U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,325 times

Advertisements

Greetings...

Looking to relocate as close to Queens as possible while still staying in CT. I'm married with 1 child in elementary school. I saw a rental online in Greenwich near Bruce Park Ave and Mason Street. Does anyone know what this area is like and the school zoning? Also saw a rental on Mason and Lexington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:07 PM

24,774 posts, read 40,387,139 times
I don't think there is any part of Greenwich that could be considered "bad". Greenwich is an upscale suburban community and is often considered to be one of the most desirable towns in the country. The only thing is that there really may be places that are less desirable like a house thatis on a really busy street or backs up to a gas station. All of the schools there are excellent. Check the links below for information on the schools. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 05-06-2010, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't think there is any part of Greenwich that could be considered "bad". Greenwich is an upscale suburban community and is often considered to be one of the most desirable towns in the country. The only thing is that there really may be places that are less desirable like a house thatis on a really busy street or backs up to a gas station. All of the schools there are excellent. Check the links below for information on the schools. Jay

[URL="http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/der/ssp/dist0708/district.htm"]Strategic School Profiles by District[/URL]

[URL="http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/der/ssp/SCH0708/SCHOOL.HTM"]Strategic School Profiles by School[/URL]
I hear you about there being any "bad", areas. Less desirable would be a better term. Also concerned if people would look down on us because of "where", we lived in Greenwich (especially my child at school).

I thought I had heard there was an area that was designated as "affordable housing"? I realize affordable housing in Greenwich (if it exists), would not be the same as affordable housing in Bridgeport (safety-wise), but I guess I'm also concerned if living in or close to it, would carry the same stigma for many Greenwich residents?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:28 PM

15,813 posts, read 22,118,677 times
Quote:
I don't think there is any part of Greenwich that could be considered "bad".
Exactly. While there are a few housing projects, they are full of working class people. I guess that would be "bad" in Greenwich.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,828,882 times
You're asking about one of the ritziest towns in the entire country. The majority of the snootiest of the snooty and their kids wouldn't hang out with you anyway. Their kids are in private school or in Sweden somewhere at prep school, and if you're lucky, they'll let you go bowling with their gardner.

In short: if you care that much about what the "haves" will think about your family living with "normal people," then I suggest you might have more important issues to resolve before you move anywhere.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 PM

15,813 posts, read 22,118,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
...and if you're lucky, they'll let you go bowling with their gardner.
That gave me a laugh.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:49 AM

24,774 posts, read 40,387,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're asking about one of the ritziest towns in the entire country. The majority of the snootiest of the snooty and their kids wouldn't hang out with you anyway. Their kids are in private school or in Sweden somewhere at prep school, and if you're lucky, they'll let you go bowling with their gardner.

In short: if you care that much about what the "haves" will think about your family living with "normal people," then I suggest you might have more important issues to resolve before you move anywhere.
While your quip about bowling is amusing, I do not agree with it or the rest of your post. Greenwich is a pretty large town (almost 60,000 residents). There are all types of people in town from the super-wealthy to modest working class people. I know people from Greenwich that are very nice and very middle class. I also know some very wealthy people there (super wealthy actually) and they too were surprisingly down to earth.

As for the projects in Greenwich, it is nothing like an inner city housing project. It is more of a middle or working class community where many people start out before moving up. I would not worry about it. Jay

Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,253,373 times
Quote:
I also know some very wealthy people there (super wealthy actually) and they too were surprisingly down to earth.
Ditto. One of my clients moved to Greenwich and purchased during 2006 prices.

Total down to earth guy who drove an older pickup, jeans and flannel. Real down to earth family guy. I remember him getting all excited because he scored a used hardtop for his Lotus Elise off Ebay even though it was the wrong color. lol

I've told this story before...While talking one day he casually mentioned purchasing a controlling intrest in a company I know at the time was worth 58 million dollars as part of his portfolio. *COUGH* I knew he had money, but I didn't know it was like THAT.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,239 times
Hi, actually there are no "bad" areas in Greenwich, just some that might be older neighborhoods and maybe not as spiffy and up to date as others. The Mason Street area is lovely, you can't go wrong there or Lexington either. The schools in Greenwich are very good. I don't have to tell you the cost of living there is atrocious though, do I? But if you can afford to look, guess you can afford to live there. The Bruce Park area is a very nice neighborhood, close to the park and the water. You can't go wrong in any of the areas you mentioned. I've lived in Greenwich from many years and it is a lovely area to bring up a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or