U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 29,195 times

Advertisements

For the past few months my family has been planning to move to Long Island from Western NY. However, the family that we have in LI wants to move OUT! He went to school/lived in Connecticut and said that we should all consider moving there instead. My fiance has been to the area, but I haven't. I know nothing.. so ANY information would be helpful! I currently work for a non-profit organization assisting developmentally disabled individuals. If anyone knows of anyplace like this that I could possibly look into, that would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:22 PM

2,814 posts, read 5,858,191 times
Where in CT are you considering?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
New Haven County has HART, which is an organization that provides support for developmentally disabled - Down's Syndrome and similar types of disabilities. There are group homes and assisted-living style apartments, and lots of support groups for the disabled and their families. Also, New Haven is home to Yale University Hospital and Medical School. I don't know about any of the other areas with regards to this specific request. The Special Olympics was hosted in New Haven one year, if that helps at all. Basically it's a pretty supportive part of the state. Plus it has amazing architecture and the entire state has an awesome history.

Trivial fact: You know how some people say "Where in the Sam Hill am I?" when they're lost? (Ok maybe just your great-grandfather says it but still...)..

Legend says, some military guy named Sam Hill (civil war maybe?) came through the state, and was checking out the terrain with his troops, and got lost in East Haven. And that's where the phrase came from.

You'll find houses and other buildings that are over 200 years old, and there are county fairs and rural dairy farms in spitting distance to suburban condo complexes and apple orchards, all of which are less than 20 minutes from the city of New Haven and an easy hour and change from NYC. Also, the Interstate I-91 starts in New Haven and ascends northward through Hartford into Massachussettes and points north, and crosses I-95, so it's easy access to pretty much everywhere in New England and NY State.

It's a pretty typical New England landscape but it has its own flavor.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:15 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,188,275 times
Where are you looking to live? Where will your job be? What is your price range?

SW Connecticut (Fairfield COunty) is most expensive. East of the river tends to run cheaper.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 AM

484 posts, read 1,365,610 times
What's your price range? Are you looking to rent or buy?

Old 05-08-2010, 06:29 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,264,474 times
It's nice here. You'd like it. 4 seasons like NY, mostly educated people, overall good schools. 2 hrs to Boston and NYC from center of state. Housing cheaper than LI, much more expensive than upstate NY. Less trouble with traffic than LI. There are jobs working with disabled, group homes, etc.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 AM

108 posts, read 234,324 times
I've always though that comment was interesting....about the Northeast..."more educated people". Yup, but sometimes well educated people can be pretty ignorant too. My parents are not "well educated" but did VERY well for themselves, sometimes hard work is just as good as all those degrees, certificates, etc. Common sense works just as good for some people.

Kimi, I just moved to Connecticut so I don't know ALL of the resources available for people with disabilities, but check out this website,

Resource Locator

It is a website geared towards people with disabilities to help them connect to the right agency (Bureau of Rehab services, Dept of Labor, etc.). You may do a quick search to look for resources in the areas of interest to you. This might lead you to something more concrete. Also, Hart, in New haven is a good suggestion as well.

Good luck with your search. If I come across anything else, I will let you know.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:07 AM

8,833 posts, read 14,240,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It's nice here. You'd like it. 4 seasons like NY, mostly educated people, overall good schools. 2 hrs to Boston and NYC from center of state. Housing cheaper than LI, much more expensive than upstate NY. Less trouble with traffic than LI. There are jobs working with disabled, group homes, etc.
Also much less snow than Western NY, though more than LI (just a tiny bit more than LI along the Sound Shore though).

Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,531,104 times
It really depends on what part of the state you move to.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 AM

23 posts, read 50,779 times
I suggest looking into New Haven. It's a good place to live, and an easy commute to anywhere, really. Driving to and from places isn't difficult, three highways go through it (I-91, I-95, Merrit/Wilbur Cross Parkway), not to mention the train system (Metro North Railroad to New York for commutes, as well as Shore Line East service towards eastern CT, and Amtrak service Boston-Washington + Springfield).

Try New Haven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut