Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:43 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,913,607 times

Advertisements

Can anybody recommend a skilled installer of granite countertops in CT? I'm in Eastern CT.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 PM

34,804 posts, read 56,687,351 times
Ferrazoli on Middle Street in Middletown. I know a couple of people that used them and thought they were excellent and reasonably priced. They go all over the state. Jay

Old 04-30-2010, 12:47 PM

588 posts, read 1,868,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Can anybody recommend a skilled installer of granite countertops in CT? I'm in Eastern CT.

Thank you!
All Granite & Marble Co. (Granite Countertops and Vanity Tops at All Granite And Marble Corp) They are based in NJ just over the GWB, but they'll go pretty much anywhere in the area. My inlaws used them in Monroe and Essex. I used them in Fairfield. They did an incredible job, were in and out quickly with no mess, and were cheaper than what we were quoted for Corian. You can only see the few seams if you are within a foot or so of the counter. Otherwise it's a perfect blend - the guy was an artist with that stuff, mixing for about 20 minutes until he came up with the right color.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:42 AM

786 posts, read 3,917,548 times
We had an excellent experience with Global Granite. They are on the Berlin turnpike, but they came all the way out to Burlington and they work all over the state.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,400,504 times
I used Lyman Kitchens in Hartford. They had the best price and were great to work with.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Thank you all, I appreciate it!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:01 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,966,867 times
Well, being a stone guy and the only factory certified Corian repair guy in the area, I have my bias. Lyman would be my first choice not knowing what the job entails, but I find that certain companies do certain types of installs better. What style kitchen and what does it entail? Perhaps I can point you in a better direction.

I don't install any longer, just repair and restoration (Just restored an 120 year old foyer for the CT Historical Society. ) - so when you spill olive oil on the counter and end up with a big "forever stain" let me know. lol

Have you considered engineered granite? They basically bake in a small percentage of sealer. It's what I would put in my own house if I was doing granite. (I'm leaning towards quartz right now with the remodel. )

Old 05-02-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well, being a stone guy and the only factory certified Corian repair guy in the area, I have my bias. Lyman would be my first choice not knowing what the job entails, but I find that certain companies do certain types of installs better. What style kitchen and what does it entail? Perhaps I can point you in a better direction.

I don't install any longer, just repair and restoration (Just restored an 120 year old foyer for the CT Historical Society. ) - so when you spill olive oil on the counter and end up with a big "forever stain" let me know. lol

Have you considered engineered granite? They basically bake in a small percentage of sealer. It's what I would put in my own house if I was doing granite. (I'm leaning towards quartz right now with the remodel. )
Engineered Granite? I never heard of it; but it sounds pretty good. I like the idea of incorporating the seal coat at the factory. I did call Lyman a couple of days ago and will fax them a sketch of my kitchen so they can take a look.

What are the major pitfalls of granite other than porosity?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,966,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Engineered Granite? I never heard of it; but it sounds pretty good. I like the idea of incorporating the seal coat at the factory. I did call Lyman a couple of days ago and will fax them a sketch of my kitchen so they can take a look.

What are the major pitfalls of granite other than porosity?
Well, I was being very generic there. Technically, engineered stone is more quartz than anything. The difference between it and all quartz is that engineered is about 90% quartz "bits" bonded by a polymer and baked off. It's non porous, and a bit tougher than granite. Slightly more expensive. What you don't get is some of the great sweeping patterns you can get in natural stone.

Straight up quartz gives you best of both worlds IMO. But it can be insanely expensive.

Porosity and brittle are problems with granite. Depending on the design it's easy to chip the edges. (Think of having an "oops" and banging a pot into the edging or whatever) I've also seen some modern granite be harvested way too thin to be cheap on cost...put a hot pot on it, and hope you are not on a natural fischer through the stone or you'll hear "POP" and have a giant crack through it.

Good luck!

P.S. I've done some sub work for Lyman. They are not cheap, but very good.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,400,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
P.S. I've done some sub work for Lyman. They are not cheap, but very good.
I got four quotes for my counters. Lyman was the cheapest by far and the only company that included plumbing in the price (sink hook-up). They seemed the most knowledgeable and had the best price. Can't beat that! Granted I just did counters, not cabinets, backsplash, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut