U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 03:35 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,547,076 times

Advertisements

If you like restaraunts and shopping then manchester is your new home. Or manchester area atleast. South windsor, Vernon, Manchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 03:43 PM

90 posts, read 254,657 times
I only went to Manchester once to the Mall but it felt like the suburbs over city like.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,274,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off2CT View Post
I recently graduated college and will be moving to the Hartford area and working in Glastonbury. I have heard a lot of negative things about the area and am wondering where I should be looking for places to live. I am looking to rent an apartment/condo. Being from Chicago, I'm not exactly a huge fan of suburban life and prefer to have lots of restaurants/bars/etc nearby, but I'm also not sure what the suburbs are like in CT.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I feel that Middletown would be the best compromise. New Haven would possibly be the most ideal for you, but it's probably a bit too far from Glastonbury for daily commuting. Places like West Hartford and Glastonbury are really nice, but there's no denying that they're family oriented places not really suitable for a youngster looking for good times. Manchester/Vernon/etc. also lean more toward family friendly, rather than singles paradise.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,221,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogspott View Post
I only went to Manchester once to the Mall but it felt like the suburbs over city like.
Well, it's kind of a burb, but it's also a satellite city. If that's all you saw, you missed 80% of the city.

The mall area is actually the outskirts of the city.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Nice pic! It still looks suburban tho!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 PM

418 posts, read 1,234,513 times
Hartford was the place for me while I was single in the area. I loved being part of the community and being in the core of the region.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,716,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogspott View Post
Nice pic! It still looks suburban tho!
If you want a city, move to a city and stop asking about the suburbs, or complaining that suburbs don't feel like cities. Of course they don't feel like cities. They're not cities.

Hartford is the closest "metropolis" there is to Glastonbury. If you're not interested in moving to Hartford, I'm afraid there just plain isn't anything within reasonable proximity that will resemble a city enough to "feel like a city." Connecticut isn't known for its cities. It is known for its suburbs, and its park-like environments.

In Connecticut, if you want to live in an area that is "like" a city, you have to actually move to a real actual honest to god city. You will not find a "city feel" in the suburbs. Even the city of New Haven isn't very city-ish, compared to NYC, downtown Boston, San Francisco, Miami, or St. Louis.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 PM

What? I never asked anything about suburbs missy.......

Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,716,614 times
No, you commented a few times in this thread that this or that place wasn't city-like, as though to complain that you were echoing the OP's sentiment in wanting a city-like feel, but didn't want Glastonbury (since that's what this thread is about). The point is, people who want a city-like feel, a city atmosphere, the city vibe, the city energy, the city closeness to everything, shouldn't be looking for it in the suburbs. Saying "Manchester doesn't look like a city" is kinda..well, silly. Of course it doesn't look like a city. It isn't a city. It's a town. People have been trying in this thread to direct the OP to something that would suit her interests, and meet her needs at the same time. Manchester is the only thing that comes close.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,274,001 times
Seriously people, can we stay the hell on topic. This childish back and forth bickering on the CT board lately is getting really old.

Just answer the OP's questions. Or, don't say anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or