Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL Stop scaring people!
Hey, just sayin' it like it is! The humidity here can get downright brutal sometimes IMO. Of course, one person can be uncomfortable while another loves it. I'll admit, I have very little tolerance for humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 02:07 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,248 times
Jviello you are right on with this type of weather making me glad I don't live there anymore. This past weekend =April through October/November in Tampa. If anyone likes this type of weather, they should really consider moving there.

Renovating, you needed blankets and heat last July? I was living here at the time and I remember needing the a/c because it was do wet and humid. We stopped using our heat last year in early April. It shows how different everyone is.

I can't stand constant humidity but I will tolerate the occasional humid days only because you need humidity to get the lush green that we have. States that are extremely arid just don't get the pretty green that we get up here. I feel like we get the best of both worlds in New England, the lush green of the south but not near the humidity that the south gets.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
While last year was a record cool summer in the Tri-State area…July 2008 was the last time we had an old fashioned summer month.

The last really hot summer I can remember was the summer of 2005: Heat, humidity, and haze covered the whole East Coast almost without a break. Right from the start in early June it hit above 85 F and just kept going till mid September. August 2005 was the worst of it: From August 1st to August 15th…NWS Hartford, NYC, Trenton, NJ had a high everyday from 86 to 97 F ( it hit 90 – 97 F on 10 days in just early August 2005 at NWS Hartford). August 13 was the peak…many stations in the Tri-State area had THI numbers(heat/humidity combo) close to 110 F (the temp hit 99 F in NYC/and 97 F in Hartford, and 98 F in Trenton, NJ). From June 1st to September 22nd 2005…Hartford hit 84 F (or higher) 66 times.

National Weather Service Climate (Go to Preliminary Monthly Climate Data (CF6) then August 2005.

For those who hate heat…I hope another summer of 2005 is not coming again for their sake – lol.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:46 PM

108 posts, read 270,628 times
I think where I live is the real problem. It feels GREAT outside, it isn't that...it is the fact that I live in what I would call the ATTIC part of a house. Good Lord! Even with the windows wide open my curtains did not move....there was absolutely NO air circulating...probably because the homes are built so close together in New Haven. The first and second floors don't seem to feel as stifling as it does on the third floor. Even with our ac units the thermostat reads around 84. I can handle that. We keep our ac unit on about 72-75. For me that is perfect, but I cannot stand still, hot, suffocating heat. I slept much better last night and did not feel in danger of falling asleep at work like I did on Monday. Phew! Plus, I was worried about my poor dogs! They were drinking water like there was no tomorrow!

I think I'm going to start exploring the beaches pretty soon.

Oh and speaking of thunderstorms...like the one that silently crept on us Sunday night. My large dog (50 lbs) is deathly afraid of lightening. He sleeps on a pillow in our bedroom on the floor. At 3:30 in the morning he jumped in between my husband and I in the bed....exactly what we both needed to make the night complete. Muggy and hot...with a big furry animal in the bed. ICK!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:48 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I
One thing you'll experience that's pretty cool is, on a hot sticky Summer day, when a thunderstorm from the North rolls in, it's like God flipped on the AC. The temp drops like 5-10 degrees and it's comfortable.
And the irony that we just happened to have one of those storms today.

In 15 minutes or so, the temp dropped easily 10* and humidity by about 25%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
The last really hot summer I can remember was the summer of 2005:
Oh God, I remember that Summer. Not again, please.

But then again, IIRC just as we were much "hotter" parts South of us for the most part were in kind. NO THANKS!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:48 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
I think where I live is the real problem. It feels GREAT outside, it isn't that...it is the fact that I live in what I would call the ATTIC part of a house. Good Lord! Even with the windows wide open my curtains did not move....there was absolutely NO air circulating...probably because the homes are built so close together in New Haven. The first and second floors don't seem to feel as stifling as it does on the third floor. Even with our ac units the thermostat reads around 84. I can handle that. We keep our ac unit on about 72-75. For me that is perfect, but I cannot stand still, hot, suffocating heat. I slept much better last night and did not feel in danger of falling asleep at work like I did on Monday. Phew! Plus, I was worried about my poor dogs! They were drinking water like there was no tomorrow!

I think I'm going to start exploring the beaches pretty soon.

Oh and speaking of thunderstorms...like the one that silently crept on us Sunday night. My large dog (50 lbs) is deathly afraid of lightening. He sleeps on a pillow in our bedroom on the floor. At 3:30 in the morning he jumped in between my husband and I in the bed....exactly what we both needed to make the night complete. Muggy and hot...with a big furry animal in the bed. ICK!
You seem to be heading down many of the same paths I did - lol.

Our first place was an attic apt in a 2 family house in New Haven. When I first moved in, I always wondered why everyone on the whole street from May/Oct was on the front porch in late afternoon (lol). An attic apt is merciless in summer, no air movement, the black roof above absorbing that heat for ten hours, the heat of the city…etc. We had only a little window a/c that used to spit water it was so old and crappy. The only thing I can offer is that if you want a break from the A/C (used to give me a headace from the dry air after a while) when real summer comes…try getting a window exusat fan, run it in the very early morning hours to pull some of the cooler air…then keep the blinds down to block out the sun (and the windows shut) from 9 to 5 Pm. When it cools off (sometimes) after 7:00 PM…open all the windows and get the window fan going again. It only works so well though when it’s really hot.

As for the beaches, Lighthouse is not the best beach in CT to be sure, but it’s close if you’re in the city. Hammonsset is still the best bet from where you are, it’s at exit 62 off I-95 (about 20 min from New Haven). The best beach/surf closest to New Haven is across the state line in Rhode Island which faces the open sea (exit 92 off I-95). Ocean Beach in New London is nice with the Boardwalk and trails too (exit 82 off I-95). If you really get brave when summer comes and want to make a weekend thing…you might try Cape Cod, MA or Island Beach State Park/Cape May in New Jersey.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 PM

207 posts, read 452,643 times
WOW even during the really bad heat waves here the lows were in the 60's!! I don't know where the news got there temp readings from in FL (in the shade...near a fan) when I used to work outside in that heat all day and we always monitored the temps. it was not uncommon to read well over 100 in the sun. and we were very lucky if it dropped below 80 at night. This will be a breeze >B

Old 05-04-2010, 07:17 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
WOW even during the really bad heat waves here the lows were in the 60's!! I don't know where the news got there temp readings from in FL (in the shade...near a fan) when I used to work outside in that heat all day and we always monitored the temps. it was not uncommon to read well over 100 in the sun. and we were very lucky if it dropped below 80 at night. This will be a breeze >B

i hear ya.....
enjoy.....

Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 PM

181 posts, read 557,474 times
It has been absolutely perfect weather here in Groton. I'm not sure what the temps were, but the consistant cool breeze from off the water during the day kept life wonderful, and the cool night breeze made sleeping with the windows open a brilliant idea.

I did notice a very steep increase in temperature and humidity just a very short distance off the shore though last summer when I ran a store up in Norwich. It would just be hot, humid and stale when we were up at the store, but when we got home it was nice and comfortable.

We didn't have A/C until I was about 13. That included living in Norfolk, VA; New York City, and here in Groton. We got used to the heat and humidity and weathered it by spending time at the beach and mastering the art of constant air circulation with a very precise network of fans.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 PM

108 posts, read 270,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
You seem to be heading down many of the same paths I did - lol.

Our first place was an attic apt in a 2 family house in New Haven. When I first moved in, I always wondered why everyone on the whole street from May/Oct was on the front porch in late afternoon (lol). An attic apt is merciless in summer, no air movement, the black roof above absorbing that heat for ten hours, the heat of the city…etc. We had only a little window a/c that used to spit water it was so old and crappy. The only thing I can offer is that if you want a break from the A/C (used to give me a headace from the dry air after a while) when real summer comes…try getting a window exusat fan, run it in the very early morning hours to pull some of the cooler air…then keep the blinds down to block out the sun (and the windows shut) from 9 to 5 Pm. When it cools off (sometimes) after 7:00 PM…open all the windows and get the window fan going again. It only works so well though when it’s really hot.

As for the beaches, Lighthouse is not the best beach in CT to be sure, but it’s close if you’re in the city. Hammonsset is still the best bet from where you are, it’s at exit 62 off I-95 (about 20 min from New Haven). The best beach/surf closest to New Haven is across the state line in Rhode Island which faces the open sea (exit 92 off I-95). Ocean Beach in New London is nice with the Boardwalk and trails too (exit 82 off I-95). If you really get brave when summer comes and want to make a weekend thing…you might try Cape Cod, MA or Island Beach State Park/Cape May in New Jersey.
The window units are working great, plus the hubs received a military discount! That is always nice. Funny you should mention people sitting out on their front porch. My husband and I made a few comments about that. We're like "why does everyone hang out outside of their home out here". There is one guy that lives across the street that sits on his front porch every day...all day. I see him when I leave for work and I see him sitting out there when I get home. At first I was kinda freaked out by it.....then my husband said "well hey, at least if someone breaks into the house or something...we know he'll probably be able to ID that person"....that is unless of course it is him. Ha! Just joking, it isn't that bad. I like to exaggerate.

I will definitely check out the beaches suggested. I've heard the lighthouse beach is NOT a place you want to dip your toes in the water. BTW aren't you the one that sent me those Fab pictures a while back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut