U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
All of the above towns are very good. The only other nearby city to New London is Norwich. While it is within your 20 minute commute, I would not suggest it. You should also consider the Pawcatuck/Westerly, R.I. area. This is within the 20 minute commute you are looking for.
Why wouldn't you suggest Norwich? I have lived in Norwich for 17 or my 19 years and I don't see what the problem with it is. I'm not looking to start any kind of fight or anything, I honestly wanted to know why you wouldn't suggest Norwich. I guess I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM

181 posts, read 477,727 times
I personally wouldn't recommend Norwich because the neighborhoods are so "hit-or-miss". The fact that you will have really nice places, and really bad places comingled in pretty much every neighborhood makes it tough to recommend anything in particular. That being said, I also wouldn't recommend that somebody not live there either. Like I said two sentences ago, there are quite a few nice places in Norwich.

I'm not sure what Meglion meant by being able to find community nearer to New York, and that Stonington doesn't have much of one, but I've found much of the opposite. It seems to me that the closer you get to New York the more people identify with New York and form fast-paced, fragmented communities, while here on the eastern part of the state we are too far from any major metro to really identify with them, so we form tighter communities. Stonington has a very nice laid-back, small community feel. Maybe it's not the community that some people are looking for, but it is definitely a great community.

PS. It's great to see more questions about SECT.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,784 times
Mystic yes-- Niantic---ok- East Lyme- not really..... Some of the best area out there is in Lyme or Old Lyme...you have great beach areas, great lake areas, hiking in the woods, acres and acres of unspoiled land....it is gorgeous.....Good Luck in your search...and of course those are just my opinions.....(Have lived in both Southeaster and Fairfield county areas....which is too far for your commute!! lol)

Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 13,253 times
i would not reccomend norwich because its boring as hell

Old 06-29-2010, 05:02 PM

11,037 posts, read 13,379,959 times
I agree with other posters that East Lyme / Niantic would be the best option. I had a beach house in Niantic and there's a lot to do down there, and it's a safe town. There's plenty of mall shopping and plazas in Waterford, which is nearby, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut