Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:08 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
well apparently we would need more info from the OP before jumping to conclusions.
I didn't realize that giving my inspection experiences to the OP (who is admittedly unfamiliar with the whole process) was "jumping to conclusions".

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
My guess is that the lack of buyers (ie less competition with the pool of buyers deeply exhausted) will more than offset the loss of the credit. Of course, YMMV...

EDIT: My real point to the OP is that both seller and buyer have something to lose AND the negotiating position is by no means skewed to the seller's favor as KidYankee implied given the expiration of the tax credit.
You bring up a very good point about the tax credit. I'd be interested to see how much (if at all) the entry-level market slowed as of May 1.

That said, there are so many sellers out there who aren't willing to budge on price and negotiations. Lots of incredibly stubborn sellers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
[quote=kidyankee764;14077215]I didn't realize that giving my inspection experiences to the OP (who is admittedly unfamiliar with the whole process) was "jumping to conclusions".

"Lots of times the boiler will "work" but not produce enough hot water to take a decent shower, so the inspector will have to give it a pass. I know during my inspection, our water was lukewarm at best but it still got a pass. I think it's a fair expectation that when buying a house, hot water should come with it."

Sorry, I assumed when you said "lots of times" you were applying that to others situations. Or have you been through many home inspections where the boiler wasn't producing enough hot water? If you haven't then I would call that jumping to conclusions and since we are missing a bit of information from the OP I don't think telling him that "Lots of times the boiler will "work" but not produce enough hot water to take a decent shower" is particularly helpful. So sorry to have misunderstood.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
The whole arguement about the boiler is irrelevant on this thread, since the OP's concern is about his furnace, not his hot water heater. Two completely different animals.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:28 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
My water heater is 35 yrs old & My furnice is 45 yrs old & they both still work good.
And about as efficient as the federal government. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The whole arguement about the boiler is irrelevant on this thread, since the OP's concern is about his furnace, not his hot water heater. Two completely different animals.
No offense, but contrary to what you *THINK*, indirect oil fired hot water is a LOT more common in CT than you probably realize. In short, many furnaces have a "hot water coil" that produces hot water through the boiler. (Furnace)

Old 05-07-2010, 06:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Again, it's irrelevant. The OP said that the inspector had issues with the oil furnace. Not "the hot water coil that produces hot water through the boiler," or the "indirect oil fired hot water device." He specified - the oil furnace. That isn't what I think. It's what the OP said.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Sorry, I assumed when you said "lots of times" you were applying that to others situations. Or have you been through many home inspections where the boiler wasn't producing enough hot water?
I've been through three home inspections including my current home. Two had issues with the boiler (including our current house) and one inspection revealed a major issue with the roof. The home buying process isn't fun.

It's okay - we all misunderstand sometimes!

Old 05-08-2010, 03:59 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

It's okay - we all misunderstand sometimes!
clearly

Old 05-08-2010, 04:10 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
You can ask for whatever you want, but if the seller says no, you will need to take it or leave it. Most sellers would say they allowed for this in their asking price.
We are buying a 1986 house with a new roof, water heater and air conditioner, but the furnace is 24 years old. Our inspection showed up only some broken seals on thermopane windows which we asked to be replaced and the seller did. We did not even consider asking for a new furnace just because it might break in the future.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Again, it's irrelevant. The OP said that the inspector had issues with the oil furnace. Not "the hot water coil that produces hot water through the boiler," or the "indirect oil fired hot water device." He specified - the oil furnace. That isn't what I think. It's what the OP said.
It's all contained inside the furnace. The furnace still fires up and the boiler (The thing that heats your home) that is what heats the water for your tap. If the furnace is bad, you dont' haver hot water. They are one in the same. It's that simple.

It's obvious you dont know how these things work, so how about you stop trying to be snarky and just accept it.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:23 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
You both don't want to lose the deal. You, because you will lose the 8K credit. Him, because the tax credit sucked all the people who were planning to buy into the market, and every one of them tried to go to contract before 4/30. I strongly believe that the market is going to die until next spring, and the seller and his realtor know that. So, did he reveal that the furnace was 25 yrs old on the disclosures? Then you should have known at the time of price negotiation that a new furnace was needed. That being said, I agree that you should have him pay for an eval by a furnace repair person, then ask for a credit for all that is recommended, even if replacement is recommended, then agree to split the cost, if necessary. Unless, of course, it was fully disclosed that the furnace was old and in need of repairs, and stated that price reflected the old furnace. You have some leverage here - he doesn't want to lose you as a buyer. He's not gonna get another one that fast, what with the tax credit having expired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut