U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 PM

16 posts, read 45,135 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are looking for a condo in Branford to rent. We found one that we really like, but it has an electric baseboard heating type. Is it really bad/expensive? We moved to CT form Texas last year and were really shocked by the heat prices . Our current appartment has gas heating, and we still pay $ 280 a month on average in winter. Does it become much worse with electric baseboard heating ?
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 05:22 AM

25,691 posts, read 13,895,896 times
Laughing my >>> off.
1. You're paying $280 a month with gas heat?
2. You're gonna be shocked(no electrical pun intended) when u get your bill.
3. What size is the place your trying to heat?

To give you an idea...a 6 room, 1100sq ft 2 level condo...with heat used in 3 rooms only...the bill was nearing $400 a month....Had I not liked the cold...I'm sure the bill would have been easily $600 for the months. Once the bill was $450 and then I realized I forgot to shut off the basement electric heat...The T-Stat was on 55 only.. LMAO

But I love electric heat. Price just sucks.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,961,863 times
I think you have to get prior power bills on THAT condo because they are all going to be different. I lived in a house in CT that had electric baseboard heat and my total monthly power bill, including heat, A/C, hot water, and all other electric was $385 per month. I thought that was pretty darn reasonable, especially since I am now in VA and have gas and it's running me $400/month PLUS another $125 in electric. Yes it's a bigger house, but still...I wouldn't say it's "cheaper".

Old 05-13-2010, 06:15 AM

6,594 posts, read 6,698,064 times
I've had oil heat, electric baseboard heat, radiators, and gas heat. The most expensive was the electric baseboard heat and it also felt the coldest. I never felt warm with the electric heat. I'd suggest you call the gas and electric company and ask what the heating bills for this condo have been in the past. This will give you a very good idea of what your expenses will be. Best wishes.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,038,326 times
It will be very expensive and not feel warm. Don't take it. However, if you decide to take it, check on whether there is PLENTY of insulation in the attic, and if there is not, tell landlord that you want him to install more insulation as a condition of your moving in. Good layer of insulation above is the most important thing for reducing your energy bill.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,722,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabidopsis View Post
Hi,
We are looking for a condo in Branford to rent. We found one that we really like, but it has an electric baseboard heating type. Is it really bad/expensive? We moved to CT form Texas last year and were really shocked by the heat prices . Our current appartment has gas heating, and we still pay $ 280 a month on average in winter. Does it become much worse with electric baseboard heating ?
Our first condo included heat and hot water in the monthly common charge. It's pretty standard even today. I would look to rent a condo where heat is included in your rent.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 PM

14,470 posts, read 22,949,089 times
Actually I think most condos do not include heat. the only ones I have seen like this are the older apartment conversions. Even most newer apartments do not include heat these days. Jay

Old 05-13-2010, 12:06 PM

7,339 posts, read 7,625,015 times
I pay around 120 dollars per month to heat with electric baseboard and its just me in the condo only heating the main room. Yeah its expensive

Old 05-13-2010, 12:55 PM

2,102 posts, read 5,163,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually I think most condos do not include heat. the only ones I have seen like this are the older apartment conversions. Even most newer apartments do not include heat these days. Jay
I agree. There's not a landlord alive who would give carte blanche to tenants to turn up the heat as high as desired only to open windows when it became too hot. The only instances that I've seen is when one boiler heats two units and individual use cannot be determined.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,722,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I agree. There's not a landlord alive who would give carte blanche to tenants to turn up the heat as high as desired only to open windows when it became too hot. The only instances that I've seen is when one boiler heats two units and individual use cannot be determined.
Aren't you a realtor?

There ARE many condo complexes that include heat and hot water in the common charges. A quick google pulled up:

Glenbrook - Stamford
Strawberry Hill
Brighton Ct
17 Hope St

Waters Edge - Suffield
One in Fairfield on the market

If I had more time I would list more...I'll be happy to do that later...

The landlord pays the common charges and renter pays him rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut