U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,603 times

Advertisements

We are moving for a job in Norwalk and have 2 children. I have researched the schools in the area and come up with Weston/Westport/New Caanan/Darien/Ridgefield/Wilton and Easton. I am very concerned with living somewhere too 'snobby' after reading the threads on this forum. Is there anywhere that is a bit more friendly where myself and my children are not going to be exposed to the nightmare soccer mom lifestyle and cliques of unfriendly children? I may have got totally the wrong idea but Darien and New Caanan sound particulary bad for this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,935,490 times
I may be the Ridgefield cheerleader, but for a commute to Norwalk, I'd definitely choose Ridgefield. It's a much more down to earth community. I have relatives in Darien and I personally could never live there, no matter how many millions I have. Ridgefield has real people, of all walks of life. Yes there is soccer and little league but the kids are great, not snobby at all. I personally wouldn't live in Wilton, costs more than Ridgefield yet really offers nothing more. Weston/Easton I feel are too remote, same with parts of Redding. I like Westport but it's more expensive and I think snooty than Ridgefield.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:01 AM

262 posts, read 518,873 times
Can you visit the towns you are interested in? I find you can really get a good feel for a place just by walking around and checking out the shops and restaurants and meeting people. It's an affluent area in general, but probably not as snobby as you fear.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:40 AM

24,576 posts, read 40,130,038 times
A lot will depend on your price range and what you expect to get for that price. Ridgefield is a great town and I agree with that suggestion. I would also recommend Fairfield. It is a somewhat diverse town not far from Norwalk with excellent schools and a wide range of housing options. It has a nice downtown area with great shops and restaurants and there are many great family activities. Because it is diverse, you should be able to find people that you will like. Jay

Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 PM

181 posts, read 815,643 times
As a parent, I would recommend not saddling anyone with too long of a commute. These are very active, family centric communities and getting home in time for sports, school concerts, plays etc really makes a huge difference in the quality of life.
Wilton has a range of housing $$, and while affluent, there are many families who value school, church, community and are active in community service as well. Get involved with groups/people with whom you have something in common and you will find your niche.

Don't let preconceived ideas persuade you out of a perfectly acceptable community!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,603 times
Thanks very much for the advice! We are actually from Europe and the company will arrange rental accomodation for us do we don't have to worry about purchasing a house. Just one more question are all these area's within a reasonable commute to Norwalk, I am not sure of the level of traffic but assume it is very busy.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:10 PM

22 posts, read 48,045 times
Welcome to the US! In the morning traffic runs from east to west and vice versa in the afternoon. To go against traffic, New Canaan and Darien would be by far the easiest commute as you are going against traffic but would also be the most expensive places to live. After that, my guess would be that Wilton would be the next easiest commute followed by Westport and Weston. Ridgefield and Easton are further. I'm sure that Ridgefield natives would argue but I find it difficult to go in and out of Ridgefield. Easton would be the furthest commute.

It will really depend on what part of Norwalk you are going too. If closer to 95, Darien would be the easiest commute followed by Westport. If you were closer to the Merritt it would be New Canaan followed by Wilton and Weston. Each of these places would probably be no more than a 15 to 20 commute. The concept of a reasonable commute is in the eye of the beholder. Some people feel that an hour is reasonable, others 20 mins. I can easily say that people would travel MUCH further to get to their place of employment than you will.

As for the town that you live in, I think it depends on what you want. While some areas may be considered snobbier, I think it really depends on the type of people you surround yourself with. If you hang out with people from the yacht club who have nannies raise their kids, then yes people would be snobby. I find that people are nice everywhere. We've moved from Texas by way of London and Singapore and find people in CT may be a bit more reserved but perfectly pleasant.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 PM

129 posts, read 348,209 times
Lived here in Darien for 25 years and am the most unlikely Darien person (grew up in the Bronx).I worried about the same thing when I arrived. Truth be told,yuckky people can be anywhere.Ive made great,friends here who have the same values I do and simply dont hang with those who dont.The town is affluent thats true, but not snobby.Parents in general have lost a great deal of their common sense so this stupid kid centric thing exists everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut