U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 20,151 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband are looking for a house in Fairfield [town] and few other towns in the area, and we are very puzzled with the sump pumps that everybody has in their basements ....why is that ? What areas in Fairfield [town] do flood ? THANKS !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 PM

15,739 posts, read 21,986,671 times
From what I've heard on the boards, lots of older homes have sump pumps even when there was no flooding. I guess it was the thing to do back when they were built.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 AM

262 posts, read 518,817 times
I think wet basements are pretty common throughout the state. Older houses are more prone to this. From what I understand, it's not so much flooding as it is external water pressure building up over time and finding a way into the walls.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:21 PM

It seems like most of the houses in the beach and sturges area are in the flood zone,is it the weather,or a river?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM

86 posts, read 214,791 times
Parts of the beach area are in flood zones. We don't live near the beach but we installed a sump pump (after experiencing a flooded basement) within a year of moving into our house. Since installing, we haven't had one problem. The best investment we ever made in our house.

I can't comment on if older homes are more prone to flooding or not, but I do know of a new construction home which did have a flooded basement. Fyi, our home is from 1900.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM

24,568 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Many older homes were constrcuted without drain pipes around their foundations to draw water away from the basement. Some that did have them had pipes made of clay which breaks easily so the pipes are not working properly anymore. Installing these pipes after the foundation is built is very expensive so the cheapest and most effective way to correct the problem is to install a sump pump.

Much of the Beach area of Fairfield is in a flood zone but there has not been a significant flood in years. I am not sure about the Sturges Park area but because it is along the river, I will assume poritons do flood too. You can probably get more information from the town on this. Jay

Old 05-12-2010, 08:28 PM

thanks for all the info ,I will def go to the town soon....

Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 AM

2,081 posts, read 4,120,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post

Me and my husband are looking for a house in Fairfield [town] and few other towns in the area, and we are very puzzled with the sump pumps that everybody has in their basements ....why is that ? What areas in Fairfield [town] do flood ? THANKS !!!!!
I would never buy a house with a sump pump. If you do, make sure you have a back-up generator for when the power goes out.

My friend has a sump pump and when they lost power the water drained into their basement...it was a mess. They now have a generator....
And if you travel a lot, you don't want to have to worry who will run the generator if you aren't home.

Personally, I wouldn't want the headache.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 PM

64,972 posts, read 47,284,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I would never buy a house with a sump pump. If you do, make sure you have a back-up generator for when the power goes out.

My friend has a sump pump and when they lost power the water drained into their basement...it was a mess. They now have a generator....
And if you travel a lot, you don't want to have to worry who will run the generator if you aren't home.

Personally, I wouldn't want the headache.
Wanna laugh? I worked on a house in Scarsdale, NY and I didnt understand why there was constant water dripping into the pit in the basement...There were 3 pits in different parts of basement....but wait......1 pit had constant water dripping into it 24/7...We shut the electric off to do work on the house and within 6 hours the pit was 75% full!! BUT WAIT......

No rain....no snow melt...... apparently the house sits on a river (but the river is not visible) and the unground water constantly runs off and into the pit...

Can you imagine owning that home? Gotta be nuts.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
We have a sump pump but we disconnected the power to it. Our property is in an area that was built up from farmland, that had gone fallow and turned mostly to sand. So when it rains, the neighborhood gets pretty wet. We also have a capped well and use city water. During this last storm I was sure we'd get flooded. There was juuuuuuust around an inch of water in the bottom of the pit where the sump pump was built. The basement itself was completely dry, not even a few drops leaking in from the Bilco doors. Around halfway down the block, a neighbor's entire front lawn was submerged.

Our property falls into a 500-year flood zone so we really don't have anything to worry about. Across the street the zone shifts to a 100-500-year zone, but none of the houses across the street have basements so they don't have anything to worry about either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut