved to central Connecticut back in 1991, it was one of two towns that I was considering. The other one was Cheshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM

24,586 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Farmington lacks the downtown you desire but is close enough to West Hartford that you could take a trip there easily and often. Even Southington does not have a really good downtown though. I agree that you might want to look in Cheshire. It is a little closer to Milford and not a bad commute to Plainville. Jay

Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Farmington lacks the downtown you desire but is close enough to West Hartford that you could take a trip there easily and often. Even Southington does not have a really good downtown though. I agree that you might want to look in Cheshire. It is a little closer to Milford and not a bad commute to Plainville. Jay
Please note: we don't have a downtown...just an intersection of Routes 10, 68, and 70.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:29 AM

15,742 posts, read 21,996,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Please note: we don't have a downtown...just an intersection of Routes 10, 68, and 70.
Very true. It is walkable though, right? I know it's spread out and not your traditional "downtown" but it's a very attractive area. I remember there being sidewalks, though I could be wrong.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:12 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,200,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGgal View Post
I We "dream" of a place that is beautiful, small town rural feel but also lots to do nearby, house in lightly wooded area, space/ privacy between neighbors, great restaurants in walkable downtown area, great schools, reasonable prices, laid back, cool, fun, outdoorsy, apple orchards, cider mills, friendly people, etc.
Wallingford fits that description to a T and you'll have an easy commute to Plainville and just down the Meritt to Milford.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Very true. It is walkable though, right? I know it's spread out and not your traditional "downtown" but it's a very attractive area. I remember there being sidewalks, though I could be wrong.
Cheshire's downtown walkable? Not really. The only foot traffic is from the Cheshire Academy. I'm actually quite envious of Southington's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut