Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:32 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,847 times

Advertisements

I wonder whats with the fancy preventive measures suggested. Just get a >600cfm exhaust fan and problem solved!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:02 PM

43 posts, read 63,945 times
Good to hear from so many observant, knowledgeable and self critical desis (purely for want of a better simple word) and others((?)-sans self critical). Have'nt been in the midst of so much discussion on Indian cooking since landing here. Never with my neighbours. Guess my vegetarian cooking, though done with spices is not of the 'outstanding' variety, odourwise.

AC, frankness is not universal at home. PC abounds most of the time, atleast where I come from. I think you must have come across an especially forceful specimen.

I quite enjoy the differences from home as it would be boring otherwise. Though I must say for me the differences are mainly the climate and good roads, more than anything else. Have been to 5 states in the US and driven around quite a bit in most of them. Catskills were a treat to be in. So far CT feels the closest to home, though folks in CA would aver otherwise.

Like andthentherewere3 said, have loved keeping the windows open all day during last week. The seasons are so distinct in CT! Summer was part hot/part pleasant and Fall was beautiful. Snow wasn't bad either, as we didn't need to go out much - grocery store within walking distance, no schools and work-from-home option. Though this year is supposedly one of the worst as regards snowfall, having never lived in the midst of snow except as tourists, for us our first snow season is what we will compare everything against.

I am sure you will like it here in CT, purplesque, especially if you decide on living in one of the towns/cities in the southwest region. Welcome.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 AM

142 posts, read 269,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2f10 View Post
Like andthentherewere3 said, have loved keeping the windows open all day during last week. The seasons are so distinct in CT! Summer was part hot/part pleasant and Fall was beautiful. Snow wasn't bad either, as we didn't need to go out much - grocery store within walking distance, no schools and work-from-home option. Though this year is supposedly one of the worst as regards snowfall, having never lived in the midst of snow except as tourists, for us our first snow season is what we will compare everything against.

I am sure you will like it here in CT, purplesque, especially if you decide on living in one of the towns/cities in the southwest region. Welcome.
Distinct seasons are good!

Thanks, b2f10. We're moving to the New Haven neighborhood and will probably end up living in Hamden/Milford/Woodbridge area. We're both excited about our new jobs.

If you're ever in the Middletown area, try the Udupi Bhavan if you like S Indian food- it reminded me of Saravana Bhavan.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:21 PM

Milford area has plenty of shops though haven't yet looked at the residential areas there. Orange is nice. Will check out Udupi Bhavan.

You also have Coromandel in Milford. It is an okay place. Their appetisers are good and are served with yummy chutney dips. Not a great fan of their other fare (only talking about veg.) Kolam in Newtown seems to be pretty popular among the locals though haven't been there yet.

The thin crust pizzas at Colony Grill, Fairfield are good. Fairfield has plenty of good restaurants - Barcelona, Barcelona, some Hibachi places .. still discovering.

Have heard good things about this dosa cart at Washington Square Park in Manhattan. Wonder if anyone here has visited it.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 PM

142 posts, read 269,127 times
Oo..thanks for the food recs! We're big foodies; always looking for new vegetarian options. We ate at a bunch of places in New Haven, but have been saving the pizza for the last.

We ate at the dosa cart! While pretty good, I think the hype is more because its a bit of an exception. The Saravana Bhavan on Lexington Ave, though..Oh God. Like being back in Connaught Place.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:41 PM

oops - typo - wanted to write "Bangalore, Barcelona..." and not as it came out. Forgot to mention Marisa's in Trumbull - good vibe.

Methinks your comment about the dosa cart holds true for most restaurants serving Indian cuisine.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I keep seeing posts referring to spice smells in "American" homes on this thread. Previously I stated we once lived next door to an Indian family, and there was frequently the smell of curry in the air that would get into our house---we actually lived in England, not the U.S., had hardwood floors like many also do in the U.S., etc. So it's not an issue specific to the U.S. Just curious, what are kitchens like in India? Do you typically have "industrial-strength exhaust fans"? Surely not everyone cooks outside, and don't you have nearby neighbors in your cities?
In the house where I grew up, I had to cross some coconut trees, then a thick compound and more crotons/garden plants before getting to the neighbour

Compare that to my situation here, I drill a little hole in my wall and can actually get to see the next place's living room or worse, something else

Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesque View Post
Oo..thanks for the food recs! We're big foodies; always looking for new vegetarian options.
As for grocery stores, Bharat Bazaar on Boston Post Road in Milford should meet most of your needs. You also have TJs and Whole Foods closeby. There is another store - Indus in Bridgeport, but it is very cramped. There is virtually no parking unlike Bharat Bazaar.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
In the house where I grew up, I had to cross some coconut trees, then a thick compound and more crotons/garden plants before getting to the neighbour

Compare that to my situation here, I drill a little hole in my wall and can actually get to see the next place's living room or worse, something else
Urban living

Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2f10 View Post
Good to hear from so many observant, knowledgeable and self critical desis (purely for want of a better simple word) and others((?)-sans self critical). Have'nt been in the midst of so much discussion on Indian cooking since landing here. Never with my neighbours. Guess my vegetarian cooking, though done with spices is not of the 'outstanding' variety, odourwise.

AC, frankness is not universal at home. PC abounds most of the time, atleast where I come from. I think you must have come across an especially forceful specimen.

I quite enjoy the differences from home as it would be boring otherwise. Though I must say for me the differences are mainly the climate and good roads, more than anything else. Have been to 5 states in the US and driven around quite a bit in most of them. Catskills were a treat to be in. So far CT feels the closest to home, though folks in CA would aver otherwise.

Are you from Bangalore?? I'm from Pondicherry and also worked in Madras in my youth. Tamils folks are more cutthroat

A simple bus trip through Madras is exhilarating

Anyway, at this point I am disillusioned with CT too. NC is the only state I love in America. I am simply putting up with CT becoz of the job situation and the fair commute to the city, and it's much better than Jersey or NY state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut