U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:10 PM

79 posts, read 174,813 times

Advertisements

Shame on you, Fairfield. What fools.

With the growing Indian population in FFC, hopefully this situation will improve in the next few years.

You guys might want to consider the diversity of Stamford, where there is a burgeoning Indian population and culture, including some of the best Indian food in Ct. And with the intellectual stimulus that population is bringing to the schools, Stamford educational levels are on the rise.

The citys financial institutions offer terrific employment opportunities for top notch people -- with no bias. Asians and Indians abound and are welcome.

Last edited by lgorfain; 03-07-2011 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM

673 posts, read 1,236,438 times
Lower FFC towns have always been predominantly white and sadly discrimination is something you'll have to encounter once in a while.

Probably only Stamford and Norwalk have the kind of ethnic diversity that limits race discrimination but unfortunately there are no good public schools there.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:39 PM

43 posts, read 52,717 times
Thanks Igorfain and Konig1985.

@Igofain - I guess the issue I am trying to deal with is not exactly the kind that will get too much response. We are used to being active members of the community and it is hard to break from a lifelong habit. We are definitely looking at options after this academic year is over. But sadly the choices are very limited.

@konig - schools are the reason why we chose to live in this part of Ffld county.Now we are dealing with the rider that came with it, which we failed to check for earlier (would it have been possible to foresee this?)

In our travels worldwide so far, we were merely tourists and had very different experiences from the present. Hope we get through this posting here without damage to the kids, who so far have had no idea whatsoever of any kind of discrimination, leave alone having to think of dealing with it.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:19 PM

24,679 posts, read 40,267,999 times
b2f10 - You have only been in Fairfield a few months. Give it time. I am not sure what you expected but meeting people and getting to know them and for them to know you takes time. Keep going out there and meeting people. You will find people you like and make firends as will your child. Fairfield is a great and friendly town with a wide range of people to meet. I am not sure where you are in town but I am sure you will settle in soon. Jay

Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2f10 View Post
Thanks Igorfain and Konig1985.

@Igofain - I guess the issue I am trying to deal with is not exactly the kind that will get too much response. We are used to being active members of the community and it is hard to break from a lifelong habit. We are definitely looking at options after this academic year is over. But sadly the choices are very limited.

@konig - schools are the reason why we chose to live in this part of Ffld county.Now we are dealing with the rider that came with it, which we failed to check for earlier (would it have been possible to foresee this?)

In our travels worldwide so far, we were merely tourists and had very different experiences from the present. Hope we get through this posting here without damage to the kids, who so far have had no idea whatsoever of any kind of discrimination, leave alone having to think of dealing with it.
One way to avoid this is finding rentals through friends. Actually I do sympathize with the landlords as well. When landlords rent, they are taking a risk that their house will be returned in proper condition. When landlords are not comfortable with the risk of not understanding how your culture will take care of a rental property, they refuse to rent. It is not really racial discrimination and I can understand why they are uncomfortable. One time, I was ready to view a house with my agent until we get a last minute call to delay our visit. When we visited there was a strong korean food smell lingering in the whole house. Therefore it is very important to have landlord referral ready to let your new landlords price their risk accurately.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:59 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,289,129 times
B2f10,

A few things that may help:

Culturally, people in town are pretty reserved. Not just to outsiders but to each other until a strong bond begins to form. It's tough to get to know people here but in the end I believe its' worth it.

And just for reassurance, the playdate thing happens to every family as I hear this complaint a lot from newcomers. Failed plans early on leave many families a bitter taste for the process. Generally from a young age (again depending on the area) children are expected to form their own plans, usually with children nearby. Today driving up to my parents house I saw no less than 8-10 kids playing in the street. Ranging from ages 4 to 16 and varying ethnic backgrounds (reminds me of when I was growing up ..::tear::..). In school, meeting others that they get along with is easier down the line but shouldn't take long even then.

Welcome to the area, and best of luck!

~Cheers

Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,735,026 times
Quote:
Hi, the many posts on moving to FFC are very detailed and useful. But I did not find any answering my query, so here goes -

We are from India and my husband is planning to take up a job in Fairfield for the next couple of years. I would be a stay-at-home mom to our 2 kids aged 7.5 and 2.5.

We are looking at renting close to their school/s in a friendly neighbourhood. We presently live in a place that sounds pretty close to what I have seen the posts here describe the County as -conservative, family-focussed, wealthy, reserved etc . We now need to find not necessarily a very ethnically diverse neighbourhood, but a peaceful and friendly one, that is close to shopping areas as well.

Fairfield, New Canaan, Westport, Redding, Darien seem to be the top few places for good elementary schools. Keeping in mind our situation, it would be great to receive any intel/suggestions. As would any info on the fair rent range for a 2 or 3 bedroom accomodation.

Thanks in advance.
Can I stop by for some food? I'll help plow your driveway in the winter

Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 AM

43 posts, read 52,717 times
@Konig1985 - Appreciate exactly how a landlord thinks while letting out - have let out our house back home when we had to move here. We decided to let our house to the family we did, after we met them and not just on the word of the agent. My question here is why would'nt the landlords even consider meeting us

Our present landlord and neighbours are more open and we have a great time in the immediate neighbourhood, though there aren't many children around. Most of my neighbours have been here for decades, if not born and brought up here. All through Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, we had very pleasant interactions. It is these people that so promptly gave me references when I decided to volunteer.

It definitely takes some time to warm up to new people. That is why, to make sure that my children get enough opportunities to meet people, we have consciously taken out them to new groups, classes etc.

We came here with an open mind and to take things as they come. That is why it feels bad to be judged upfront.

@Antlered Chamataka - Would you be accompanied by doob doob and kalia as well? No keechu meechu live here, I must warn you.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,735,026 times
Quote:
@Konig1985 - Appreciate exactly how a landlord thinks while letting out - have let out our house back home when we had to move here. We decided to let our house to the family we did, after we met them and not just on the word of the agent. My question here is why would'nt the landlords even consider meeting us

Our present landlord and neighbours are more open and we have a great time in the immediate neighbourhood, though there aren't many children around. Most of my neighbours have been here for decades, if not born and brought up here. All through Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, we had very pleasant interactions. It is these people that so promptly gave me references when I decided to volunteer.

It definitely takes some time to warm up to new people. That is why, to make sure that my children get enough opportunities to meet people, we have consciously taken out them to new groups, classes etc.

We came here with an open mind and to take things as they come. That is why it feels bad to be judged upfront.

@Antlered Chamataka - Would you be accompanied by doob doob and kalia as well? No keechu meechu live here, I must warn you.
Well spoken like a true native

Do let me know if you get into FCT and need help. Where are you coming from?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Not surprising. There are a bigger pool of caucasian renters than Asian renters anyway so why bother? Unless the asian renter is willing to up the premium I don't see why landlords will bother meeting you.

After you've established more network you realize it will be less of a issue over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or