U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 01:35 PM

64,982 posts, read 47,284,481 times

Advertisements

You folks need to get a wood stove.

While you'll be kicking on the heat to get the chill out of the air...I'll be putting it on for an hour at 5pm. That'll get the house warm enough to last through tomorrow at this point.

FREEEEEE
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 PM

8,175 posts, read 14,249,488 times
Having a wood stove when there are toddlers around is a serious safety issue for me.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,195,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Having a wood stove when there are toddlers around is a serious safety issue for me.
Naahhh, you just have to set it up right and teach the kids. Mine won't go 6 feet near it.

Good Lord, how did we survive all these years without car seats, baby monitors, gates, drawer locks etc..

Old 05-12-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
That should be an issue at all... I know a 3 yr old who is terrified of flames and heat so he knows not to go near there....but for safety protection whenever I have kids coming over I put a baby gate in front of it. Done.

I have seen homes (my neighbor is one of them) where they have a 4 foot metal gate with lock in front of their stove.

Your kids are an expense, dont let them prevent you from saving money either. but maybe you dont need an extra $2000/yr in your pocket...

Then when they get old enough they'll help you split the wood.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 AM

2,081 posts, read 4,120,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post
I have seen homes (my neighbor is one of them) where they have a 4 foot metal gate with lock in front of their stove.

Yes, just like the rest of the house that needs to be "childproofed", they make gates to protect your child. However, just like a hot stove or a fire burning in the fireplace, children need to be taught the danger of the stove and not left unattended!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:46 PM

362 posts, read 678,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJohns View Post
Ive never owned a home before, and never had an oil furnace as heat source. I am moving to a home in Hamden, Connecticut, with older split system oil furnace. Home is only about 1200 sq ft.

Im curious as to the average monthly winter bill of heating your home. How can I get a good idea? I think its good to know a head of time, but im not sure how I can get a good idea if ive never had this type of system before.

Thanks

I remember having to pay for Oil in the City and it was weekly, like $100 for a week's worth of Oil, My God I hated that, and the whole place smelled like that dreaded Oil. it was an old house and the guy that owned it never maintained it. I did what I could but I can't clean the vents.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:56 AM

47 posts, read 129,487 times
I agree with Wavehunter. Great advice. NEVER Pre-pay for oil. Locking in a price is one thing, pre-paying is another. I think for a modest sized house $2000 is a good bet. I have 1700 sq feet, single story ranch, single pane windows, decent insulation and a woodstove that is only used in the evenings and on weekends and I've paid just under $1000. for oil and another $500 for 2 cords of wood that I'm only half through. The heat is set to 62 at night and when we're gone during the day and 65 to 68 when we are home. The water heater is electric so that doesn't come into play. If money is an issue start with the insulation and the programmable thermostat because they are relatively cheap to do yourself. If the windows are leaky that will cost some bucks. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainspotter View Post
I've paid just under $1000. for oil and another $500 for 2 cords of wood that I'm only half through.
I would have given you 2 cords for $400. Mixed Hardwoods.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:17 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,172,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainspotter View Post
I agree with Wavehunter. Great advice. NEVER Pre-pay for oil. Locking in a price is one thing, pre-paying is another. I think for a modest sized house $2000 is a good bet. I have 1700 sq feet, single story ranch, single pane windows, decent insulation and a woodstove that is only used in the evenings and on weekends and I've paid just under $1000. for oil and another $500 for 2 cords of wood that I'm only half through. The heat is set to 62 at night and when we're gone during the day and 65 to 68 when we are home. The water heater is electric so that doesn't come into play. If money is an issue start with the insulation and the programmable thermostat because they are relatively cheap to do yourself. If the windows are leaky that will cost some bucks. Good luck.
Wow, 500 for two cords is alot! Do you line in FF county? I'm paying 160/cord for red oak in my neck of the woods-Eastern CT.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 4,117 times
I have a 1700 sq ft house thats 4 zoned meaning you can turn off the heat in that zone which I highly reccomend with the outrageous oil prices these days. I use 100 gallons a month I have cathedral cielings in 1/2 of the area I heat. I usually only have 1 zone on at a time. This feb I had to order 300 gallons for the first time since I've lived here over a 15 year period! usually Feb is a 200 gallon month but because the temps were so cold for so long more heat needed. I keep my heat at 65 -68 at night and 60-62 in the day time. I just bundle up in two pairs of warm sweat pants/shirts. I also usually have a portable oil filled heater on 1/2 level of heat all day- never leave those on while you sleep or when you're not home. I would get an electric heated house next time as I have run into a few life threatening problems with oil! 1st was when a burner malfuntioned and we almost died from carbon monoxide fumes this was before carbon monoxide detectors were made. 2nd was an oil delivery person wasn't paying attention and overfilled our tank which imploded it and spewed 300 gallons of oil all over the cellar which took 6 months to clean up and we could not live in the house the whole 6 months! Gas is even more dangerous in my opinion. Electric heat IS more expensive but peace of mind is worth something too. I would get a house that had solar ennergy WITH electric heat ideally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or