Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:44 AM

108 posts, read 270,552 times

Advertisements

Ah, so I've been doing quite a bit of research on New Haven and I must say I am not very excited by what I've read. I have heard of people being robbed at gun point, seeing others shot right in front of them, etc. Am I moving to Connecticut's version of New Orleans? I even so much as looked up the crime statistics of New Haven and it stated that New Haven is safer than FIVE % of other cities in the US. At first I was horrified, but then I looked up Austin, Texas and it gave this city a six. I then looked up my original hometown and it got a TWO! I do want to move because I've been offered a job, but I am hesitant to move to a city that is considered not safe...especially for such a high cost of living.

I've heard that Westville, Wooster Square, West Rock, and the small towns (Shelton, Hamden) on the outside of New Haven are safe. Now, my concern is, am I going to pay the price for that?? I would like to find a 1 bedroom apt/multi family home for under a grand. Is that too much to ask?

Any advice and help would be appreciated. I will not get the chance to fly out there to check the place out until the last week of Feb/first week of March.

Thanks for all of your help!! --Carly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 AM

152 posts, read 478,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
Ah, so I've been doing quite a bit of research on New Haven and I must say I am not very excited by what I've read. I have heard of people being robbed at gun point, seeing others shot right in front of them, etc. Am I moving to Connecticut's version of New Orleans? I even so much as looked up the crime statistics of New Haven and it stated that New Haven is safer than FIVE % of other cities in the US. At first I was horrified, but then I looked up Austin, Texas and it gave this city a six. I then looked up my original hometown and it got a TWO! I do want to move because I've been offered a job, but I am hesitant to move to a city that is considered not safe...especially for such a high cost of living.

I've heard that Westville, Wooster Square, West Rock, and the small towns (Shelton, Hamden) on the outside of New Haven are safe. Now, my concern is, am I going to pay the price for that?? I would like to find a 1 bedroom apt/multi family home for under a grand. Is that too much to ask?

Any advice and help would be appreciated. I will not get the chance to fly out there to check the place out until the last week of Feb/first week of March.

Thanks for all of your help!! --Carly
I'd say New Haven is like any other city, in that it has its safer areas and not so safe areas. I lived in downtown on Crown St for almost 2 years and felt reasonably safe, but ultimately decided to move to Hamden to feel safer.

There are a couple of nightclubs that draw seedy crowds on Crown St in New Haven that have had shooting and stabbing incidents (Nikita, Marius, and Synergy, to name the worst establishments there). At the same time, you walk down a block to BAR or Owl Shop and are surrounded by Yalies and the scene is remarkably different.

Here is a crime log map of New Haven that gives you an idea of what occurs and where - you can be the judge:
New Haven Crime Log

I was a jogger and would run solo, but only during the day. Evening runs were with friends and I stayed away from jogging solo in East Rock area, as there are incidents there.

Here is a link to some incidents that occured while I lived there - apparently they are reopening that dumpy club again:

New Haven Independent | Cops Work "Around The Clock" On Sinergy Stabbing

Alchemy Assault Case Shut; Sinergy To Reopen | New Haven Independent

In the end, living downtown has amazing perks - New Haven has many cultural events and fabulous restaurants, but it is still a city and you have to be careful and use common sense (don't walk alone at night, etc.). Best of luck to you!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 AM

220 posts, read 524,943 times
I've lived in the East Rock neighborhood for almost 2 years and have felt pretty safe the entire time - granted, I do not walk alone after dark, I do not go jogging solo in the dark (in the summer there are more people out in East Rock and it is safer), I do not go to the downtown bars (not my scene anyway), and I am always aware of my surroundings. Yes, crime happens, just like in any other city, you should be fine. It is extremely unlikely that I would ever walk out my front door and see someone getting shot in the middle of my street.

For comparison, I grew up in a small town in NY and still would not go to bars by myself or walk alone after dark, although it is much 'safer' there than in other places. I used to leave valuable things in my car, but do not in New Haven, and now do not leave things in my car EVER. If you don't want this kind of situation, New Haven is not for you. For me, the benefits greatly outweigh the risks.

As for finding a 1 BR apartment under $1000, you may find it difficult. I am paying just over that for my current apartment, which includes hot water and electricity, and I consider it a fair price for my area. You do pay higher rent for safer neighborhoods. Check out the New Haven section of Craigslist and you should get a good idea of what's out there and how much it costs.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
As with any place the media only shows you the bad side of things. Any city has robberies and shootings.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Yea, I've lived in very "safe" apartment complexes and my husband's car has been broken into twice and has had the word "poop" keyed into the driver's side (this happened at TWO different apt complexes in two different cities). Seriously "poop"?!?! Also, where I lived in Louisiana my car was broken into. Like an idiot I had left my purse under my seat. They charged almost 600 dollars on my credit cards before I was able to cancel them. Blah! I can handle those things, I just don't want to be robbed at gun point. I make it a point to NOT go out at night alone. Also, the bar scene is not my thing. I don't mind once in a while, but it isn't something I do regularly.

I don't mind paying over 1,000 if other bills are included in that. I am just worried because my husband will not have a job when we move, and we will be living on one salary for a few months. I think it is better to be cautious and get something on the cheaper side in case it takes more than just a few months for him to find something.

Thank you all for your help. If anyone else has any areas that they would recommend please do so.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
If you're reluctant to live in New Haven, look at towns that border the city. You should find something that's fairly decent at your budget in East Haven, Hamden, or West Haven. Generally speaking, the cheapest rentals in West Haven and Hamden are likely to be in somewhat "sketchy" neighborhoods, so it's probably best to not bother looking into the cheapest one's advertised. Middle/Upper-priced units "should" be fine though.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:23 PM

220 posts, read 524,943 times
We also live on one salary, as my husband is a student. It can be done!

Good luck with your search. You might also consider towns outside of the city for lower rents, but keep commuting expenses in mind. I currently walk to my office from my apartment (20 minutes one-way), which keeps our costs down - that is only really doable if you live in East Rock or downtown. You could get public transportation from some of the other areas you mentioned and also from Hamden.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the advice! I am flying out that way in a couple of weeks and got in touch with a Broker. Hopefully I will find something in my budget that I'm happy with.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Good luck, Jay

Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,500 times
I'm in my mid 20's and use to live in the East Shore section of New Haven which borders the western half of East Haven. This section of New Haven along with East Rock, Edgewood/West Rock (western half), and the downtown areas surrounding Yale are the only locations that I rate as being safe. The areas of West Haven, East Haven, and Hamden that are bordering New Haven tend to be quite dumpy in nature. These locations have the tendency to be low income, have low property values, and have a high minority population.

However, the violent crime in New Haven doesn't come even close in comparison to say Hartford. The North End of Hartford is by far the most violent and dangerous neighborhood in New England. The most sketchy part of New Haven in Newhawville due to wannabee teenage gangs that rob and shoot people who make beefs with them.

Nicer Towns-Mostly middle to upper middle class
Shelton, Woodbridge, Orange, Central/North parts of Hamden, North Haven, Brandford, Guilford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut