U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,305,133 times

Advertisements

Mystic is really the only tourist spot along 95 in CT, and you've obviously been there and done that. Have you ever done Newport, RI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 AM

15,802 posts, read 22,101,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle423 View Post
It's on the water, right where the connecticut river and the long island sound meet.
That would actually be Old Saybrook and Old Lyme. Essex is not on LI sound - it's one town inland on the CT river.

I agree, nice downtown though.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 AM

725 posts, read 1,792,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalieCat View Post
I am looking for a town to spend about 2 days in this June. We're vacationing up in Maine for several days and want to stay in CT for a few also on the way home. We will be on 95 so somewhere close to that would be great! There will be me and husband, youngest daughter and our 3 1/2 old Grandson. Looking for somewhere safe that has cute shops, antique stores, maybe a natural food grocery type store, coffee shop. A place where we can walk around town a lot, sit by the water, enjoy the beauty of the town, etc. We've been to Mystic so I'm not interested in going there this time, looking for somewhere different.

Thanks for the advice!!
If you have 2 days, I would recommend splitting the time between Madison, Guilford and Branford. They are 3 towns (in a row, east to west)on Long Island Sound and I-95. As mentioned previously, Madison has Hammonassett State Beach and a nice little walkable downtown area. Guilford has a beautiful 10-acre green with shops and original colonial-era buildings -- there is also accessible waterfront with docks & dining at the end of Whitfield street. Branford has a walkable waterfront neighborhood called Stony Creek from which you can take a "cruise" of the Thimble Islands (they are 1/4 to 1/2 mile off of the pier).

Be sure to take Route 146 between Guilford and Branford. It is a much more scenic drive than Route 1 or I-95.

Madison's bed & breakfast(s) are probably your nicest option for lodging.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:08 PM

263 posts, read 690,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
If you have 2 days, I would recommend splitting the time between Madison, Guilford and Branford. They are 3 towns (in a row, east to west)on Long Island Sound and I-95. As mentioned previously, Madison has Hammonassett State Beach and a nice little walkable downtown area. Guilford has a beautiful 10-acre green with shops and original colonial-era buildings -- there is also accessible waterfront with docks & dining at the end of Whitfield street. Branford has a walkable waterfront neighborhood called Stony Creek from which you can take a "cruise" of the Thimble Islands (they are 1/4 to 1/2 mile off of the pier).

Be sure to take Route 146 between Guilford and Branford. It is a much more scenic drive than Route 1 or I-95.

Madison's bed & breakfast(s) are probably your nicest option for lodging.
This sounds like a plan! I just looked and Branford has a 3 day weekend Fathers Day festival, and that would be the time we are there! I just need to see where we might stay. The B&B's are probably out of the question this time since we will have 3 adults and a toddler. Most are set up for 2 people and don't take little ones. If they do, the charge for extra people make the price too high.

Keep the suggestions coming though! I wouldn't say Mystic is totally out of the question, just prefer somewhere we haven't been.....

Old 05-01-2010, 12:10 PM

263 posts, read 690,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Mystic is really the only tourist spot along 95 in CT, and you've obviously been there and done that. Have you ever done Newport, RI?
I think we would prefer somewhere in CT since that should help shorten our drive back to GA, but no, never been to Newport, maybe next time!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:14 PM

15,802 posts, read 22,101,997 times
Quote:
This sounds like a plan! I just looked and Branford has a 3 day weekend Fathers Day festival, and that would be the time we are there! I just need to see where we might stay. The B&B's are probably out of the question this time since we will have 3 adults and a toddler. Most are set up for 2 people and don't take little ones. If they do, the charge for extra people make the price too high.

Keep the suggestions coming though! I wouldn't say Mystic is totally out of the question, just prefer somewhere we haven't been.....
There are a few hotels located on the strip of Rt 1 in Branford but there are some chains over there and it's not walkable. If you check craigslist there should be some weekly rentals in Branford.

I agree though, Stony Creek is really nice and definitely consider the Thimble Island cruise!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:10 PM

725 posts, read 1,792,365 times
Quote:

As Kidyankee mentioned, there are some regular hotels/motels on Route 1 in each of these towns (maybe not Madison), but they are not exactly resorts and won't be in very walkable areas.

Depending on where you are, Route 1 and I-95 in Branford and Guilford can have some high volume traffic especially in Summer which tends to get worse the further west you go. So keep that in mind. Personally, I would see if there are any hotels not on Route 1 (south of Route 1 would be most convenient; Route 80 is pretty far out of your way).

Old 05-03-2010, 10:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,556 times
I would check out downtown Milford. There's great up & coming shops and lots of summer activities, especially on the weekends. If you walk down the side street, you have a beautiful view of the water, sailboats, a little bridge, huge park. It's right off of 95 and IMO, worth a visit.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:16 PM

42 posts, read 86,127 times
well old saybrooks very nice if ur into beaches. new londons kinda dirty but ocean beach is pretty nice. if ur in ct and want scenery id recommend out northwest ct, like torrington, litchfield, that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut