U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
 
43 posts, read 52,724 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Sorry forgot to mention endless series of elections. Got a break from having to vote since the relocation.

Back home, somehow, always felt obliged to cast my vote, though I wasn't too enthused about the choices.

 
Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,735,026 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
May be she is germophobic. Just saying.
She shook with others, she was in the seat right in front of us. You know how pews are situated in the church

But it doesn't bother me too much, for for the amount of people who behave this way there are twice the amount of others who are well-behaved. It was just that it had to happen to my mother, who has never been at the receiving end. Her ancestors are brahmins and they consider themselves direct descendants of Aryans, the real Aryans, so that's the touch of irony there Talk about getting your own dogfood.
 
Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,735,026 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
You should count yourself lucky that you are renting in USA and legal tools are at your disposal.

We had a rental property in Singapore and demographics of Singapore is majority Chinese. There is very open discrimination against Indian renters not because of racial, but because the hot humid weather seem to elicit a weird smell from certain Indian origins that can stick to sofas and beds.....

So in a country that pride itself as multi-cultural and tolerant of other cultures, they still have blatant advertisements such as this:

Only 3.7K! 3+1 @ Marine View Condo! FF W AC! Nice! Immediate! - Singapore apartments, condos, units & houses for rent - Gumtree Singapore

You can sue them but you won't win.
That's just baloney

It's true that personal hygiene ranks very low among many Indians. I for one would admit that attribute of desis, as opposed to using a race card. Time to own it up.

There's an easy fix. Invest in bath and body works, Listerine and regular taking care of yourself. Unfortunately, many Indians in the US make me shudder, given their explicit squalor, despite the fact that they make a ton of money So, it's not like they are poor and can't afford it. I take care of myself, and my Indian network of guys predominantly call me Bollywood, for all my antics. So, in their minds, taking care of oneself and being a male version of a coquette means "Bollywood", yikes. That speaks volumes for the fact as to how low profile they are.
 
Old 03-13-2011, 08:57 AM
 
5,065 posts, read 13,303,789 times
Reputation: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
There is very open discrimination against Indian renters not because of racial, but because the hot humid weather seem to elicit a weird smell from certain Indian origins that can stick to sofas and beds.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

It's true that personal hygiene ranks very low among many Indians. I for one would admit that attribute of desis, as opposed to using a race card. Time to own it up.

There's an easy fix. Invest in bath and body works, Listerine and regular taking care of yourself. Unfortunately, many Indians in the US make me shudder, given their explicit squalor, despite the fact that they make a ton of money
 
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,735,026 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Huh

Hey, I'm allowed to speak for my folks

Humans stink naturally. It's chemistry. That's why people sell these things in the shops to get rid of it all. I have almost become a listerine salesman, they should actually pay me royalty given the amount of people I have convinced to buy it and use it twice a day, coz it works for 12 hours only.

Let's face it, irrespective of race, if you have bad breath, you're the laughing stock of all and sundry. And many Indians have bad breath, this is part of our problem of growing up in a tropical country. And all it needs is brushing thrice a day and listerine mouthwash twice a day. Thanks to me, many of my friends have picked this habit. And they have only been thankful.

Coz it hurts me to go on the internet and see idiotic people spewing their gibber about how "indians smell like curry". Google it, it's all over the internet LMAO

So, rather than calling such ads and people racist, I'd seek to fix the underlying problem.
 
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 AM
 
5,065 posts, read 13,303,789 times
Reputation: 3507
We used to live next door to an Indian family, but I don't recall ever smelling them. However, the air DID usually smell like curry, and we hated to open our windows because the smell would get into our house. It seemed like the woman was always cooking, with curry. To this day I can't stand the taste or smell of curry.
 
Old 03-13-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,735,026 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
We used to live next door to an Indian family, but I don't recall ever smelling them. However, the air DID usually smell like curry, and we hated to open our windows because the smell would get into our house. It seemed like the woman was always cooking, with curry. To this day I can't stand the taste or smell of curry.
Some people in their natural mind and self can't like curry. It's like every other food. I can't stand the smell of beef and pork, not only is it unclean meat, it also stinks. Curry was actually invented to get rid of that stench in the meat. So, I'd rather my house smell like curry than raw beef But that's no excuse to let the stench stay in the house. A house needs smell absorbers, room freshners and all kinds of equipment. It's money and investment again and I can bet both cheeks of my buns that our folks will not invest in anything so "trivial" and useless. But if they only knew how much it troubles the neighbours.

Back home, in India, our folks cook such stuff in the open air, back in our garden and the immense heat of the sun smokes this scent away in a matter of minutes, they blend well with the scent radiating from the trees and plants. Unfortunately, here in America, the residential areas are not built for outdoor cooking neither hardcore indoor cooking. You can get away with microwaving, and if anything, it needs a serious kitchen with enough vent fans and the like. It's simply not a possibility.

Mommy is making curry now, once a week, yum. For all my 1600 calories a day diet right until she landed, everything has gone haywire and I might actually be gaining some weight presently But I bet you won't come within a 2 mile block radius of my living area LMAO, though I make sure smell doesn't get out. Even if it does, the neighbours only want their share of curry. The next door couple comes over from time to time to eat food. Coz I guess the smell still goes out a bit, coz it's impossible to quell it completely. But it's not too bad, compared to other places of guys I know in Norwalk. I can literally smell their kitchen from the parking lot

At least, curry cooking is not frequent in my place, while it's the daily staple in a majority of households (I don't know how many Indians survive on Campbell soups alone ), which is why it can be a notorious problem.
 
Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 AM
 
43 posts, read 52,724 times
Reputation: 14
@Antlered Chamataka - I know exactly what you mean about the incident in the Church. Being one myself, can follow the brahmin remark. But we know it is an aberration, though it does not feel good when one is at the receiving end.

The problem with talking about Indians in general is their sheer diversity - in looks, habits, grooming, ability to adapt. Even back home, the way one would be received in say, Kerala(south) would be very different from what it would be in Meghalaya(east) or Gujarat(west) or by the Punjus(north). Have experienced it.

I remember this sardarni (a Sikh lady from Punjab) forcing aloo parathas doused with ghee, accompanied with thick curd, on me, questioning quite forcefully the food I ate and how I survived on it (am from the South). No talk about body type and good health were enough for her. The general community 'mela' atmosphere of Ahmedabad, Delhi is another facet. Then, there were people in the Northeast (India) who were pretty mild and kept to themselves. Too many kinds to write about all

I've heard nutmeggers meeting people from one part of India and how they heard everything about their history, customs etc, and tried to use this information on the next set of Indians they happened to meet. They were so shocked that it did not work at all for them because the new set looked like and told them entirely different things

It is also true that till about quite some time ago, predominantly few distinct classes of Indians used to emigrate - those who had very little means at home and wanted to make it big in a foreign land, businessmen, those who were invited by foreign governments/companies to work for them, and students who pursued 'foreign' degrees.

Now, the people of the first and last descriptions always have had limited means to live well, unless they made a specific effort. The habit probably also spilled over for quite long even after they started earning. Most of them wanted to save money to send back home to their families.

But, if they are not considered clean outside their country, they are not considered that even at home. That's one of the reasons why landlords, atleast in the city I come from insist on meeting their prospective tenants before they sign papers. While it is impossible to absolutely assure them of what is in store for their property from the tenants, it certainly gives them pointers in a face to face meeting.
 
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 AM
 
43 posts, read 52,724 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Some people in their natural mind and self can't like curry. It's like every other food. I can't stand the smell of beef and pork, not only is it unclean meat, it also stinks. Curry was actually invented to get rid of that stench in the meat. So, I'd rather my house smell like curry than raw beef But that's no excuse to let the stench stay in the house. A house needs smell absorbers, room freshners and all kinds of equipment. It's money and investment again and I can bet both cheeks of my buns that our folks will not invest in anything so "trivial" and useless. But if they only knew how much it troubles the neighbours.

Back home, in India, our folks cook such stuff in the open air, back in our garden and the immense heat of the sun smokes this scent away in a matter of minutes, they blend well with the scent radiating from the trees and plants. Unfortunately, here in America, the residential areas are not built for outdoor cooking neither hardcore indoor cooking. You can get away with microwaving, and if anything, it needs a serious kitchen with enough vent fans and the like. It's simply not a possibility.

Mommy is making curry now, once a week, yum. For all my 1600 calories a day diet right until she landed, everything has gone haywire and I might actually be gaining some weight presently But I bet you won't come within a 2 mile block radius of my living area LMAO, though I make sure smell doesn't get out. Even if it does, the neighbours only want their share of curry. The next door couple comes over from time to time to eat food. Coz I guess the smell still goes out a bit, coz it's impossible to quell it completely. But it's not too bad, compared to other places of guys I know in Norwalk. I can literally smell their kitchen from the parking lot

At least, curry cooking is not frequent in my place, while it's the daily staple in a majority of households (I don't know how many Indians survive on Campbell soups alone ), which is why it can be a notorious problem.
This is what the tons of money can remedy I guess - building kitchens to suit the cooking
 
Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM
 
105 posts, read 171,364 times
Reputation: 188
I hate it when some Indians carry the smell of curry to workplace. If only they would not cook wearing the same clothes they wear to work. During winters, the jackets we wear carry all the kitchen smell. I always make it a point never to keep my coat near the kitchen. We cook very strong ethnic food at our home and certainly I don't want my co-workers to guess what I had for dinner the previous night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top