U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 AM

8,837 posts, read 14,272,315 times

Advertisements

What Jay said about Stamford is correct. Keep in mind that many of the Stamford trains make a lot of local stops in Westchester County on the way to NYC, whereas the trains east of Stamford (i.e. if you get on in Bridgeport, see below) usually run express after Stamford all the way to NYC.

Personally I would get on at Bridgeport. Unlike most of the smaller towns, there's no issue with being on a waiting list to get a daily parking permit (of course the tradeoff being that you pay daily for parking). The reason I wouldn't work off the Waterbury branch is that while you can time your commute in, timing your commute out may be tricky. The Waterbury branch runs limited trains and the last thing you want to do on an internship that could lead to a full time job is have to rush out because if you miss your train you're coming home 2 hours later. I'm sure you are going to find situations where you can't simply leave "on time" and it is going to be frustrating to have to be a couple of hours later just because you had to stay an extra 20-30 minutes from your normal leave time.

Being on the main New Haven line, the Bridgeport station won't have as many issues with that. The rush hour trains run frequently and even if you're really late at the office there'll be ample train options back. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 04:00 PM

7 posts, read 13,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
What Jay said about Stamford is correct. Keep in mind that many of the Stamford trains make a lot of local stops in Westchester County on the way to NYC, whereas the trains east of Stamford (i.e. if you get on in Bridgeport, see below) usually run express after Stamford all the way to NYC.

Personally I would get on at Bridgeport. Unlike most of the smaller towns, there's no issue with being on a waiting list to get a daily parking permit (of course the tradeoff being that you pay daily for parking). The reason I wouldn't work off the Waterbury branch is that while you can time your commute in, timing your commute out may be tricky. The Waterbury branch runs limited trains and the last thing you want to do on an internship that could lead to a full time job is have to rush out because if you miss your train you're coming home 2 hours later. I'm sure you are going to find situations where you can't simply leave "on time" and it is going to be frustrating to have to be a couple of hours later just because you had to stay an extra 20-30 minutes from your normal leave time.

Being on the main New Haven line, the Bridgeport station won't have as many issues with that. The rush hour trains run frequently and even if you're really late at the office there'll be ample train options back. Good luck!
Yes, i think its for this reason that i'll be leaving out of either Stratford or Bridgeport, depending on whether i can get parking in Stratford or not. Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:07 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,280,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle9518 View Post
Yes, i think its for this reason that i'll be leaving out of either Stratford or Bridgeport, depending on whether i can get parking in Stratford or not. Thanks for all the help.
It's $5/day for parking in Stratford:Stratford, Connecticut - Stratford Railroad Station

Old 05-09-2010, 07:01 PM

7 posts, read 13,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It's $5/day for parking in Stratford:Stratford, Connecticut - Stratford Railroad Station
Hmm, but it says those are only a limited number of spots, I'd imagine their gone pretty quickly in the morning? I'd most likely be arriving around 6:30am, not sure if thats considered early or late for the NYC commuting crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut