U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 AM

24 posts, read 39,500 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating so I can take a job in Middletown and I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping people on this board can answer. Thanks in advance!

1) I'm reading that there are some less-than-wonderful areas of Meriden, and I was wondering if Middlesex Community College's Meriden campus fell under the better or the worse areas, as my wife is considering applying for positions there.

2) We are currently considering Newington, Wethersfield, and West Hartford as our top three choices because we would like proximity to things like Barnes and Noble and big shopping like that. My hope is that the commute to Middletown from these areas is not too bad because it's against traffic, but I'd like verification or disagreement on this point. I'd also like any recommendations on specific places to look at or avoid in those areas (and in Middletown itself as well). Our budget to buy is around 280K (though 250 is better), and though we don't have kids yet, we would like a strong school system and young families nearby. We'd also like to try and buy a relatively newer home (20 years or less) if possible.

I appreciate the help!
-Jeffrey
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 08:51 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,188,275 times
#1 - Meriden's campus is in Downtown Meriden. She would have to parking in a parking lot/garage and I don't know if there is a charge or how easy/difficult finding parking would be. Downtown is not the greatest area, and I never felt safe when I lived in a high-rise there (right near the campus). Although I did feel a bit safer during the daytime. I found if I MYOB it was okay. However, I tried to never go out at night. Also, traffic can get bad and the train station is right there, so traffic gets pretty backed up when a train comes through. Just my 2 cents/opinion.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 AM

#2 - I grew up in Newington. The "bad area" (which really isn't as horrible as other parts of the state) is over towards New Britain, near Twin City Plaza. Really nice areas are behind Wal Mart and that way. However, I like the "other" side of Newington (off Robbins Avenue, Main Street near the Center, off Connecticut Avenue, off Fenn Road - the back roads). Not sure what you can find for $250-280K though. Newington is pretty pricey. You would have to commute via 91 or the Berlin Turnpike, which can get very congested.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 AM

Just to clarify - I grew up in Newington but have lived in Meriden the past 12 years.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 AM

24,593 posts, read 40,150,372 times
Middlesex CC's Meriden campus is located downtown. Though Meriden has issues, it is not like large cities with really bad areas to avoid completely. The area is relatively safe as long as your wife is reasonably careful.

As for towns to live in, all of the towns you mention are excellent choices and would be an easy commute to Middletown. As for Middletown itself, some of the older areas around downtown have issues. I would suggest looking at these towns and once you see something you like, post them here for recommendations on whether the location is an issue or not. Jay

Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,264,474 times
The commute down route 9 should be easy. You won't find anything under 20 yrs old in your price range in WH, unless it's tiny and cheaply built. You could find a 1950s era 1500 sq ft home for your price. I'd consider renting for 6 -12 months close to your job, and checking out the area so you can make an educated decision. Biggest home buying mistake we ever made was buying when we moved from far away and bought our first home. Beautiful house, wrong neighborhood for us. Also, I strongly suspect that, in your price range, the market is going to be very slow, since a lot of people who intended to buy were persuaded to do so by the tax credit, which is now over. You might be able to pick up a real bargain in the late fall, early winter.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:38 PM

8,833 posts, read 14,240,500 times
West Hartford is very nice, only issue is the small part of your commute that is from W Hartford to Hartford (i.e. the little stretch of I-84 to I-91) may be brutal. But if you're close enough to Rt. 9 to only go on that road, it might be good (in that sense Newington would be better).

Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,745,021 times
You might consider living right in Middletown. Why commute when you don't have to?

Try looking out towards/in the Westfield area. In your budget, you could find something decent, although it might not be less than 20 yrs old. The elementary schools in town are pretty good-as for the middle/high school, mixed reviews, but many are happy with them. Some arent' and there are private high schools.

I would not look in the downtown area or further south-it would make for a long drive to the places you want to go like WH.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:46 PM

24 posts, read 39,500 times
I'm not sure what the Westfield area is, but we found a house online that we're planning to check out in Middletown right about at the Cromwell border. It looks like it's basically tucked in between 9 and 91. How does that area rate in terms of school district, safety, and the important things like that? Is there much to do right in that area, or will we we need to go towards downtown for restaurants, grocery stores, book stores, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or