U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 PM

4,445 posts, read 8,295,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
The window units are working great, plus the hubs received a military discount! That is always nice. Funny you should mention people sitting out on their front porch. My husband and I made a few comments about that. We're like "why does everyone hang out outside of their home out here". There is one guy that lives across the street that sits on his front porch every day...all day. I see him when I leave for work and I see him sitting out there when I get home. At first I was kinda freaked out by it.....then my husband said "well hey, at least if someone breaks into the house or something...we know he'll probably be able to ID that person"....that is unless of course it is him. Ha! Just joking, it isn't that bad. I like to exaggerate.

I will definitely check out the beaches suggested. I've heard the lighthouse beach is NOT a place you want to dip your toes in the water. BTW aren't you the one that sent me those Fab pictures a while back?
Yes, they are still up in the photo section I think.

Actually, Lighthouse Beach is not all that bad. I haven’t been there in many years…but the water quality is nothing really all that bad. The Port of New Haven is not a huge port like New York or New Orleans, so while the water off Lighthouse is likely not as clean as beaches further east…it’s not horrible either. Just like everything else though, you get tired of seeing the same thing, so you never travel to things that are so close. I think in the last 10 years, I have been to Ocean City, Maryland more times than to Lighthouse Beach in New Haven –lol.

From where you are though, I still think Hammonsett is the best bet. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:33 AM

2,838 posts, read 8,853,654 times
LOL! We're moving back to Florida in a couple of months... the last few days have just made me look forward to the warmth again! Air conditioning already? Seriously? I'm laughing, the same way that my family members laughed at me for turning on the heat in FL when the temperature in the house was less than 72! :P

Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,217,087 times
How about today eh? NICE!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 AM

24,643 posts, read 40,220,293 times
It is soooo nice out today. To bad I can't enjoy it. Jay

Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,194,999 times
Today is sooo nice out - I agree. I am home sick though, and don't think sitting in the sun would be good though, LOL.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 PM

8,837 posts, read 14,260,097 times
Very nice. I hear Sunday into next week just like this but cool weather as well.....

Old 05-06-2010, 06:22 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,748,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Oh okay. It's pretty much that way down here too, the older wood homes with high ceilings have window units, but just about every house built after 1960 has central air. Most of the houses around here were built in the 60's and 70's so I guess that's why I'm used to it.
In my area, most homes do not have central air, unless someone added it later. My home was extensively renovated/expanded in 1985 and there is not ac. I've actually only lived in one place, ever, in CT that had central air and that was actually an apartment built in 1986. Thank goodness we didn't own that place because the outside fan box thingy broke the first month we lived there! I was told it is an $$$ item, which the complex had to pay for.

I am happy with ceiling fans in all the rooms, except two bedrooms (in the original part of the house-mid 50's) where the ceilings are too low. In those rooms we use the window fans. There is an attic fan too. I don't want the electric bills from ac units! There is one in our bedroom but running it makes the lights dim .

Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 AM

57 posts, read 86,032 times
That weather was precisely when we arrived and had movers in and out of the house and were up to our ears in boxes (actually still am!) and couldn't figure out how to make the AC work because all of the central controls were put in in 1954!! No joke. We went out and bought digital thermostats so we could at least tell what the heck the temp read out was and then figured out that there is some kind of switvh on the outside AC unit that has to be flipped for the thing to start cooling. It was a HOT first couple of nights in CT, let me tell you! But, all is well now and I am loving this weather!
I left south Florida for a reason (several actually) and heat was not the least of them. :-)

Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM

112 posts, read 207,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
LOL! We're moving back to Florida in a couple of months... the last few days have just made me look forward to the warmth again! Air conditioning already? Seriously? I'm laughing, the same way that my family members laughed at me for turning on the heat in FL when the temperature in the house was less than 72! :P
The more I read the more I really think I'm in the wrong state!!!! I've had the heat on in my apt full blast this past week. I'm cold unless it's 80 or higher. People think I'm crazy because on a 90+ day I will get in my car after being in AC all day (brrrrr) with the windows rolled up and just bask in the heat!!!! Give me a 100 degree day with a slight wind and I'm good!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:30 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,836,580 times
It's a strange place.

Get 90 and humid one weekend, get freeze warnings the next.

Who doesn't like a little variety in life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut