U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 02:48 AM

43 posts, read 52,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Not surprising. There are a bigger pool of caucasian renters than Asian renters anyway so why bother? Unless the asian renter is willing to up the premium I don't see why landlords will bother meeting you.

After you've established more network you realize it will be less of a issue over time.
I probably would have taken things differently had we come here to settle down permanently. But that is not the case. The disappointment is because I thought we were coming into a very 'mature' state with people to match. I do not consider 'conservative','reserved' to be negative words. Is it a mistake to think 'civil' also went with them?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 AM

24,615 posts, read 40,185,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2f10 View Post
I got very useful info on this forum about our move to Ffld county. We relocated to CT sometime ago and have more or less settled now.

I am writing now to recount some unpleasant things while househunting in Fairfield. We were looking at renting through an agent then and liked a couple of houses in the Black Rock Turnpike area.

But when we wanted to sign the lease, within one week of each other, once the houseowners came to know about us, backed off. One of them asked my husband to produce a certificate from his company. The HR in my husband's company, one of the oldest in CT, very helpfully provided the document. Even after she got what she asked for, the landlady wasn't willing to sign.

We of course gave up pursuing the matter further and found another place immediately. But these incidents have a left very bitter tastes for us. I know that these people are not representative of the larger population, but it certainly has made us wary of things. Just wanted to says these out aloud.
It sounds to me like you went through an agent. Normally landlords that use an agent do not even meet the people renting in person. I never met the tenants when I used an agent. It really is not uncommon. Landlords judge who they rent to based on informaiton provided like job type, income, credit rating, etc. This may have been a case where they chose someone who appeared to be more financially stable. If you feel this was not the case then you should pursue it. Again I am sorry this was a bad experience but I do not think you should take it personally. Jay

Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,702,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2f10 View Post
Thanks Jay. With regard to the houses, we just had these couple of things to contend with and no more. What was shocking was, they didn't even want to meet us before they decided they way they did. We also consciously decided to not take it up further with them as we wanted to prioritize. School time was coming closer and we were busy hunting for a preschool for our younger son.

We also encountered some things not nice when we went furniture shopping. The store had a sale on and we could see a distinct difference in treatment from the other locals present there when we asked them questions. We of course had the option of taking our business elsewhere.

While I know perfectly well that it usually takes time to accept foreigners, I thought it would be a bit better when it came to educated and obviously well to do people, like the houseowners seemed to be.

Since the school year started, I am an active volunteer for the PTA; my husband takes a very active part, through his company in their community outreach projects, mainly education and housing; I volunteer at an NGO that is doing very good work for the past several decades; and in general take active interest in the community we happen to live at the time. My neighbours gave me excellent references for my volunteering.

But my only concern is what my children will have to encounter, as they grow up here in the next few years. Though my older son invited all his classmates to his birthday party, he doesn't get too many invites from the class. Ditto with playdates. He only has them when I pursue the matter and manage to make them for him and not otherwise.

Sometimes I wonder whether the value of an 'international exposure' is worth it for the price that is paid for it. Are things headed in the direction of more and more 'difficult'?
Oooohhh, I didn't read the whole thread until now. I thought you were just moving into CT. In fact, I do see you have revived your old thread.

I'm sorry about this treatment you encountered, but I doubt it happens everywhere.

I pretty much have had immense success infiltrating black and white circles in America, given that this demographic is the top two in the majority of this country. They're nice to even my mom and she is presently in CT for a visit.

I don't know if I will be encountering problems when I have children down the road, coz schools could be a different ball game.

But as the saying goes, like my Pappy used to say all the time, when you get all the money in the world, there is no racial difference or class, everyone sucks on to your big power teat. It's been indoctrinated into my mind since.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,702,156 times
There was only ONE incident where an old lady refused to shake mom's hands in the mass, during the peace. But as upsetting as it is, that was in Colorado

Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 PM

105 posts, read 171,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
There was only ONE incident where an old lady refused to shake mom's hands in the mass, during the peace. But as upsetting as it is, that was in Colorado
May be she is germophobic. Just saying.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 AM

15,743 posts, read 22,015,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
May be she is germophobic. Just saying.
That's what I was thinking too. I know a lot of people who refuse to shake hands during mass, especially during flu season.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Oooohhh, I didn't read the whole thread until now. I thought you were just moving into CT. In fact, I do see you have revived your old thread.

I'm sorry about this treatment you encountered, but I doubt it happens everywhere.

I pretty much have had immense success infiltrating black and white circles in America, given that this demographic is the top two in the majority of this country. They're nice to even my mom and she is presently in CT for a visit.

I don't know if I will be encountering problems when I have children down the road, coz schools could be a different ball game.

But as the saying goes, like my Pappy used to say all the time, when you get all the money in the world, there is no racial difference or class, everyone sucks on to your big power teat. It's been indoctrinated into my mind since.
AC - You are right on about when you think you might start looking at things in a different way. Though sadly Uncle Pai is no more, there are enough books created by him to keep your children entertained and educated, effortlessly.

So far we have tried to make the best of the resources available here to create a home and routine as near as possible to the one we came from. Only exceptions being we don't own a house here and do miss the extended family of course. By the accident of birth and through work, we have had more than comfortable lives so far, both at home and here in the US. I think it is reasonable to want to build upon it further or atleast maintain it to ensure that the children benefit from it as much as we did or more.

We now live in an excellent neighbourhood with people who have lived in CT for several decades, if not born and raised here. It is these people who willingly gave me glowing and sincere references when I decided to volunteer. We wanted to pay back our immediate community for the great schools (my younger one absolutely loves his preschool). As regards paying in cash, whether one likes it or not there are the taxes of course

Having seen posts on this thread and others, I am quite happy to see that for every unreasonable post on this forum, there are several well intentioned folks out there to compensate. Guess there is no harm in giving the benefit of the doubt to things and people for some more time and make the most of our short stay here.

It sure feels good to vent it out and get on with life.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It sounds to me like you went through an agent. Normally landlords that use an agent do not even meet the people renting in person. I never met the tenants when I used an agent. It really is not uncommon. Landlords judge who they rent to based on informaiton provided like job type, income, credit rating, etc. This may have been a case where they chose someone who appeared to be more financially stable. If you feel this was not the case then you should pursue it. Again I am sorry this was a bad experience but I do not think you should take it personally. Jay
Yes, we went through an agent, whose services were provided to us by my husband's company. He is a pretty senior employee of the company for the past several years and so there was no issue with stability etc as the company's letter of reference was quite categorical.

Our agent checked with us whether we wanted to pursue the matter with the landlady as I believe the property was still on the market. But like I said before we didn't want to do that and decided to go with one of the other houses the agent showed us.

Ultimately, I agree that it can also be seen as just a matter of taking business elsewhere. After all there wasn't so much in it that one felt inspired to go to great lengths to get it. It wouldn't have been wise to pay money and get hostility for it.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM

673 posts, read 1,234,510 times
You should count yourself lucky that you are renting in USA and legal tools are at your disposal.

We had a rental property in Singapore and demographics of Singapore is majority Chinese. There is very open discrimination against Indian renters not because of racial, but because the hot humid weather seem to elicit a weird smell from certain Indian origins that can stick to sofas and beds.....

So in a country that pride itself as multi-cultural and tolerant of other cultures, they still have blatant advertisements such as this:

Only 3.7K! 3+1 @ Marine View Condo! FF W AC! Nice! Immediate! - Singapore apartments, condos, units & houses for rent - Gumtree Singapore

You can sue them but you won't win.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
You should count yourself lucky that you are renting in USA and legal tools are at your disposal.

We had a rental property in Singapore and demographics of Singapore is majority Chinese. There is very open discrimination against Indian renters not because of racial, but because the hot humid weather seem to elicit a weird smell from certain Indian origins that can stick to sofas and beds.....

So in a country that pride itself as multi-cultural and tolerant of other cultures, they still have blatant advertisements such as this:

Only 3.7K! 3+1 @ Marine View Condo! FF W AC! Nice! Immediate! - Singapore apartments, condos, units & houses for rent - Gumtree Singapore

You can sue them but you won't win.
Hey, interesting info.

I am very aware of that - wouldn't have agreed to live in any other country save the US if I had to leave home at all - vacations excepted. Addicted too much to freedom of expression and large open spaces with a variety of terrain to drive around to even consider any other place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or